Mega Thread 2019 List Management, Free Agency & Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect Conca will be used more in the midfield, to provide mature body strength and be the team “hard nut” over the next few years, rather than in defence. So expect him to play round 1. Not sure where Colyer fits in, other than Balla’s role.

We need strong bodies to assist the young-uns
Conca would be well and truly locked in and deservedly so. He can play. He is a flawed player, but the game is full of flawed players, and Lyon will define a role for him that will see him a certain starter.

Colyer is a different story and I can't say that I know enough about his game to say where he sits. Maybe he is in that 15-25 range for us and isn't a certain starter. He does seem like he may be better than he ha shown to date, but we shall see. I think he is immediately ahead of Ballantyne and competing with Langdon for a spot. Perhaps he is part of keeping Walters forward more?

I am not sure that adding top line mid$ is the way to go now. And I think we already have a list to challenge for the 8, especially 2020. Players like North and Valente can be pushing for games by then, and while they may not be A grade, they will be excellent support for Fyfe, Hill(s), Blakely, Brayshaw and Cerra.

I think our recruiters have worked minor miracles with the trades they have pulled off, but I would be very happy to add Sharp or Jackson to our list next year rather than trading out our draft pick. But we saw what opportunity can provide if someone wants to leave and have ultimately benefited by both Weller and Neale seeking bigger paychecks and other homes, so perhaps that continues.

If we targeted Coniglio as a FA and used our first pick on another young mid we would have all the building blocks in place - and would have effective replacements for Neale and Mundy from our ‘14/15 sides. Hopefully the salary cap can squeeze a Coniglio in as his market value is somewhere approaching $1m per year.

If we targeted Coniglio as a FA and used our first pick on another young mid we would have all the building blocks in place - and would have effective replacements for Neale and Mundy from our ‘14/15 sides. Hopefully the salary cap can squeeze a Coniglio in as his market value is somewhere approaching $1m per year.
As long as we can convince him we are on a upwards trajectory he should be gettable.

He would improve our team so much, and let Fyfe and co a lot more freedom.

As long as we can convince him we are on a upwards trajectory he should be gettable.

He would improve our team so much, and let Fyfe and co a lot more freedom.
I would wait and see how the midfield performs in 2019, Brayshaw and Cerra are going to be special players in their own right. That and
Connor, Banfield, Conca, plenty of B and C players.
If we try to play like 2013-2015 the bash and crash style we will be found out pretty quickly, especially when we have more smart users of
the ball.

Jeremy Sharp and a KPB and we'll be set

J Sharp is an outside b flanker or wing, silky skills and knows how to find the ball but not much contested possessions from the games I’ve seen. Not sure if he’s an Eagles or a Dockers Fan!

Plus NGA Henry ! Definitely a Dockers Fan :)

Last edited:
It's hard to know what our next list moves should be until we see how some of what we now have unfolds; of particular interest is the progress of Cerra, Brayshaw, Banfield and maybe Giro, and also the initial year of Valente all as potential inside midfielders to replace Mundy and Neale. The other interest area is whether any of the plethora of small forwards we have can step up.

I would note though that at this stage Henry (2019 Draft) and Western (2020) look like good picks and would bring good speed and skill on the outside; Henry also seems a good size. The odd tall, good marking back that falls through may be of interest, particularly if they have skills, otherwise it is a focus on trying to find the best pieces to replace the engine room.

Ysaye (and others), how do you see Cox fitting? I don't quite see the call for a tall defender* when we have an emerging swing-man to support the likes of Pearce, Hamling and Logue. Especially with Dixon also on the 'to do" list in the forward line.

* apart from the never ending need for depth.

Jackson is a funny one.... Played ruck at the champs, will be an undersized ruck if he stays at his current height - I think he is around 198cm - but his upside is his dexterity and skill level below his knees and his appetite for the contest.
Spatial awareness is really good, must be due to the basketball background.
Kicking is developing but he knows his limitations until it develops further.
Handball was good in the Elimination final against Souths.
Needs to improve his marking, this next year at colts and U18 champs will be interesting.....
- Has he grown?
- Will he become a forward/ruck or ruck/forward? Marking ?????
- Ball by foot needs to develop a lot and then the confidence will come.
- He really could be anything- not unlike a lot of other underagers.

Ysaye (and others), how do you see Cox fitting? I don't quite see the call for a tall defender* when we have an emerging swing-man to support the likes of Pearce, Hamling and Logue. Especially with Dixon also on the 'to do" list in the forward line.

The reality is no one at this stage knows how our forward line will look, but I suspect it won't be as tall as everyone is expecting (or at least not as first). I do however suspect that we will see Cox there initially.

What is the argument for Cox back? For mine it is this: A clear weakness in our backline is that our kicking prowess sits almost exclusively with our smalls. This means if Pearce or Hamling take a mark or get the ball, their first motion is to handball it off to Wilson or Ryan; speed is everything from the backline and this creates a delay and/or an opportunity for the opposition to exploit. Logue is slightly different in that he is a good kick, but has made some poor decisions at AFL level when his confidence is down; his pre-season training success may suggest that he will put that behind him this (coming) year.

