Society & Culture Marijuana and it's legal status

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard Trudeau on radio yesterday committing to have it legalized federally within months. They're debating what the age limit should be set at but looks like it will be in-line with alcohol.

Hey how are you finding the new legal weed?

Has the sky fallen yet? :p

Hey how are you finding the new legal weed?

Has the sky fallen yet? :p

I don’t smoke it myself but no big issues. I don’t think the government were quite ready for the demand. At the moment it’s pretty much only available online so I think most people are still going through their regular dealers for convenience.

I don’t smoke it myself but no big issues. I don’t think the government were quite ready for the demand. At the moment it’s pretty much only available online so I think most people are still going through their regular dealers for convenience.

Yeah i'm sure they will catch up eventually to demand.
Canada has a pretty big % of cannabis users from what i hear.

That's the thing with legalization.
You said you don't partake.
Just because it's legal doesn't mean everyone is going to rush out and start.
Just makes it safer for people that do.

Probably need a few generations to die out before it happens here.
So sadly probably not in my lifetime, just such a backwards country.

If there is one thing this country needs, it is more people pacifying themselves after work and on weekends with mind-altering substances.

If there is one thing this country needs, it is more people pacifying themselves after work and on weekends with mind-altering substances.

What do you mean?

7-8 million of our population already do it illegally.

You think a few more million would suddenly take it up if it were legal?

It's fine, in moderation and doesn't hurt anyone.

Last edited:
People usually do one or the other. If you get a few drinkers converting to weed it might be a good thing. I’ve never heard of somebody king-hitting another in the street because they were high.

Exactly. I know a lot of stoners trot out this line as an excuse, but alcohol is ******* poison and the fact that it is legal while marijuana is not is insane. If it were discovered today, it'd be outlawed.

The biggest issue (imo) is that you usually have two polar opposite opinions on marijuana. You have the old school "it's a gateway drug" and the other " marijuana is perfectly safe with no side effects". Seems to be very little ability from either side to engage in conversation on the topic.

There's no doubt it should be legalised and the first step should be legalising it for medicinal patients, nation wide. Give that a solid year or two and a lot of the "gateway drug" types would realise the sky isn't going to fall in.

When people talk about it being a no brainer for a government because of the revenue it will generate they fail to understand that the money that comes in from big pharma to the two big parties is enough to influence them on the whole debate.

The biggest issue (imo) is that you usually have two polar opposite opinions on marijuana. You have the old school "it's a gateway drug" and the other " marijuana is perfectly safe with no side effects". Seems to be very little ability from either side to engage in conversation on the topic.

There's no doubt it should be legalised and the first step should be legalising it for medicinal patients, nation wide. Give that a solid year or two and a lot of the "gateway drug" types would realise the sky isn't going to fall in.

When people talk about it being a no brainer for a government because of the revenue it will generate they fail to understand that the money that comes in from big pharma to the two big parties is enough to influence them on the whole debate.
i don't think it's harmless, nothing is
but there seems to be a lot more good it can do than a lot of other vices that we allow people to have

i think the good outweighs the bad

if you legalize it, it's one less drug to really worry about from a law enforcement perspective, it's another tax revenue stream

it opens up more research and education options

it reduces exposure to drug dealers who might not just sell pot

uber eats will love it

Yeah I agree.
There is a lack of a middle ground on the subject.
The prohibition has stunted much needed scientific research on the plant.

Weed CAN be problematic if one abuses it.
Like smokes all day everyday or starts to rely on it as a crutch.
Just like many things and other drugs/alcohol.

If you use it in moderation you will not run into any issues.
Just like if one has a few beers every weekend.

The "Reefer madness" & "Devil weed" propaganda really poisoned the views of many of the baby boomer generation.
So many of them spread lies which is what annoys me.

That liberal guy said "Marijuana makes you violent" which is simply not true.
I've never felt aggressive in weed.

David Koch was on sunrise talking to the Greens senator about the topic.
He was so condescending, uninformed and ignorant.
He was flabbergasted to hear that "Alcohol is more dangerous than weed"
I found his attitude offensive as my mum was an alcoholic.
He thinks you can completely eliminate drug use which is idiotic.
Sorry port supporters.

It'll take awhile for old ingrained opinions to fade away.

I first tried Nicotine/Tobacco & alcohol at 15.
And weed at 16.

Never went on to anything else.

If one does progress to harder drugs I'd guess most started with booze and cogs as well.

Anyway the gateway drug argument is old propaganda and it's false.

