Gym & Misc CrossFit

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Someone on here not long ago suggested a CrossFit thread. I thought while on holidays I might create one.

For those who aren't in the know "CrossFit is promoted as both a
physical exercisephilosophy and a competitive fitness sport, incorporating elements from high-intensity interval training, Olympic weightlifting, plyometrics, powerlifting, gymnastics, girevoy sport, calisthenics, strongman, and other exercises".

The main component of CrossFit is what are called WODs, workout of the day. Only the top athletes do the workout as prescribed. This is called "rx" Everybody else scales it to what they are capable of. This is usually in terms of weight but may include change of exercise, e.g. step ups instead of box jumps or knee raises instead of toes to bar. This was our workout today.

20181220_180015.jpg
Screenshot_20181220-174550.jpg

I scaled by doing box push ups, band-assisted pull ups and step ups.

CrossFit has come under criticism, mainly due to the claim that it leads to injury. But I have been doing it for four years and, apart from a couple of niggles, haven't been injured. If you scale appropriately it is relatively safe.

I am happy to answer any questions but if you just want to criticise it with a closed mind take it elsewhere.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Can you tell us more about the camaraderie/social aspects of crossfit?

All I get from the boofheads at my gym are grunts and the occasional "are you using dat fing mate?"

The community aspect is what I love about CrossFit. I've made so many friends through Cross Fit. As I've said before on this board, I admire people who have the motivation to go to the gym and work out on their own every day but for me having the support and encouragement of others drives me. When I made the Cross Fit Masters state finals earlier in the year it was great to go with other friends who had made it. We did a road trip down to Brisbane together and had an amazing weekend.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
This morning's workout.

Screenshot_20181221-113942.jpg

Deadlfts 80/60 = 80 kilos for men, 60 for women
hspu = handstand push ups
cal = calories on the rower
DU = double unders

I did this one RX, as written.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Today's Workout

Screenshot_20181222-163531.jpg

For the first part did the T2Bs and Deadlifts rx. For the second part I did band-assisted ring dips and 60 kilo squat cleans.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
This morning's WOD.

Screenshot_20181224-131150.jpg

AMRAP means as many rounds as possible in the allocated time (24 mins).

I got through 4 complete rounds and up to 25 double unders in the 5th.

Knees were feeling a bit iffy this morning so I avoided the knee movements. I replaced the KB lunges with KB swings, and the 200m runs with 250m rows.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Today's WOD

Screenshot_20181228-173708.jpg

EMOM - Every Minute On the Minute. I did it rx, except the dumbbell snatches which I did at 20k.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
I used to do Crossfit - but burnt out (wasn't watching my nutrition, working, stressed out, young kids etc).

Loved the exercise and the burnout you felt after a workout.

Having done a lot more reading, watching and learning since then these workouts seem crazy the way they mix skilled lifts (deadlifts, snatches, etc) with burpees and dynamic, explosive movements like that in the same workout. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

Also the Crossfit Gym near me shut down after I left and I blame myself as I was the obviously the community glue.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Our WOD today was dedicated to a CrossFitter from my region who lost his life over the New Year period.

Screenshot_20190105-131534.jpg

I did rx except for substituting 3 wall walks for the 12m handstand walk.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Having done a lot more reading, watching and learning since then these workouts seem crazy the way they mix skilled lifts (deadlifts, snatches, etc) with burpees and dynamic, explosive movements like that in the same workout. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

It can be if the loading is inappropriate for the athlete's level of conditioning.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Track work today.

Screenshot_20190109-224214_Zen Planner.jpg

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

i was always amazed they didn't have more injuries. The gym i went to taught some bad technique too which added to the problems.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
community is what puts me off CrossFit. Too many bros high fiving and carrying on like *******s. I like to work out alone so i don't need to deal with other people's BS>

That's cool. Each to their own. I've never seen anyone carry on like *ers though. It's pretty subdued IMO.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Today's WOD

Screenshot_20190115-200400_Zen Planner.jpg

My back squat 1rm is 130 so did the squats at 100, 105 and 110.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
That's cool. Each to their own. I've never seen anyone carry on like ******s though. It's pretty subdued IMO.

I would also being willing to bet good money that 99% of the population would progress much better in the right social lifting environment than training alone.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Someone on here not long ago suggested a CrossFit thread. I thought while on holidays I might create one.

