MMA-UFC UFC 232

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Would love to see Jones go up to Cormiers natural weight.

I also think Volkanovski should be aiming for Ortega now

He was ranked 10 and beat 5, aiming for the number 1 contender is a little lofty. If he gets another higher ranked opponent (given he will likely climb to 6 or 7) I think Frankie Edgar is the match up.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
If I were DC I'd only fight JJ at HW. It would be crazy to put himself through a 50lb weight cut at 40yo. JJ's done everything at 205lb he should move up to HW if he wants to fight DC again, but not before he proves himself at HW in an eliminator against Miocic first.

If JJ wants to go up it’s an immediate title shot, it’s the money fight and frankly in spite of his many indiscretions he’s earned that shot based on in cage performance.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
There’s more for DC to gain winning that fight than Jones.

Still a loss would be devastating

Jones cements the legacy of being a two division champion, probably makes his best pound for pound ever status complete and undisputed. I’d say Jones gains more professionally and legacy wise, DC gains more from a personal revenge standpoint.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jones cements the legacy of being a two division champion, probably makes his best pound for pound ever status complete and undisputed. I’d say Jones gains more professionally and legacy wise, DC gains more from a personal revenge standpoint.
You’re probably right

I guess it’s clouded by Jones substance use. If you ignore that, he’s a clear superior to DC having beaten him twice. Was thinking DC could largely overcome that with a win.

Thinking about it, it’s never going to be undisputed for whoever wins. DC wins and people will say he lost to JJ, Jones wins and the doping will be blamed.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
You’re probably right

I guess it’s clouded by Jones substance use. If you ignore that, he’s a clear superior to DC having beaten him twice. Was thinking DC could largely overcome that with a win.

Thinking about it, it’s never going to be undisputed for whoever wins. DC wins and people will say he lost to JJ, Jones wins and the doping will be blamed.

Yep, it’s going to be incredibly difficult for anyone to view jones legacy as anything but tarnished. It would seem that the only person who still doesn’t see any issue with Jones legacy is Jones himself.

I don't think we'll see it unfortunately, Jones doesn't fancy his chances at HW, and DC wouldn't at LHW. Jones only wants DC again because of being the last big money fight for Jones at the moment at LHW.

Bit of a log jam for contenders as well, so im not sure how Dana is going to keep Jones busy in 2019 at LHW either.

DC doesn't need to prove anything, even though a clean Jones would probably still beat DC again, Jones can live with the question marks for the doping as much as DC for the losses. Being the only LHW to win the HW title is something bigger than his rivalry with Jones IMO.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He was ranked 10 and beat 5, aiming for the number 1 contender is a little lofty. If he gets another higher ranked opponent (given he will likely climb to 6 or 7) I think Frankie Edgar is the match up.

He also got fight of the night and and he was entertaining as *. May aswell aim for it.
Realistically he will get what ever fight Dana White wants to give him. I think he has a big future in this division

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland

Yep, Frankie is the fight to make for Alex next I think. I would hope Ortega would take some time off after the beating he took from Max and Frankie should be ready to go in the early part of next year after recovering from his bicep injury.

Jul 24, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Phoenix Suns, Sunderland
Jones is 31 and still in his prime. DC turning 40 and ready to hang up the gloves. I don't believe them fighting each other again proves anything considering where they're at. I'd much prefer to see DC fight Brock who is a similar age (41) in a farewell bout for the both of them.

You'd rather see one of the best fighters of this generation fight a guy who hasn't won a fight since 2010 than the only man to hold a win over him? I agree that the Lesnar fight is likely what DC will go for, but as a fan I'd much prefer him and Jones to fight again.

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don't think we'll see it unfortunately, Jones doesn't fancy his chances at HW, and DC wouldn't at LHW. Jones only wants DC again because of being the last big money fight for Jones at the moment at LHW.

Bit of a log jam for contenders as well, so im not sure how Dana is going to keep Jones busy in 2019 at LHW either.

