Draft Review 2008 - Re-do the 2008 draft

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a quality draft, it is surely one of the very best since the draft started. It's a real shame that injuries have hampered several of the top picks.

The top 10:
Dayne Beams (#29) - best player from the draft
Michael Hurley (#5) - quality KPD with elite skills
Nic Nat (#2) - can have an influence on a game like few others
Rory Sloane (#44) - hard, leader and plays with class
Steele Sidebottom (#11) - elite skills and running ability, versatile
Luke Breust (rookie #47) - elite small forward who has been quality since game one
Luke Shuey (#18) - explosive midfielder with great skills, big game player
Dan Hannebery (#30) - hard, gut running mid and a big game player
Phil Davis (#10) - quality KPD
Tom Rockliff (pre-season draft #5) - hard ball magnet

Players 11 to 20:
Michael Walters (#53)
Stephen Hill (#3)
Jack Ziebell (#9)
David Zaharakis (#23)
Liam Shiels (#34)
Tom Lynch (#13)
Neville Jetta (#51)
Daniel Rich (#7)
Liam Picken (rookie #30)
Jack Redden (#25)

Best of the rest:
Hamish Hartlett (#4)
Stephen Motlop (#39)
Jackson Trengove (#22)
Matt Suckling (rookie #81)
Mitch Robinson (#40)
Jack Watts (#1)
Shane Savage (#75)
Jordan Roughead (#31)
Hayden Ballentyne (#21)
Ryan Schoenmakers (#16)
Matt deal Boer (rookie #19)
Ricky Henderson (rookie #10)
Rhys Stanley (#47)
Mike Pyke (rookie #57)

What I acknowledge is how a Demons fan would rush to discount it, as in anyway relevant.
when comparing player, yes, as would most logical people.

If he won a Norm-Smith then it would be relevant.

But since you are claiming Shiels is a top 10 player in this draft we can assume that logic is not your strong point.

What is next? Shoenmakers is better than Hurley because of a premiership too?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

when comparing player, yes, as would most logical people.

If he won a Norm-Smith then it would be relevant.

But since you are claiming Shiels is a top 10 player in this draft we can assume that logic is not your strong point.

What is next? Shoenmakers is better than Hurley because of a premiership too?

Er, No....That's not what I've said nor claimed at all.

My point was that by the end of his career, Shiels body of work could see him move into the top 10.....I can quite easily see both of Hanners & Rocky falling out of that top 10.

Er, No....That's not what I've said nor claimed at all.

My point was that by the end of his career, Shiels body of work could see him move into the top 10.....I can quite easily see both of Hanners & Rocky falling out of that top 10.
3 x AA, 2015 AFLCA winning Dan Hannebery to fall out of the top 10? lol

3 x AA, 2015 AFLCA winning Dan Hannebery to fall out of the top 10? lol

4x Grand Finalist & 3x premiership player as the starting Ruck-rover.....Hanners 1, Rockliff 0.....LOL.

Come back & see me in 5 years time.....That's when this debate will be decided.

4x Grand Finalist & 3x premiership player as the starting Ruck-rover.....Hanners 1, Rockliff 0.....LOL.

Come back & see me in 5 years time.....That's when this debate will be decided.
so just to clear this up Shiels has been/is a better player than Hanners in your opinion?

so just to clear this up Shiels has been/is a better player than Hanners in your opinion?

Again.....Not what I said.

And placing a premium on Healy & his cronies AA selections is also no objective measure.

Hawthorn's era of dominance was the equal of the Cats & yet they received twice the AA nominations over a commensurate period.

I lost count of how many times these clowns simply gave the nomination to Corey Enright, even when one of Gibson or Burgoyne had quite clearly a similar or better year.

Healy's anti-Hawk bias stretches back way over the length of his playing career with both the Demons & the Swans; Where he hardly ever tasted victory against us; & was at the wrong end of many a shellacking over that time......The bloke is a bona-fide joke.

