Status
Not open for further replies.

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
One player that should be interesting to watch this year is Weiters. Has come back from the break in terrific condition. Looks very lean, but powerful and strong.

View attachment 599477

One thing Dale Amos kept impressing upon Weitering during the match sims was follow up and make himself an option once he'd disposed of the ball to a team mate. To be pro-active after disposing of the ball to create and influence the play. With his elite kicking, it's not hard to see why they want Weitering to be more influential and damaging.

View attachment 599478
All photos by yours truly.

It'll be interesting to see if Marchbank and/or Plowman become injured for any significant period of time if Bolton goes with Jones & Macreadie as the KPDs and returns Weitering to that 3rd tall intercept defender, a position he played with such aplomb in his first year.
I think this year and next is when Weiters will take the next step. People calling him a bust this year will eat their words. People forget he is 21 and most young KPD havent even debuted at this age

I think this year and next is when Weiters will take the next step. People calling him a bust this year will eat their words. People forget he is 21 and most young KPD havent even debuted at this age

Was never ever ever on the SaCk T100 bandwagon, reckon he could equal if not better than Rance.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
For those of you who've watched a fair bit of Kym LeBois ply his trade at the Northern Blues over the last couple of years, where do you see he's at with his footy???

View attachment 599479

The thing that surprised me was how easily LeBois fell off his opponent (Simmo) during the match sims. None of these matches lasted more than 10-15 minutes tops and it wasn't as though the ball spent much time in the Orange Teams front half, so fatigue was unlikely to be a factor.

View attachment 599480

He's gone from being in a position to stick a tackle to leaving it to someone else, in this case SOSOS had just who competed with mark against Jones. Granted Simmo is no slouch and has always had a nice turn of foot, but he's hardly greased lightning these days.

View attachment 599481

LeBois has really fallen away to the point where he's almost out of frame here and in the next shot you won't see him at all. I'm not sure that I see a person with the urgency in his game to make it as an AFL player. This wasn't the only time I noticed this, but it just happened to be the one I caught on camera. Let's hope he can step it up because a quality small forward that can apply defensive pressure while impacting the scoreboard is something we desperately need.

View attachment 599482

Anyway, just some more rambling preseason observations. Will be interested to see if people notice anything else that looks out of place in these shots.

Simmo’s watch or the 2nd footy out there...?
Or is it a Where’s Wally moment?

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
For those of you who've watched a fair bit of Kym LeBois ply his trade at the Northern Blues over the last couple of years, where do you see he's at with his footy???

View attachment 599479

The thing that surprised me was how easily LeBois fell off his opponent (Simmo) during the match sims. None of these matches lasted more than 10-15 minutes tops and it wasn't as though the ball spent much time in the Orange Teams front half, so fatigue was unlikely to be a factor.

View attachment 599480

He's gone from being in a position to stick a tackle to leaving it to someone else, in this case SOSOS had just who competed with mark against Jones. Granted Simmo is no slouch and has always had a nice turn of foot, but he's hardly greased lightning these days.

View attachment 599481

LeBois has really fallen away to the point where he's almost out of frame here and in the next shot you won't see him at all. I'm not sure that I see a person with the urgency in his game to make it as an AFL player. This wasn't the only time I noticed this, but it just happened to be the one I caught on camera. Let's hope he can step it up because a quality small forward that can apply defensive pressure while impacting the scoreboard is something we desperately need.

View attachment 599482

Anyway, just some more rambling preseason observations. Will be interested to see if people notice anything else that looks out of place in these shots.
This year make or break for LeBois, hope it,s make but in fairness to him Simmo has done that to a lot of players, and Jones was impeding him.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Is Rioli out of contract at end of season at richmond ?
Would love to land him or Gresham/Billings using adelaide's 2019 pick as the guts of a trade.
One of the above blokes and Stocker for our 2019 pick sits ok with me ...
Cyril's free, he'd be a chance as long as we don't have Jeff.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

View attachment 599479

View attachment 599480

View attachment 599481

View attachment 599482

Fair points TSG.

The only thing I will add is he only just joined in full training after hamstring issues. Played a half and then came off and did running.

Great kid and has some talent but like a few others he needs to get fit, have a good run with injury and start showing his worth.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
One player that should be interesting to watch this year is Weiters. Has come back from the break in terrific condition. Looks very lean, but powerful and strong.

View attachment 599477

One thing Dale Amos kept impressing upon Weitering during the match sims was follow up and make himself an option once he'd disposed of the ball to a team mate. To be pro-active after disposing of the ball to create and influence the play. With his elite kicking, it's not hard to see why they want Weitering to be more influential and damaging.

View attachment 599478
All photos by yours truly.

It'll be interesting to see if Marchbank and/or Plowman become injured for any significant period of time if Bolton goes with Jones & Macreadie as the KPDs and returns Weitering to that 3rd tall intercept defender, a position he played with such aplomb in his first year.