An advantage of sending Cox down there is that (coupled with his marking) he actually has the field kicking and quick ressonable decision-making to bypass that additional part of the rebounding process; he clearly has that over the incumbent talls. In another thread I think there was discussion over whether we are a top 10 defence or not; apart from experience I think Cox could have a big say whether we are only just in the top 10 or well entrenched in that group.

Yes our forward line is a work in progress, but there are some virtual certainties regarding the talls, namely Hogan and Lobb. After that we have 3 candidates (Taberner, Cox and McCarthy) who could all have a claim, plus Dixon. Of that bunch Cox is the only one who seems to have any credentials outside the forward role.

I am not really in agreement with you regarding the kicking prowess of our tall defenders, but do think they are "ok" at best. I also don't see any point in judging Logue's kicking too early. It looked to me that he badly needed to learn what to do rather than he is a poor decision maker.

I see Cox as the roaming CHF. He offers more upside than Taberner.

My forward line would look something like this:

Hogan Lobb Switkowski/Colyer/Matera
Walters Cox Bennell/Sturt

Hence I see KPB as a priority to start developing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Cox as the roaming CHF. He offers more upside than Taberner.

My forward line would look something like this:

Hogan Lobb Switkowski/Colyer/Matera
Walters Cox Bennell/Sturt

Hence I see KPB as a priority to start developing

I just wonder if Hogan is ready to go round 1.

Bennell looks ready to go barring any mishaps.

If Hogan is not right to go, then Tabs slots straight in.

Cox and Macartney then battle it out (paper, rock, scissors) for the mobile forward roll.

A good amount of depth, and near 3 months til the first Round 1 game so lots of things can change.

Good to hear we've at least broached the topic with Conigilio.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-05/three-states-chase-gun-giant-mid-freo-in-the-hunt

We'd have the money... just not sure if he'd want to come to Freo though. Lots of teams will splash the cash so he'll be able to pick and choose.
I'm almost tempted to start a Coniglio thread in here to see if we can bait a few Giants supporters. I remember them being a joy to deal with during the McCarthy trade. 😂

I’m predicting Coniglio re-signs with GWS.. hasn’t been any smoke or rumours about coming home to get hopes up.

Would be a massive pickup though, glad the club isn’t gonna due wondering.

Is he good mates with Wilson or Lobb?

Don’t know, he might come back for $1.1 mill a year in a team that will have the bona fides to compete fiercely

I'm almost tempted to start a Coniglio thread in here to see if we can bait a few Giants supporters. I remember them being a joy to deal with during the McCarthy trade. 😂
West Coast supporters are convinced he will be in blue and gold next year.

If only they could work out that they don’t have the trade currency to land Cogs and Kelly!

West Coast supporters are convinced he will be in blue and gold next year.

If only they could work out that they don’t have the trade currency to land Cogs and Kelly!
Cogs is a FA so most likely won't be traded, but can't see how they have the salary given who they resigned recently and with Kelly coming.

I think he is staying and feel pretty confident of that prediction. Of course I didn't believe Lachie would leave either so who knows?

Yeah think gws still favs,there’s a reason they cleared all those players out last year.
They essentially chose to lose Shiel over him.
The eagles would of been a show but you d think they surely would struggle to stump up enough coin

Looking at the thread on the D and T board tho it’s quite amusing reading all the hawthorn flogs pretty much assuming it’s fair accompli .

Someone really needs to tell them it’s not 2014.

As for Carlton well sos must think it’s his duty to offer every gws player ever a contract at Carlton all by virtual of the fact he once worked there thus they’d like to work under him again .

Good to hear we've at least broached the topic with Conigilio.

https://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-05/three-states-chase-gun-giant-mid-freo-in-the-hunt

We'd have the money... just not sure if he'd want to come to Freo though. Lots of teams will splash the cash so he'll be able to pick and choose.
We need to finish in the top 8 for him to consider us I think with promise of more to come.He's stayed as GWS for as long as he has to a large degree because he thought they could win a premiership. Unlike some here I still think a top 6-8 finish is highly possible. Actually thought the giant positives from the Collingwood game was the form of Tucker and Brayshaw against elite mid players. If they can do that with Fyfe, Mundy, B.Hill, SHill, Langdon, Walters, Cerra and Conca in there as well early in the year. With Blakley to come in later on than our midfield suddenly looks a heap better. Confident Lobb as a second ruck will dominate to help out as well.

I don’t think he leaves GWS and I’m glad to see this thread hasn’t descended into St Kilda/Norff delusion... yet...

Cogs is zero chance at coming to Freo.

My bet is reunite with his best mate Jaeger Meara at Hawks. Annoying but imagine 2021 hawks - Cogs, Jaeger, Mitchell, Scully midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back