TOP 40 - Ranked Moments from 2016 Finals Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Mattie2016

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I came across this magnificent list on facebook and had to share. Hard to disagree with these! Enjoy!! Credit to: Red WB

TOP 40 Bulldog Moments of the 2016 Finals Series, as chosen by myself and associates…Enjoy the countdown and tell us YOUR magic moment!

**Firstly, the magnificent moment that didn't make the cut: Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydeny, Johannisen unleashes a rocket, fittingly, from upon the Bulldog emblem outside the 50 metre arc. Tears flow as the crowd and JJ believe the second premiership may indeed be on it’s way to Barlky Street, until the goal umpire and technology conspire to threaten to continue the drought curse. The Football Gods however had other ideas, as the list below, and Bulldog history tells us…

40. Q1 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Caleb Daniel’s one-step long bomb goal, as Bulldog supporters around the country shuffle nervously on their sofas, allowing themselves for the first time, to consider that we may not be just making up the numbers…

39. Q1 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Easton Wood’s ice-cool Captainly conversion to open the account after Josh Dunkley’s craftily executed centering cross.

38. Q2 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Clay Smith’s instinctual roving off the pack and adrenaline-pumping, curly snap for his fourth major and then glance to the heavens.

37. Q1 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Captain Wood’s fierce commitment to spoil a mark where Lachie Hunter’s opportunistic roving and lace-out pass finds Dickson. He expertly sends the ball over the goal umpire’s hat to give the Bulldogs the lead for the first time in a Grand Final since the third quarter of the 1961 decider.

36. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Tom Boyd’s enormous pack mark at halfback, splits his opponents and teammates in half and has the punters howling in the aisles

35. Q3 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Caleb Daniel’s mid-air steal and shimmy, before releasing inside 50 to Josh Dunkley for a major

34. Q2 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Toby McLean’s round-house snap to keep the Bulldogs in touch with seconds remaining before half time

33. Q1 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Liam Picken’s three-touch mark in heavy traffic, and conversion to goal

32. Q3 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Jordan Roughead’s enormous vice-like mark inside 50 and centre-splitting goal to raise the roof off the stands and cast doubts, for the first time in four years, that the Hawks can defend their title

31. Q4 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Marcus Bontempelli’s Harlem Globetrotters-like intercept from Hodge and assist to Tory Dickson for a coffin-nailing major

30. Q4 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Liam Picken’s rolling, snaking punt for a goal and roaring celebration that scared children across the nation, and extinguished the Premier’s title defence

29. Q2 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Joel Hamling’s hulking contested mark having outpointed Franklin, to save the day at the last line of defence

28. Q3 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Tom Boyd’s head-first battering-ram escape from a clutch of tackles, before releasing to Clay Smith for a magnificent goal

27. Q1 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Clay Smith’s follow up from his own clearance to run onto a Zaine Cordy assist and smash home the game’s opener to ignite the dreamers

26. Q3 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, again Clay Smith’s superlative centring ball to Tory Dickson for a one-handed slips catch and conversion

25. Q3 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Picken’s glorious contested mark against two defenders, and goal conversion

24. Q3 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Liberatore’s scoop to Bontempelli for a goal to elicit Bruce’s throaty tones – “Of course it’s him!”

23. Q3 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Dale Morris’ desperate smother on Kennedy to prevent a certain goal, typifying the tenacity of the 2016 breed

22. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Easton Wood's second effort after winning a vital contest at half back, to follow up with a brutal and rugged bump on Hanneberry to effectively end the play-maker's day and hand a significant advantage to his team, as only a skipper can.

21. Q3 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Jack-in-the-box Jake Stringer’s leap-frogging right foot snap from the pocket for his third goal and trademark horizontal-arm celebration

20. Q3 Elimination Final Vs West Coast, Jordan Roughead’s contested grab, agile turn and magnificent running, long goal

19. Q2 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Liam Picken’s courage against the flight to mark and absorb all the impact that the Hawk army could muster, before rising immediately from the canvas like Rocky Balboa, unrattled and itching for more

18. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Jake Stringer’s mercurial goal from within the tight dimensions of a phone-box, to give every hopeful son and daughter of the West belief that the unthinkable may just happen

17. Q2 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Lachie Hunter’s over-the-head handball pinpointing Liam Picken for a bending classic goal and exemplifying the class and success of the now-famous 'Bulldog handball club'

16. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Jordan Roughead's mighty momentum halting mark following Jason Johannisen's goal review, which demanded the cruel footy gods to back off, and to signal that the weight of ill-fated history was about to change.

15. Q2 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Marcus Bontempelli’s matrix-like side-step and pass to Tom Boyd who marks down low and squeezes home a left foot snap

14. Q1 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Easton Wood’s sky-scraping hanger on centre wing in front of the adoring and frothing Bulldog-faithful

13. Q1 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Zaine Cordy’s bone-crunching tackle and subsequent goal from the boundary to register a goal – and our first score – at precisely 19:54 on the clock. Charlie and Ted, thank you for your helping hand.

