Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah apparently it’s frowned upon but I just don’t get the Sandler or Ferrel humour.

I also have no love for Monty Python, Jason Statham or ‘The Fast and the Furious’ movies.. :shrug:

And Harry Potter can just **** right off & take all MARVEL movies with him too.

No I mean how very dare you compare Ferrell to Sandler

Leave No Trace - i really liked this but it wont be for everyone. Was mainly interested for Ben Foster who I think is a underrated actor but it was the young girl Thomasin Mckenzie that carried the film. It was good see a teenager in a film that wasnt either.acting like a 5 year old or like someone in their 20s.

I liked how we learned everything we needed to know about Fosters character organically for the most part without clunky exposition.
I don't think McKenzie was doing anything mind blowing, but geez it was believable.

I'd have them as a nominee for Best Supporting Act, based on what I've seen so far this year.

I don't think McKenzie was doing anything mind blowing, but geez it was believable.

I'd have them as a nominee for Best Supporting Act, based on what I've seen so far this year.

Neither will get nominated as you to campaign for it which is ridiculous but if she was it should be for lead.

At the start they shouldve just shown her giving the talk to the kids and ended it there.
Agree.

I just finished watching Bird Box then and I thought how much better would it have been without the flash forwards of the river journey that popped up every 30mins.

Still an ok film though and well worth a look but for its survivalist/ apocalyptic genre it could of been so much better and easily the best of its kind but sadly the not needed jumping around and flash forwards sort of spoilt it.

Could of been a really good film but instead just above average.

6/10 but had potential to be a 10/10 for its genre but sadly didn’t get there.

Agree.

I just finished watching Bird Box then and I thought how much better would it have been without the flash forwards of the river journey that popped up every 30mins.

Still an ok film though and well worth a look but for its survivalist/ apocalyptic genre it could of been so much better and easily the best of its kind but sadly the not needed jumping around and flash forwards sort of spoilt it.

Could of been a really good film but instead just above average.

6/10 but had potential to be a 10/10 for its genre but sadly didn’t get there.
Was planning to watch it today but sounds like I’ll be disappointed at wasting the time.
Thanks for the unbiased review. :thumbsu:

Was planning to watch it today but sounds like I’ll be disappointed at wasting the time.
Thanks for the unbiased review. :thumbsu:
Still worth a watch mate IMO.

Don’t get me wrong you will watch a heap of worse movies than Bird Box!

Million Dollar Baby - still holds up and still heartbreaking. Kinda weird that Hilary Swanks career never went anywhere after she claimed her 2nd best actress oscar.
Well she is quite outspoken on things like the #metoo movement & the Hollywood “boys club” mentality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither will get nominated as you to campaign for it which is ridiculous but if she was it should be for lead.
Well the studio has to campaign, the actor doesn't necessarily. Mo'Nique won in 2009 without campaigning. Very much the exception though.

She would definitely struggle in Leading though, campaign or not. Category fraud for young actors is as old as the Oscars itself.

The French Connection (1971)

Gritty police drama about two detectives trying to stop a massive heroin importation from France. Some sick action scenes and the like. Really enjoyed and only watched because of Tony Martin's 'Sizzletown'

8/10

Passengers; it gets a little hokey and could have been braver with its end, but I thought it explored the premise really well. I read a short story years ago with the same premise, it was great and while this never reached great heights, it touched on enough to be interesting. Surprised it’s so low on metacritic.

The French Connection (1971)

Gritty police drama about two detectives trying to stop a massive heroin importation from France. Some sick action scenes and the like. Really enjoyed and only watched because of Tony Martin's 'Sizzletown'

8/10
frenchconnection are you named after the clothing store or the movie , or both ? :)

Gattaca
Fantastic thriller with Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman & Jude Law.
Pure science fiction and just so well done. Very recommended. 8/10

Caught up on a few films while travelling, a few that stood out...

Support the Girls
- Regina Hall plays a manager of a Hooters like sports-bar with the film following her through a days work as she single-handedly runs the joint, quite literally supports the girls (the employees), and work through s**t in her personal life. The film is smart, has a lot of thoughtful things to say about the dynamics of this workplace but also, America, but its Hall that elevates the film as whole, she is brilliant. The type of performance I hope gets an Oscar nom. 8/10

Thunder Road - Jim Cummings wrote, directed and starred in this 12 minute short film on Vimeo and then turned it into a feature. It starts the same way the short did - Officer Jim gives an emotional, eccentric eulogy of his mother before doing a dance set to Springsteen's Thunder Road. The rest of the film follows him as he struggles with his grief, dealing with a divorce, his job and trying to connect with his daughter. In some ways I see it as a sister film to Support the Girls, both are quintessential indies, and Cummings like Hall gives a great (but very different) performance. 7.5/10

Minding the Gap - One of the best docos I've seen in a while. Bing Liu has been filming him and his friends skateboard since he was a kid and this chronicles their transition into adulthood whilst traversing one of the more impoverished cities in America. It's as honest and raw look at these kids that really packs a punch. Suffice to say, they've all been through a lot of s**t. I'm not sure how this could be any better. 9.5/10

Roma - There's a scene late in the film where the main character reveals something she's hasn't spoken aloud before and it's as emotional as anything you'll see this year (yes, A Star is Born included). It's simply a beautiful film on all facets and I even though Children of Men is one of my all time favourites, I don't think Cuaron has ever been better. 9.5/10

Caught up on a few films while travelling, a few that stood out...

Minding the Gap
- One of the best docos I've seen in a while. Bing Liu has been filming him and his friends skateboard since he was a kid and this chronicles their transition into adulthood whilst traversing one of the more impoverished cities in America. It's as honest and raw look at these kids that really packs a punch. Suffice to say, they've all been through a lot of s**t. I'm not sure how this could be any better. 9.5/10.

Will check that out as I loved the Dogtown doco and movie

Not a bad little run for you Warsaw. A couple I've also watched this past week:

Support the Girls (2018) - Enjoyable little film with a really strong central performance from Regina Hall and I agree it also has something useful to say. It is no doubt slight, but I got plenty out of it - 7/10

Roma (2018) - Parts are brilliant, specifically some of the cinematography and a few scenes which really hit me hard. Overall though, the characterizations are a little weak, the glacial pace takes its toll and long takes for no apparent reason besides showing off how awesome Cuaron is grate. It's two-thirds of a brilliant film and despite not loving it myself, I am really glad so many people are getting behind what is ostensibly a slow art film - 8/10

First Reformed (2018) - A little like Roma, there are parts I loved but overall was left a little cold. Ethan Hawke, like he has his entire career, quietly delivers an excellent performance and carries the film on his shoulders. I expect both this and Roma, with the weight of hype off my shoulders, will benefit greatly from rewatches - 7.5/10

Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018) - Much like its predecessor, this is a perceptive and highly entertaining film with thrills for the kids and adults. I'm not sure if Ralph has any more big screen life left in him, but this was a sequel that more than stands up to the original, expanding on the world built 6 years ago and providing some fresh material.

Minding the Gap - One of the best docos I've seen in a while. Bing Liu has been filming him and his friends skateboard since he was a kid and this chronicles their transition into adulthood whilst traversing one of the more impoverished cities in America. It's as honest and raw look at these kids that really packs a punch. Suffice to say, they've all been through a lot of s**t. I'm not sure how this could be any better. 9.5/10

Thanks for bringing this documentary to my attention, definitely 9.5/10 worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back