• Yes - current players only please

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No - some historical data is a nice reference

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Who cares, I never read this thread anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you know or have a theory on why he was overlooked?

If we track backwards...

* Conditioning was magnificent
* Apparently has high footy IQ and talent I.e. knows how to play, not just athlete
*doesnt lack for pressure and defensiveness

Clubs got interested when he showed commitment and discipline at Sturt, despite there being little evidence going by his testing that he was anything but a physical specimen and a half

Let’s just say I wonder if a white player would’ve been overlooked in those circumstances?

But obviously I don’t know

Do we have a team rule that midfield type players don't leap until their third year on the list? Milera started to show signs of having a good leap last year, had a crack a few times. Never seen gooch even look like getting off the ground! Hopefully Jones and McAdam start a lot sooner than is normal.

At least Doedee started early, although he was a few seasons in anyway...and isn't a mid player.

On Rory Sloane: "Competitive defender who can also play in the midfield or forward. Wins his own ball, is strong overhead and is excellent in one-on-one situations. Vic Metro U18 representative in 2008 and won the Eastern Ranges Best and Fairest and the TAC Cup Coaches Award. His endurance featured at the NAB AFL Draft Camp where he ranked second in the beep test (14.5) and sixth in the 3km test. His 2.98secs for 20m also showed his all-round athletic excellence. From Upwey-Tecoma FC." See #23 by jo172 at https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/nd-pick-44-rory-sloane-discussion.521433/page-2

they should redo the 20m sprint at the end of the beep test, that way we'd get a good understanding of how quick they're likely to look when playing AFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only because Im pi**ed we didn't get that guy that was a SA lad taken at pick 53 in the same draft, he seems to have achieved soooooooooo much more
Nah, he's still s**t

Nah, he's still s**t

having a pretty good year this second half of the year but I guess with what he achieved in his junior career was probs to be expected but not expected by those that count

AFL

Junior

• Larke Medal: 2016
  • Under 18 All-Australian: 2016
  • Under 18 South Australia captain: 2016
  • Under 16 South Australia captain: 2014

having a pretty good year this second half of the year but I guess with what he achieved in his junior career was probs to be expected but not expected by those that count

AFL

Junior

• Larke Medal: 2016
  • Under 18 All-Australian: 2016
  • Under 18 South Australia captain: 2016
  • Under 16 South Australia captain: 2014
His AFL achievements are a premiership? Perhaps we should draft Clay Sampson then...

His AFL achievements are a premiership? Perhaps we should draft Clay Sampson then...

AS opposed to Myles extensive achievements of 2 games and achieving nothing as a junior

That GF in itself was amazing for him booting 3 and putting Sloane in his back pocket, but forget the larke medal AA or captaining SA every year

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

It is what it is, hes part of a list that doesn't look like making finals for a few years wouldn't you say?

AS opposed to Myles extensive achievements of 2 games and achieving nothing as a junior

That GF in itself was amazing for him booting 3 and putting Sloane in his back pocket, but forget the larke medal AA or captaining SA every year

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

It is what it is, hes part of a list that doesn't look like making finals for a few years wouldn't you say?
Woohoo Larke medal. It's a great achievement, but doesn't mean they're suited to AFL football .

Sometimes the Heismann trophy winner is drafted 1 overall, sometimes they're not drafted. Because juniors is not the same as professional sport.

Woohoo Larke medal. It's a great achievement, but doesn't mean they're suited to AFL football .

Sometimes the Heismann trophy winner is drafted 1 overall, sometimes they're not drafted. Because juniors is not the same as professional sport.

2009David Swallow (WA)
Andrew Hooper (Vic Country)
New South Wales /Australian Capital Territory NSW/ACTDylan McNeil (NSW/ACT)
2010Victoria (Australia) Vic CountryHarley Bennell (WA)Tasmania TasmaniaSam Darley (Tas)
2011Victoria (Australia) Vic MetroStephen Coniglio (WA)Tasmania TasmaniaJohn McKenzie (Tas)
2012Victoria (Australia) Vic MetroLachie Whitfield (Vic Country)Northern Territory Northern TerritoryJake Neade (NT)
2013South Australia South AustraliaDom Sheed (WA)Tasmania TasmaniaLiam Dawson (Qld)
Kade Kolodjashnij (Tas)
Toby Nankervis (Tas)
2014South Australia South AustraliaChristian Petracca (Vic Metro)New South Wales /Australian Capital Territory NSW/ACTIsaac Heeney (NSW/ACT)
2015Victoria (Australia) Vic CountryJosh Schache (Vic Country)Queensland QueenslandBen Keays (Qld)
2016Victoria (Australia) Vic MetroJack Graham (South Australia)New South Wales /Australian Capital Territory NSW/ACTJack Bowes (Qld)
2017Victoria (Australia) Vic MetroOscar Allen (Western Australia)Nick Blakey (Sydney)
2018South Australia South AustraliaSam Walsh (Vic Country)

Some people say you can set your watch to the opposite of whatever Marty says.

I disagree. I don’t think you can set your watch to the opposite of whatever Marty says.

In this case as things stand Graham is miles ahead of Poholke. Anything is still possible but any rational person would have to say the odds are well in favour of Graham having the much better career.

Even allowing for Poholke’s pretty good pace.

Back