12. Q2 Semi Final Vs Hawthorn, Dual between master and apprentice; Marcus Bontempelli’s chesty nudge when confronted by Hodge, epic mark and goal

11. Q1 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Tory Dickson’s second effort to recover after almost hauling in a classic one hander, to rise to his feet and beat three opponents to jet through a magnificent goal

10. Q3 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Dale Morris’ slide and gather against all odds to extract the leather from his opponent’s grasp and move the ball forward, where Smith put the cherry on top

9. Q4 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Bulldog team defensive effort between Easton Wood, Joel Hamling and Fletcher Roberts to clear the ball from certain-death, enabling Clay Smith to see the ball over the boundary with less than two minutes remaining

8. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Liam Picken’s elegant and iconic, soaring mark from behind, that reminded us all of dad Billy, as pubs across the country roared in approval

7. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Liam Picken charging into an open goal with the glorious backdrop of the red, white and blue army roaring victoriously as the dam wall was obliterated

6. Q4 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Marcus Bontempelli’s deft tap to Tom Liberatore and pinpoint transition to Jack Macrae 30 metres out, to extract the lead from the Giants for the final, magnificent time

5. Q4 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Matt Boyd’s hack out of mid-air landing with Johannisen who embarked on a kamakazi dash through the Orange Sea, to steer a kick in the path of 'The Bont' for a majestic Bulldog goal

4. Q3 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, the extraordinary, rabid, relentless, pressure-packed transition from Tom Boyd to Dunkley, to Bontempelli with ferocious tackling support from Dickson, to the wrenching Liberatore to Stringer, whose parry to Dahlhaus and inside 50 entry results in Smith’s head on collision allowing the ball to ricochet to Daniel for perhaps the hardest-earned team goal in Bulldog final’s history, as Brian Taylor declares “Goal! Play of the year!!”

3. Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Shane Biggs’ extraordinary five-peat individual involvement in 30 seconds of manic and relentless finals footy which ultimately results in Liam Picken ramming home an enormous goal

2. Q4 Preliminary Final Vs GWS, Jake Stringer’s cross to Tory Dickson with 30 seconds remaining seals the deal and sends the tri-colours into their first Grand Final since before the moon landing

1. And the GREATEST MOMENT of them all?...Q4 Grand Final Vs Sydney, despite his broken back, Sir Dale Morris charges down footballing Goliath, Lance Franklin allowing the soon-to-be immortal figure, Tom Boyd, to press the red button, launching a Bulldog Atomic Bomb skyward, scoring a direct hit that paid his salary in one thunderous blow and sent the engraver to collect his tools to etch our name onto the most glorious cup on the planet!

Your thoughts are most welcomed...

13. Q1 Grand Final Vs Sydney, Zaine Cordy’s bone-crunching tackle and subsequent goal from the boundary to register a goal – and our first score – at precisely 19:54 on the clock. Charlie and Ted, thank you for your helping hand.

Woaahhhhhhh.....is this actually true?!! Fossie 32 !!

Woaahhhhhhh.....is this actually true?!! Fossie 32 !!
Yes! :eek:

images

It was all just a blur for me at time , but my most vivid memory was the last Picken goal.
It was only then I could say to myself the long wait is over.
That was just a wonderful moment , one of the great warriors banging the ball into stands as the Bulldogs faithful jumped to their feet with joy :rainbow:

Number 1 has to be the " stadium holds its breath " moment.
Followed by the last play of the PF with Stringer crossing to Dicko.

Thanks for posting that list. Great memories

One moment that I really love and rewatch often that is underappreciayed for mine is #31, Bont's steal off Hodge vs Hawthorn.

After his earlier comprehensive outmarking one on one, the steal and subsequent goal iced the match and really confirmed something special was unfolding

It was all just a blur for me at time , but my most vivid memory was the last Picken goal.
It was only then I could say to myself the long wait is over.
That was just a wonderful moment , one of the great warriors banging the ball into stands as the Bulldogs faithful jumped to their feet with joy :rainbow:

Number 1 has to be the " stadium holds its breath " moment.
Followed by the last play of the PF with Stringer crossing to Dicko.

Where were you sitting when Picko ran into goal?

Second level Olympic stand Mattie.
What about you ?
I was ground level at the 50m line where Stringer ran and released to Picko for that final goal. Got the best view of the Biggs effort too and the Tom Boyd bomb sailing by. Any seat was sacred that day.

A great read that sends tingles down my spine.
Brought back all those memories from a magical 4 weeks.
My stand-outs are:
Easton’s hanger v GWS
Caleb’s goal v GWS
JJ’s run v GWS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#25 is a personal favourite of mine. Brilliant mark from a mid sized player to clutch it first grab with 2 defenders trying to spoil. When he kicked the goal he turned to the crowd for a Picko
pump up, he marked pretty much everything that came to him that night but that was the moment I started to really believe

No 16 for me. I knew at that point not even over ruling from outside the oval could stop us.

Your number 7, Liam Picken's goal after Jake Stringer centered the ball to the goal area is my number 1 because this was the moment everyone knew we had the Premiership. I remember the footage after the goal, the bench was jumping up and down and the coaches were hugging the players on the sideline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back