Seems to be going well in Canada!
Except they are struggling to keep up with the demand.
I'm sure they will get the process fixed up soon.

Meanwhile here in Australia we have mis-informed dinosaurs like this

While i'm not one to say weed is 100% harmless.
It can be abused just like any substance.
It's not the devil drug the Australian government think it is.
It's just as benign as a few beers on a weekend.

It makes zero sense for it to be illlegal.
If we can smoke, drink and gamble our life savings away.
We should be able to buy and smoke when we like.
Without having to support criminals and associate with them.

Sadly i don't see much changing anytime soon.
I think Australia is AT LEAST 50 years off any major changes.

The government are a joke.
They are still spouting off primitive 1940's - 1950's propaganda.

Yep he was definitely brainwashed as a kid and hasn't moved on. FFS he can't even pronounce Sativa correctly :mad:...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SO what? Smoke a joint..
They will sit on a couch. Maybe order a pizza. Someone will tell a joke. Might put Dark Side of the Moon on....
Meanwhile in Alcohol land, hundreds of fights break out across the country, domestic abusive, people dying, One punch attacks, car accidents....all caused by the almighty clean beautiful good legal alcohol.
Get a grip.

SO what? Smoke a joint..
They will sit on a couch. Maybe order a pizza. Someone will tell a joke. Might put Dark Side of the Moon on....
Meanwhile in Alcohol land, hundreds of fights break out across the country, domestic abusive, people dying, One punch attacks, car accidents....all caused by the almighty clean beautiful good legal alcohol.
Get a grip.
Where did I say that I condone alcoholism?

Not something we need to rush in to. 10 years would give us a good insight to the effects of legalisation in the US.
Why would we only look at the legalisation in America and a 10 year case study? There are other countries who have legalised it, not to mention there are heaps of countries that have decriminalised it for years.

Why would we only look at the legalisation in America and a 10 year case study? There are other countries who have legalised it, not to mention there are heaps of countries that have decriminalised it for years.
I'd say other than England, that's the country most like us culturally. Trying to compare us to Portugal for example is pointless.

I'd say other than England, that's the country most like us culturally. Trying to compare us to Portugal for example is pointless.
Would be a very slippery slope for this country if we restricted ourselves to England & the U.S as our only means of inspiration.
I’d also disagree, culturally we are incredibly different to the States.

Would be a very slippery slope for this country if we restricted ourselves to England & the U.S as our only means of inspiration.
I’d also disagree, culturally we are incredibly different to the States.
Not as a source of inspiration, but as a source of research to see the real life effects of decriminalisation in heavily westernised countries (as we are).
Which countries would you look to for inspiration?

Not as a source of inspiration, but as a source of research to see the real life effects of decriminalisation in heavily westernised countries (as we are).
Which countries would you look to for inspiration?
Inspiration probably the wrong word. I’d look at countries that have had it legalised/decriminalised longer; Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Canada, most of South America.
Not sure the United States is the best place due to their state and federal laws being seperate and the fact that majority of the states still have it classified as illegal.
Even in some states where it is legal, it’s still federally illegal. Not really relevant to our culture.

Very jealous of the US after being there in January.

Walked into a store on Fairfax near Melrose, was very clean and the staff were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and passionate.

It's much safer being able to go into a store and ask professionals to get what's right for you, rather than buying off dealers and not knowing what you're getting.

Legalise it

Very jealous of the US after being there in January.

Walked into a store on Fairfax near Melrose, was very clean and the staff were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and passionate.

It's much safer being able to go into a store and ask professionals to get what's right for you, rather than buying off dealers and not knowing what you're getting.

Legalise it
Whilst I do enjoy being able to go into a shop and buying it over here, the price is far greater and the quality isn't as good as on the black market. If you don't know what you're getting off your dealer then you need to change dealers.
If the government is serious about legalising it to put a dint in the black market, then they need to give businesses the chance to grow weed without so many regulations that make companies overheads so much that they need to sell it at stupid prices.
I also worry about the direction the Australian government is heading, there's roughly 25-30 licenced producers in Australia now, which in itself is too many considering there are only roughly 10,000 registered patients last time I checked, but majority of those companies are the big dogs from Canada. Canopy Growth (Constellation) have their hand in a few pies, and MediPharm are currently building in Gippsland and plan to be operational by June next year.
The government need to make the cultivation & processing licences not so much easier, but more attractive to smaller businesses that would be able to produce quality over quantity that can compete with the black market.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back