Again.....Not what I said.

And placing a premium on Healy & his cronies AA selections is also no objective measure.

Hawthorn's era of dominance was the equal of the Cats & yet they received twice the AA nominations over a commensurate period.

I lost count of how many times these clowns simply gave the nomination to Corey Enright, even when one of Gibson or Burgoyne had quite clearly a similar or better year.

Healy's anti-Hawk bias stretches back way over the length of his playing career with both the Demons & the Swans; Where he hardly ever tasted victory against us; & was at the wrong end of many a shellacking over that time......The bloke is a bona-fide joke.
So Shield should have multiple AA guernseys should he?

I am just trying to work out on what basis other than the clubs they play for that you would have Shiels ahead or even close to Hanners

So Shield should have multiple AA guernseys should he?

I am just trying to work out on what basis other than the clubs they play for that you would have Shiels ahead or even close to Hanners

Hanners is very much pedestrian working-class, in the same mould as Rockliff & Shiels are.

He'll fit right into & feel perfectly at home in the B-grade Saints midfield.

Hanners is very much pedestrian working-class, in the same mould as Rockliff & Shiels are.

He'll fit right into & feel perfectly at home in the B-grade Saints midfield.
yet only one of them has win an AFLCA award.

If you think anyone would take Shiels over Hanners your kidding yourself

yet only one of them has win an AFLCA award.

If you think anyone would take Shiels over Hanners your kidding yourself

You could have said the same thing for Tom Mitchell over Rockliff a mere 2 seasons ago....and yet, here we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You could have said the same thing for Tom Mitchell over Rockliff a mere 2 seasons ago....and yet, here we are.
Except the fact they were in different drafts, TMitch wasnt 27 and Rockliff never won an AFLCA award

Tom Mitchell was 23 not 27. Big difference, if you aren’t elite by 27 chances are you’re not going to be.

This is a quality draft, it is surely one of the very best since the draft started. It's a real shame that injuries have hampered several of the top picks.

The top 10:
Dayne Beams (#29) - best player from the draft
Michael Hurley (#5) - quality KPD with elite skills
Nic Nat (#2) - can have an influence on a game like few others
Rory Sloane (#44) - hard, leader and plays with class
Steele Sidebottom (#11) - elite skills and running ability, versatile
Luke Breust (rookie #47) - elite small forward who has been quality since game one
Luke Shuey (#18) - explosive midfielder with great skills, big game player
Dan Hannebery (#30) - hard, gut running mid and a big game player
Phil Davis (#10) - quality KPD
Tom Rockliff (pre-season draft #5) - hard ball magnet

Players 11 to 20:
Michael Walters (#53)
Stephen Hill (#3)
Jack Ziebell (#9)
David Zaharakis (#23)
Liam Shiels (#34)
Tom Lynch (#13)
Neville Jetta (#51)
Daniel Rich (#7)
Liam Picken (rookie #30)
Jack Redden (#25)

Best of the rest:
Hamish Hartlett (#4)
Stephen Motlop (#39)
Jackson Trengove (#22)
Matt Suckling (rookie #81)
Mitch Robinson (#40)
Jack Watts (#1)
Shane Savage (#75)
Jordan Roughead (#31)
Hayden Ballentyne (#21)
Ryan Schoenmakers (#16)
Matt deal Boer (rookie #19)
Ricky Henderson (rookie #10)
Rhys Stanley (#47)
Mike Pyke (rookie #57)
Don't think ballantyne is best of the rest. AA aint nothing to sneeze at.

Now that Jack is playing in his best position, he'll be a 40+ goal a year forward for the rest of his career.
if you mean Ziebell, I agree.

Wasnt a below average mid imo but I like him as a forward

2008 is a pretty decent year for names itself.