DC doesn't need to prove anything, even though a clean Jones would probably still beat DC again, Jones can live with the question marks for the doping as much as DC for the losses. Being the only LHW to win the HW title is something bigger than his rivalry with Jones IMO.
Apparently DC will go to 205 if he has to

He’s that competitive

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
DC vs either Stipe or Lesnar. HW
JJ vs Anthony Smith. LHW

I don't really want to see JJ go up, defeat DC, and leave DC a mess for eternity. Would prefer DC to retire holding the HW belt.
DC was pissed to have to give up his LHW belt, so I reckon if DC and JJ fight again it should be for the LHW belt (if DC is up for it).

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I disagree. Dc has made the very valid point a number of times that he didn’t have to beat Jon because Jon keeps f**king up.

As it stands, purely on resume DC was strikeforce HW champ, LHW and HW UFC champ. It’s hard to argue Jon is or was better if he won’t go win another belt, that’s what’s expected now, if he stays at LHW forever that’s entirley his decision but it leaves some doubt about his goat status for me. Notwithstanding he’s the best I’ve ever seen but you have to consider a resume.

For me if he goes up at any point it’s undisputable, if he does it to DC it’s just an exclamation point on that statement.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Jones is 31 and still in his prime. DC turning 40 and ready to hang up the gloves. I don't believe them fighting each other again proves anything considering where they're at. I'd much prefer to see DC fight Brock who is a similar age (41) in a farewell bout for the both of them.

Wouldn’t begrudge DC going out on the massive payday that would be. He’s earned it

I disagree. Dc has made the very valid point a number of times that he didn’t have to beat Jon because Jon keeps f**king up.

As it stands, purely on resume DC was strikeforce HW champ, LHW and HW UFC champ. It’s hard to argue Jon is or was better if he won’t go win another belt, that’s what’s expected now, if he stays at LHW forever that’s entirley his decision but it leaves some doubt about his goat status for me. Notwithstanding he’s the best I’ve ever seen but you have to consider a resume.

For me if he goes up at any point it’s undisputable, if he does it to DC it’s just an exclamation point on that statement.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In my above post I meant that I don't want JJ to go up just for the sake of fighting DC there (unless they are both keen for it ofc). JJ prob destroys DC at HW and leaves DC a mess (which I wouldn't want to see). It would ofc be a cool thing at HW, but yeah, for DC's sake I don't really want to see that one.

JJ will go up to HW at some point, but I'm pretty positive it won't be while DC is still fighting. I see no point in JJ rushing to HW - he's 31 and still fantastic at LHW. There are some good possible fights for JJ at LHW: DC, Smith, probs Rockhold, Santos/Blachowicz..edit: keeping an eye on Johnny Walker, too.

I do want to see JJ go up to HW at some point, but when he's ready.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
That’s fair, personally I don’t reallt find any of those fights compelling, certainly nowhere near as much as DC V Jones, I just don’t want to see DC cave to Jones demands to go down, we all know jones is gonna go up anyway. If DC V Jones doesn’t happen I won’t lose sleep over it but if it does it needs to be at hw not at LHW.

DC vs Jones at HW would be a pretty close match up, don't think he destroys him at all.

Jones could very well beat him but the fact Jones has knocked back any interest in going up says enough IMO.

deklares

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Robert Whittaker
DC has the KO power he seemed to lack at LHW. If Jones is to be believed and he only blows up to 225 between fights I'd say DC takes the weight advantage in to the fight which also probably helps his wrestling.

I think Jones knows DC is a different prospect at HW and whilst he'd probably be confident wouldn't want to take the risk whilst he can maintain he has a 2-0 record against DC.

There are a few fighters at HW that could starch Jones and he is too strategic to let one punch tarnish his record.

checkraiseulite

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
DC deserves to go out on a high.

either a Brock money fight or jones at HW.

cutting to 205 to fight jones is at 40 without your wrestling and boxing advantage is lose lose.

it would hate to see DC take another L to jones at 205, it would haunt him.

Back