Opinion Beams Trade [Officially derailed: Now disussing the folly of gambling, net negative players and the merit of Sier]

Beams deal: Did we overpay?

• Yes

Votes: 107 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 159 59.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Beams will make us better in the present and we'll still pick up Quaynor and Kelly for the future.

As good an outcome that is the real worry for the opposition should be if we can get the bodies of Moore and Elliott right.

If Wells can surprise also like Mayne this season and Dunn, Reid or Roughead can do the job as a genuine key defender that is potentially up to 5 players we can add to our GF side that will only make it stronger.

All we need is a bog standard run with injuries in 2019 and we'll be very hard to beat.

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Beams will make us better in the present and we'll still pick up Quaynor and Kelly for the future.

As good an outcome that is the real worry for the opposition should be if we can get the bodies of Moore and Elliott right.

If Wells can surprise also like Mayne this season and Dunn, Reid or Roughead can do the job as a genuine key defender that is potentially up to 5 players we can add to our GF side that will only make it stronger.

All we need is a bog standard run with injuries in 2019 and we'll be very hard to beat.
Tell him his dreaming

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I voted we payed a little too much for Beams which I think we have but we do have access to Quainor and Kelly which I think mitigates paying to much for Him.In all others areas of our trading I have been fine with certainly not D-,I respect KM views but I am sorry he lost me when he suggested we bring in AJ from the Swans and this was after his 6th yes 6th knee reconstruction which I thought was bizarre to say the least.

I will be very satisfied with our trading if we keep MaClarty on the list as he has had only 2 very injury riddled seasons and I am not sure he has been given enough time to see what the club has here,Gault had 5,I think he must get at least another 1 and Preferably 2 yrs as he is only 20 1.99cm and 100kg.

Tbone McGraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
I said this in the trade and drafts thread that Beams can allow us to play Pendles off half back.

Or Beams could go and play half forward.

Good mids can play anywhere except ruck and key position. Look at Dusty, Danger, Ablett and our own DeGoey.

We are fine with our ruck.

Our key position needs a bit of work, but we almost won a comp this year with what we have.

This is looking a better and better trade the more I look at it.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
In some circumstances it is - eg when you want the father/son & academy players we want this draft it is far more relevent. In a year where that isn't the case then I will always maintain pick 2 is worth much more than pick 10 and 18 (for instance) because of the much higher probability of an outright gun.

I am not so hung on the draft round but rather the pick number. We hope the 2019 first round pick is 18. It could be 1 (unlilkely I know but just to illustrate).

FWIW I think the points alaysis is over done becuse you can't ever make up for not drafting Pendlebury and Thomas at 2 & 5 by taking 15 of whoever was drafted at pick 20 that year. I'd trade double the points difference away to half the pick number if we held pick 10.

I think we need to reserve any angst until it actually plays out. Could equally be a dozen FS or academy picks who slot in before our pick forcing it down into the 20's. As we saw this year, the Murray trade could have been a down the order of something like 30 odd picks, ended up being something like 13 or 14 spots.

BigDavo

Debutant
Aug 8, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
The trade was:

IN: Dayne Beams, Pick 41 (round 3), Pick 44 (round 3)
OUT: Pick 18 (round 1), Pick 56 (round 3), 2019 round 1 Selection

Did we overpay?
Maybe not as it not a strong draft when you get over pick 18 in this years draft. next year draft our first pick time will tell.

I think everyone had a Win in the Trade.

We are got what we wanted this Year by getting Picks to help us get Kelly and Quyanor without going into Deficit for next years draft and Lions got 2 High Draft Picks

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
The more I consider where we fell down on the grand final. the happier I am with the Beams acquisition.
He’d have been another elite player (moving out a medium talent) on that day.
It may very well been worth a goal or so (for us).

Ofcourse each game is unique to its own circumstances.

But very pleased to have Dayne, he’s real quality A grade to elite. That helps bring us closer to the game we want most of all to win.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
The more I consider where we fell down on the grand final. the happier I am with the Beams acquisition.

We lost because we couldnt control Darling and Kennedy.

Beams is not what we need positionally speaking. But when a player that good wants to be traded to your club, you do what it takes to land him. He improves our strengths though, not our weaknesses.

We lost because we couldnt control Darling and Kennedy..

and Also how they Stopped Grundy having a Big Impact on the Game that Effected how Effective our Mids where or Non-Effective they where

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

Beams is not what we need positionally speaking. But when a player that good wants to be traded to your club, you do what it takes to land him. He improves our strengths though, not our weaknesses.
I think the clearances in the last Qtr was the difference. On the 2 occasions we got it out effectively we kicked 2 goals. From then on we struggled. Having the option of throwing Beams in there to wrestle it back would have made the difference I believe.

I think the clearances in the last Qtr was the difference. On the 2 occasions we got it out effectively we kicked 2 goals. From then on we struggled. Having the option of throwing Beams in there to wrestle it back would have made the difference I believe.

and Maybe Grundy having more Impact be the Difference

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Agree on both the points. Kennedy and Darling killed us. But you always pick up elite talent when you can, no matter where they play.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Yeah, they crushed us in the middle. But we were still monstered when they got if forward -- out key backs were just too small.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
I think the club was gunning to get both Beams and May with their two first round draft picks but Brisbane held firm, from this perspective CFC overpaid. If the club was in a position to offer a top 5 first round draft pick and a future top 10, the deal might have got done...

I think the club was gunning to get both Beams and May with their two first round draft picks but Brisbane held firm, from this perspective CFC overpaid. If the club was in a position to offer a top 5 first round draft pick and a future top 10, the deal might have got done...
Melbourne had to use pick 6 to get May which they got from losing Hogan. We were never going to be able to retain our top players whilst getting Beams and May in the same trade period.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
No chance we were going to get May. Moore and Langdon were the biggest flight risks during trade period and they both are not as valuable picks-wise as Jesse Hogan.

We only overpaid if we went into deficit with matching bids. I firmly believe that we never really had our eyes on too many more players than Quaynor and Kelly. As long as we got those two without going into deficit the Beams trade works well.

I say we had Back-Up Planes JUST in Case we pass because of Cost was too much

Back