For those who aren't in the know "CrossFit is promoted as both a physical exercisephilosophy and a competitive fitness sport, incorporating elements from high-intensity interval training, Olympic weightlifting, plyometrics, powerlifting, gymnastics, girevoy sport, calisthenics, strongman, and other exercises".

The main component of CrossFit is what are called WODs, workout of the day. Only the top athletes do the workout as prescribed. This is called "rx" Everybody else scales it to what they are capable of. This is usually in terms of weight but may include change of exercise, e.g. step ups instead of box jumps or knee raises instead of toes to bar. This was our workout today.

View attachment 597340 View attachment 597341
I scaled by doing box push ups, band-assisted pull ups and step ups.

CrossFit has come under criticism, mainly due to the claim that it leads to injury. But I have been doing it for four years and, apart from a couple of niggles, haven't been injured. If you scale appropriately it is relatively safe.

I am happy to answer any questions but if you just want to criticise it with a closed mind take it elsewhere.
Please explain to me the science based around those workouts and how they come into the STRENGTH based category?

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Our WOD today was dedicated to a CrossFitter from my region who lost his life over the New Year period.

View attachment 601592

I did rx except for substituting 3 wall walks for the 12m handstand walk.
In 18 minutes why would you be completing AMRAP on two incredibly complicated strength movements that require significant learning and technique focused components? Snatches and squats are complicated movements and subjecting someone to them when fatigue and lactic build up is present is not the way correct exercise prescription should work.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Today's WOD

View attachment 599394

EMOM - Every Minute On the Minute. I did it rx, except the dumbbell snatches which I did at 20k.
Absolutely pathetically uneducated that you would allow someone to train this way. Deadlifts and snatches after 100m runs and burpees? So you want to fatigue and fatigue repeat the subject? I very much doubt the majority of people would be able to do a snatch correctly, let alone having to do it in fatigued settings.

Word of warning to the general public; steer clear of this if you’re a beginner.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
The problem with these workouts posted on here is that they are not backed by science or programming. They are literally made up. A WOD is something that a ‘trainer’ has created to be appealing, marketable and with a ‘fatigue repeat’ concept.

The average punter off the street is not given a full and thorough bio mechanical assessment, they are not taught technique, they are subjected to what is considered to be a ‘burnout’ which is essentially excessive interval training combined with complicated weight lifting movements.

When fatigued and under stress you lose the ability to focus and concentrate, how can you be expected to maintain a deadlift pattern correctly when you’re pushing 80% of your max heart rate and not completing correct rest intervals?

Last edited by a moderator:

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
The problem with these workouts posted on here is that they are not backed by science or programming. They are literally made up. A WOD is something that a ‘trainer’ has created to be appealing, marketable and with a ‘fatigue repeat’ concept.

The average punter off the street is not given a full and thorough bio mechanical assessment, they are not taught technique, they are subjected to what is considered to be a ‘burnout’ which is essentially excessive interval training combined with complicated weight lifting movements.

When fatigued and under stress you lose the ability to focus and concentrate, how can you be expected to maintain a deadlift pattern correctly when you’re pushing 80% of your max heart rate and not completing correct rest intervals?

Your last paragraph is complete and utter bullshit.
Injury rates are comparable to other gym pursuits (Powerlifting, bodybuilding, weightlifting) and are lower than what is reported in Zumba.
https://thebarbellphysio.com/truth-crossfit-injuries/

Last edited by a moderator:

raskolnikov

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
Absolutely pathetically uneducated that you would allow someone to train this way. Deadlifts and snatches after 100m runs and burpees? So you want to fatigue and fatigue repeat the subject? I very much doubt the majority of people would be able to do a snatch correctly, let alone having to do it in fatigued settings.

Word of warning to the general public; steer clear of this if you’re a beginner.

They were dumbbell snatches, which are completely different to barbell snatches. Dumbbell snatches are quite simple technique wise.

If we were to eliminate any sport that causes fatigue you wouldn't have many left. You may want to research HIIT.

And beginners are not expected to do this. Everyone scales to their level of ability or fitness. I've been doing CrossFit for four years and still rarely do the workouts as prescribed. And I've never had an injury.

As I said in the OP, this thread is for those with a genuine interest in CrossFit. Not really looking to engage with those who simply want to bash it. So I'm not responding any more. There are enough threads for that already.

Back