Prediction Who will finish higher - Melbourne, Essendon, Adelaide or Hawthorn

Who finishes higher in 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's like, it's like you're giving no homage to the considered view going into 2019 that a team with more than 40% of their best 22 being 30 years plus, will flounder.
A majority of these players are only just turning 30. Do you expect them to be significantly worse players because they are 6 months older than the last time they played football?

Bombfire

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Napier St.
AFL Club
Essendon
A majority of these players are only just turning 30. Do you expect them to be significantly worse players because they are 6 months older than the last time they played football?
If over 40% of you're best 22 is over 30 years old it is indeed a significant metric for the hawks list management team to take into consideration when they sit down and work out whether we draft or trade out of the draft. That's irrespective of when a player turns 30.
The drop off and speed between pre- season when everything looks great, and the season proper when the heat is on can be bewildering.

If over 40% of you're best 22 is over 30 years old it is indeed a significant metric for the hawks list management team to take into consideration when they sit down and work out whether we draft or trade out of the draft. That's irrespective of when a player turns 30.
The drop off and speed between pre- season when everything looks great, and the season proper when the heat is on can be bewildering.
You've posted this over 40% of our best 22 comment a few times.
So who are they?

Quite simply the oldest players on your list- can’t see any of them not being included in your starting 22.
list them out for me, I'm still trying to work out how you come to the conclusion that over 40% of our best 22 are over 30

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think chances for the flag next year look a bit like this
Tier 1 - Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne, GWS
Tier 2 - West Coast, Essendon, Hawthorn, North Melbourne
Tier 3 - Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide, Fremantle
Tier 4 - Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Brisbane, Port Adelaide
Hell Freezes Over Tier - Gold Coast
Carlton tier - Carlton

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think chances for the flag next year look a bit like this
Tier 1 - Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne, GWS
Tier 2 - West Coast, Essendon, Hawthorn, North Melbourne
Tier 3 - Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide, Fremantle
Tier 4 - Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Brisbane, Port Adelaide
Hell Freezes Over Tier - Gold Coast
Carlton tier - Carlton
Not outrageous

Bombfire

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Napier St.
AFL Club
Essendon
list them out for me, I'm still trying to work out how you come to the conclusion that over 40% of our best 22 are over 30
I'm sure you have a decent handle on who might be the players who will be playing footy for Hawthorn in 2019 at 30 plus.
Why don't you tell us what you get and we can compare notes?

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Go to your list, pick out all those playing in 2019 at 30 plus. They are your in your starting 22.
Voila.
Let me know if there are any other problems.

22 * .4 = 8.8, so there must be 9 players over 30 to be more than 40% in the best 22. Hawthorn have 8 players over 30 and in order to count all 8 in the best 22 then you must ignore Birchall's injury and also include Henderson. And count guys like McEvoy who don't turn 30 until well over halfway through the season.

I can see why you refused to do the work. Because you're wrong. Embarrassing.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
22 * .4 = 8.8, so there must be 9 players over 30 to be more than 40% in the best 22. Hawthorn have 8 players over 30 and in order to count all 8 in the best 22 then you must ignore Birchall's injury and also include Henderson. And count guys like McEvoy who don't turn 30 until well over halfway through the season.

I can see why you refused to do the work. Because you're wrong. Embarrassing.
Geezus.

I've always thought that if you have to exaggerate to make a point, then it's not a very good point.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North in Tier 2 is a worry.
Crows in Tier 2, North dropped to 3.
I could consider looking at it like this

Tier 1 - Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne, GWS - all really solid teams with upside
Tier 2 - West Coast, Essendon - one we expect to drop off (from 1st place) and one we expect to rise
Tier 3 - Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide, Fremantle - all dangerous sides on their best days but also have their flaws
Tier 4 - Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Brisbane, Port Adelaide - WB and BL are too green, the other are green and generally disorganised
Poo tier: GC, Carlton

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not the slightest bit embarsassed.
Every Hawk going around would include Birchall and Hendo in their starting 22. As that head****ed moderator Abasi said, Birchall is only in for a clean up. Hendo played just about every game in 2018 so he's a definite old codger in 2019.
Let me reiterate, over 40% of your best 22 will be playing football in 2019 at 30 plus which includes bog boy.
It's not hard really to understand.
Hendo is better than a fully fit Scully?

Quelle imbecile!

Bombfire

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Napier St.
AFL Club
Essendon
I could consider looking at it like this

Tier 1 - Collingwood, Richmond, Melbourne, GWS - all really solid teams with upside
Tier 2 - West Coast, Essendon - one we expect to drop off (from 1st place) and one we expect to rise
Tier 3 - Hawthorn, North Melbourne, Geelong, Sydney, Adelaide, Fremantle - all dangerous sides on their best days but also have their flaws
Tier 4 - Western Bulldogs, St Kilda, Brisbane, Port Adelaide - WB and BL are too green, the other are green and generally disorganised
Poo tier: GC, Carlton
Looks like Shiel has made all the difference to the team from Tulla.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not just Shiel though is it? Another year of the three Ss gelling with the team, a better year out of Daniher (though that's not off to a good start), Francis and Langford finally showing the promise they had in the juniors, other high picks like Parish and McGrath maturing. Not hard to imagine all those potential pros turning into on-field success for the struggling Dons.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
The thing about Shiel (and yes, I'll once again highlight that I wanted him at Hawthorn, and that Hawthorn wanted him at Hawthorn) is that he looks a lot better than he is.

The dude looks like an absolute weapon. He looks really really good - strong build, really quick. Burst out of packs and looks a million bucks - and now he's being paid a million bucks.

But he was behind Ward, Kelly, Cognilio in that midfield at GWS.

Like Tom Mitchell and Josh Kennedy before him, I think he'll rise with added responsibility - but I don't think he will be the saviour of their middle-of-the-road midfield. he'll improve it, no doubt, but don't think he is good enough to launch them into top 4 contention.

Bombfire

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Napier St.
AFL Club
Essendon
Not just Shiel though is it? Another year of the three Ss gelling with the team, a better year out of Daniher (though that's not off to a good start), Francis and Langford finally showing the promise they had in the juniors, other high picks like Parish and McGrath maturing. Not hard to imagine all those potential pros turning into on-field success for the struggling Dons.
Yes, there is a lot to work with. Getting it all to come together is the key to turning it around for Hep and his men.

Bombfire

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2007
Napier St.
AFL Club
Essendon
The thing about Shiel (and yes, I'll once again highlight that I wanted him at Hawthorn, and that Hawthorn wanted him at Hawthorn) is that he looks a lot better than he is.

The dude looks like an absolute weapon. He looks really really good - strong build, really quick. Burst out of packs and looks a million bucks - and now he's being paid a million bucks.

But he was behind Ward, Kelly, Cognilio in that midfield at GWS.

Like Tom Mitchell and Josh Kennedy before him, I think he'll rise with added responsibility - but I don't think he will be the saviour of their middle-of-the-road midfield. he'll improve it, no doubt, but don't think he is good enough to launch them into top 4 contention.
The word is that Shiel dropped a huge packet to come to the Dons so is unlikely to be paid a million bucks, as you indicate.

Back