Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Bill Simmons wacky hypothetical time:
It's the offseason of 2019, Swans have missed the finals for the first time since 2009, it feels like rebuild time. Sensing this, Buddy Franklin - who was 3 years left to go on his contract - decides he wants a trade back to Hawthorn. What do you ask from Hawthorn in return for the soon to be 33 year old?

I would expect nothing in return.

Credit to the Swans media team they’ve done an outstanding job this off-season at keeping us updated on the majority of our boys. Some may call them puff pieces but I consider it necessary marketing of a rebuild that some Swans supporters are (rightfully) reserving excitement about. The club has to actually start selling the future they’ve invested in.

DST

Premiership Player
May 1, 2003
In enemy territory
AFL Club
Sydney
It's the offseason of 2019, Swans have missed the finals for the first time since 2009, it feels like rebuild time. Sensing this, Buddy Franklin - who was 3 years left to go on his contract - decides he wants a trade back to Hawthorn. What do you ask from Hawthorn in return for the soon to be 33 year old?

Rebuild time?, haven't you noticed that we have effectively re-built the list for in terms of age and position profile over the last 3 year. The only thing that Buddy is sensing is one glorious final tilt at a flag in his last 1 or 2 years.

The bonus is that we have remained relatively competitive.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
You have a pretty good handle on it. It's a disease that controls the afflicted. Those not afflicted have critical roles in attempting to keeping them afloat and steering them safely. Ultimately you are right, they have to want to save themselves - we just have to hang on to them long enough so that they can reach that decision.
I don't know if it's quite that black and white. Sometimes will power and treatment isn't enough. Depends on the severity and type of condition.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
4th round future pick

Rebuild time?, haven't you noticed that we have effectively re-built the list for in terms of age and position profile over the last 3 year. The only thing that Buddy is sensing is one glorious final tilt at a flag in his last 1 or 2 years.

The bonus is that we have remained relatively competitive.

Buddy won’t win a flag with us unless it’s as a very old veteran, at which point he may not even be in the best 22 come grand final day of 2021 or 2022. But he contributes to us remaining a competitive team with a winning culture and a strong system so I hope he stays around for as long as he remains a quality player. Also seeing him kick his 1,000th career goal in red and white will be joy enough for me.

Harley Bennell ???? Did some on here actually say we should have thrown our hat in the ring for him during the trade period ??? Another Indiscretion From This Complete ****wit. Yeah would have been a match winner for Us.:drunk:

Peak offseason news story. No details, probably not juicy enough.

So do you think had we taken a gamble on Bennell he would of gone off the rails like he has at Freo?

It's ironic that I saw a certain Hawthorn golden boy behaving like an absolute twat at an event over New Years. No eye-brows were raised and no bouncers were involved because it happened to be at an event where at least a hundred other people were being absolute twats. So there are no doubt dickheads on every list, some are just more careful about when they choose to be a dickhead. A lot of Bennell's offences aren't that bad, he just gets himself caught. That to me tells me he's a simpleton who would behave as such in any state for any team in the country.

Jayson Tatum

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Didn't he just retire within the five year rule or whatever it is?

Well, someone smart would have looked that up and seen that indeed he retired in 2013 so he'll be eligible this year. I am not one of these people.

Call off the investigation everyone, crisis averted.

HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners
Well, someone smart would have looked that up and seen that indeed he retired in 2013 so he'll be eligible this year. I am not one of these people.

Call off the investigation everyone, crisis averted.

He was incredible aye. Along time ago now so I'm not sure if it was the 2003 or 2004 GF but his influence in one of those was just about the best game of footy that can be played.

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders

It'd be a cap dump so the upside for Sydney, who already have a surplus of picks after the 2018 trade period concentrated on stockpiling draft picks, would be all in the cap space created. For reference, Ablett back to Geelong was basically swapped for upgrading five places into pick 19, then turning a 4th rounder to a late 2nd. Franklin would be similar, likely to have 40 or 50 good games left in him. You wouldn't expect more than pick 40 in a straight swap, depending on how well he went over 2019.

Last edited:
He was incredible aye. Along time ago now so I'm not sure if it was the 2003 or 2004 GF but his influence in one of those was just about the best game of footy that can be played.

Still unbelievable to think one team could have Voss, Black, Lappin and Akermanis in the midfield with Lynch and Brown up forward. Makes the media’s fapping over Collingwood’s current line-up seem laughable!

HighReeve

Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners
I still think that Brisbane team was vastly superior to the Hawthorn threepeat team. Doing it as a non-Victorian team team in a stronger league (16 teams VS 18 teams) and having to travel to the Grand Final, compared to Hawthorn who twice got to face a traveling team despite finishing lower on the ladder.

+3 of 4 being non vic, Geelong away too
maybe different story if the Lions wernt made to have a home final at the mcg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back