Weitering just looks in great condition. Controlled the defence in the simulation and got a lot of ball and used it really well. I think he started to believe late in the season. Will now step up. No doubt

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Just out of curiosity would there be any interest in Brandon Ellis as a free agent end of 2019
25 year old
181cm
82kgs
153 games

Strictly outside player looking like being replaced with other options after / during the 2019 season and dont think it would be difficult to move if the right club comes calling.

Not interested in Ellis , probably for the same reasons his papers are stamped at richmond.
Rioli on the other hand fits our needs.
Is he OOC at end of season ?
I would imagine with the addition of Lynch the tigers cap would be tight.
Could an attractive offer lure Rioli to Carlton ?

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Not interested in Ellis , probably for the same reasons his papers are stamped at richmond.
Rioli on the other hand fits our needs.
Is he OOC at end of season ?
I would imagine with the addition of Lynch the tigers cap would be tight.
Could an attractive offer lure Rioli to Carlton ?
Rioli would be impossible to move imo , The kid just loves it at Richmond and i have met him a few times and even had a 30 minute chat with him over a coffee one day in hampton.

I dont believe the cap is any worse than it was last year and Lynch is not on'Huge' dollars as people believe,He accepted a $900k a year deal with richmond for 7 years. We had alot of players leave this year that were on reasonable coin which pretty much easily covers the salary whilst only juniors coming into the club.
Hampson
Miles
Griffiths
Conca
Lloyd
Ellis

One of the things I've always liked about Matt Kennedy is the work he puts in when he doesn't have the ball. Here's a sample over 0.5 seconds.

MK1.jpg

MK3.jpg

MK5.jpg

MK6.jpg

MK7.jpg

All photos by Yours Truly.

Looks lean doesn't he??? Lets hope he can have an uninterrupted preseason and have a cracking year.

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Rioli would be impossible to move imo , The kid just loves it at Richmond and i have met him a few times and even had a 30 minute chat with him over a coffee one day in hampton.

I dont believe the cap is any worse than it was last year and Lynch is not on'Huge' dollars as people believe,He accepted a $900k a year deal with richmond for 7 years. We had alot of players leave this year that were on reasonable coin which pretty much easily covers the salary whilst only juniors coming into the club.
Hampson
Miles
Griffiths
Conca
Lloyd
Ellis

Fair enough.
We'll plunder the saints (Gresham/Billings) for a quality small forward ...

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
One of the things I've always liked about Matt Kennedy is the work he puts in when he doesn't have the ball. Here's a sample over 0.5 seconds.

View attachment 599506

View attachment 599507

View attachment 599508

View attachment 599509

View attachment 599510
All photos by Yours Truly.

Looks lean doesn't he??? Lets hope he can have an uninterrupted preseason and have a cracking year.

Great stuff again TSG. You're really picking up what is going on.

Kennedy has been training as well as anyone and has had the most obvious change in body shape. His speed and ability to change direction is back. Going to see a very different Kennedy in 2019. Underrated and will help Cripps enormously (as will Setterfield Walsh Stocker & Dow :))

Red Bull

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 29, 2010
mornington peninsula
AFL Club
Carlton
Mr Kennedy is one of my favorites TSG. A real footballer. A real mid. A real teammate.

Loving hearing that he's so fit and moving well. A Cripps and Kennedy combo is our future engine imo.

Add Stocker going forward.
Those that count at CFC dropped the magic word re him ... "tough"
Cripps , Kennedy , Stocker ... now thats tough and its been too bloody long since its been said of a Carlton midfield ...

Hampson
Miles
Griffiths
Conca
Lloyd
Ellis
Here's the thing though, if Ellis is genuinely worth $500-600k per season then the Tigers don't part with him until he's 28-29yo and you're absolutely sure of what you've brought in the door lives up to expectations. The things I like about Ellis is his efficiency of ball use and the amount of his disposals that result in retained possession. The thing I don't like about him is his lack of scoreboard impact given he's strictly an outside player and nor does he always take as much territory off the opposition as he might. One of his best attributes though is that he understands his role within the team structure and his ability to carry it out.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Cripps , Kennedy , Stocker ... now thats tough and its been too bloody long since its been said of a Carlton midfield ...

Also Setterfield is a bull and Walsh & Dow have shown they can win the inside ball as well. Going to be a very tough midfield

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Yep. I think it was Agresta who forcefully said to Bolts when we nabbed Stocker "He's tough". That was his selling point. Bolts was pleased.

Personally, i've got an open mind re Stocker. Had him about where he was picked. Certainly not anywhere near 6. But toughness is one of the things you need to see a fair few games to pick up. That's where the pro's come in.

But yeah, toughness. A distant CFC memory. But hopefully our future. It hurt when the likes of Lewis and Hodge would openly treat us with disdain. Rightly so on their behalf. We were a pushover. And we're not talkin' about 70's thuggishness, just modern toughness. It is still a thing. A real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back