Hill.
Naitanui.
Rich.
Hartlett.
Hurley.
Davis.
Ziebell.
Shiels.
Sloane.
Walters.
Ballantyne.
Zaharakis.
Trengove.
Jack Redden.
Broadbent.
Rockliff.
Yarran.
Shuey.
Sidebottom.
Beams.
Robinson.
Watts.
Lynch.
Hannebery.
Steven Motlop.
Rhys Stanley.
Savage.
Garlett.
Blair.
De Boer.
Jetta.
Liam Jones.
Picken.
Breust.
Ricky Henderson.
Nahas.
Jordan Roughead.
Sam Wright.

That's my top 38 or whatever but not in order.

From an Eagles POV, I'd take Shuey over Naitanui.

1. Nic Naitanui
2. Rory Sloane
3. Dan Hannebery
4. Luke Shuey
5. Steele Sidebottom
6. Michael Hurley
7. Luke Breust
8. Daniel Rich
9. Michael Walters
10. Dayne Beams
11. Tom Rockliff
12. Stephen Hill
13. Jack Ziebell
14. Hayden Ballantyne
15. Phil Davis
16. Mitch Robinson
17. Neville Jetta
18. Steven Motlop
19. Jeff Garlett
20. Tom Lynch

Bizarre draft. The top-end is fairly weak IMO but there's a stupid amount of depth here. I could roll off at least 10-15 other names that would make plenty of redrafts, and the order is extremely difficult. So I could quite easily see tons of us having a completely different Top 20!

1. Nic Naitanui
2. Rory Sloane
3. Dan Hannebery
4. Luke Shuey
5. Steele Sidebottom
6. Michael Hurley
7. Luke Breust
8. Daniel Rich
9. Michael Walters
10. Dayne Beams
11. Tom Rockliff
12. Stephen Hill
13. Jack Ziebell
14. Hayden Ballantyne
15. Phil Davis
16. Mitch Robinson
17. Neville Jetta
18. Steven Motlop
19. Jeff Garlett
20. Tom Lynch

Bizarre draft. The top-end is fairly weak IMO but there's a stupid amount of depth here. I could roll off at least 10-15 other names that would make plenty of redrafts, and the order is extremely difficult. So I could quite easily see tons of us having a completely different Top 20!
Hannebery has been a better player and had a better career than Sloane.

He's a 3xAll Australian compared to Sloane once and the coaches voted Hannebery the best player in the game in 2015. He's also a premiership player, but I accept that's not significant in the comparison between the two.

Sloane has a couple of B&Fs which is great, but Hannebery reached a higher ceiling in the game, imo.

Hannebery has been a better player and had a better career than Sloane.

He's a 3xAll Australian compared to Sloane once and the coaches voted Hannebery the best player in the game in 2015. He's also a premiership player, but I accept that's not significant in the comparison between the two.

Sloane has a couple of B&Fs which is great, but Hannebery reached a higher ceiling in the game, imo.
I went Sloane over Hanners largely down to longevity. I 100% agree Hanners from 2013-16 had the higher peak - I don't think it was at all a coincidence that our midfield started misfiring after that point - but after that GF injury he never really was fit enough to play at a similar standard. Sloane I think maintained consistency after the next year's GF better.

Very close between the two though and it admittedly varies depending on what you want.

I went Sloane over Hanners largely down to longevity. I 100% agree Hanners from 2013-16 had the higher peak - I don't think it was at all a coincidence that our midfield started misfiring after that point - but after that GF injury he never really was fit enough to play at a similar standard. Sloane I think maintained consistency after the next year's GF better.

Very close between the two though and it admittedly varies depending on what you want.
Hannebery's played over 200 games. That's more than enough in any comparison. He shouldn't pale in comparison with any other player based on longevity because he's well and truly passed the threshold of enough games played.

I'm not disputing where Hill is on the list other than to say that how he ended his career means that I think he's underrated. When he was up and about particularly in the 2012-2015 period he was a sight to behold and was extremely damaging.

He was selected as part of our best 25 after 25 years team and I wonder where he would be on this list if his body had allowed him to play at his peak for longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back