EPL Matchday 20

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Other than a whole defence.

You’re not far off Chelsea, Spurs and are probably better than Arsenal, but you’re miles off Liverpool and City

Things can change quickly, remember last season we finished above Liverpool, and City finished like 20pts above us in second place, and Liverpool already closed the gap on City this year.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Things can change quickly, remember last season we finished above Liverpool, and City finished like 20pts above us in second place, and Liverpool already closed the gap on City this year.
Liverpool were the second best team in the league last year, they would have finished 2nd had they not had the CL run to also focus on. United overachieved last season finishing second. For me spurs were also better. But as I said you’ve got a whole new defence to rebuild, it’s not going to be an easy job for you making up the ground to challenge for the title, as finishing top four is not enough. It’s gonna take three or four windows at least I reckon

Cardiff, Huddersfield and Bournemouth are pretty good opponents for Pogba to play without responsibility. Will be interesting to see how he goes when he does have to play with a bit of discipline and selflessness.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Cardiff, Huddersfield and Bournemouth are pretty good opponents for Pogba to play without responsibility. Will be interesting to see how he goes when he does have to play with a bit of discipline and selflessness.
Arguably the three worst teams in the league at present. Maybe harsh on Bournemouth but their form is horrible at present. They had a good start and that will keep them up but they're playing like a relegation side at the moment.

And don't think this is me defending Mourinho. He absolutely deserved what happened to him but people are overreacting to the extreme with three results against very average sides where pretty much everything has gone right. Chances have gone in, penalties etc - I don't think the attacking numbers have changed much but hard to compare a game against Liverpool with three games against poor sides. Not doubting there has been improvement but the scale of it seems very very exaggerated at the moment. Almost comically so.

Sep 11, 2003
Slovenia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
He ain't sooking now that he is free.
I love Pogba as a player but chucking a tantrum after being given advice to play like Lampard within a team system and then throwing out 'I'm a World Cup winner' is pathetic. Don't think any manager in the world would put up with that. Not denying he wasn't being used to get the best out of his very obvious ability but the players attitude is poor.

FWIW yesterday has been the first United match I've seen since the sacking and there is a totally different vibe about the place. Crowd, players, even the commentators.

Will be interesting to see how they go in a bigger game.

In the long run Woody would probably want United under Solsjkaer to do well, but not too well. Gives them the freedom to make an appointment without the pressure of giving Solsjkaer the job full time.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Boston Celtics, Patriots
I love Pogba as a player but chucking a tantrum after being given advice to play like Lampard within a team system and then throwing out 'I'm a World Cup winner' is pathetic. Don't think any manager in the world would put up with that. Not denying he wasn't being used to get the best out of his very obvious ability but the players attitude is poor.
Totally agree with that is not the mentality to have for sure but mou had lost not just pogba but most of the dressing room as well by that time and I'd prefer pogba to do all that again if it gets mou out the door.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
FWIW yesterday has been the first United match I've seen since the sacking and there is a totally different vibe about the place. Crowd, players, even the commentators.

Will be interesting to see how they go in a bigger game.

In the long run Woody would probably want United under Solsjkaer to do well, but not too well. Gives them the freedom to make an appointment without the pressure of giving Solsjkaer the job full time.

Di Matteo is a good example of that. Roman probably felt obligated to give him the Chelsea job permanently after winning the FA Cup / CL double as caretaker.

Obviously wasnt the right choice long term in hindsight.

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Man U are simply experiencing what I call the 'new manager bump'.

IOW, a new manager comes in and the squad performs better for a little while simply because (subconsciously or otherwise) they grew weary of playing under the old manager and see the new manager's arrival as a chance to turn over a new leaf. Should the new manager last until next season, reality then ensues and their managerial faults become more apparent because they no longer offer a fresh face or perspective.

Examples of such include Roberto di Matteo (Chelsea 2011/12), Kenny Dalglish (Liverpool 2010/11) and Guus Hiddink (Chelsea 2008/09, 2015/16).

The 'new manager bump' tends not to occur when 1) you appoint a clown with no managerial experience (Newcastle 2014/15), 2) the previous manager didn't deserve to be sacked in the first place (Blackburn 2010/11, Newcastle 2010/11) or 3) the squad has fatal flaws (Stoke City 2017/18).

Jurgen Klopp experienced the 'new manager bump' with Liverpool but was also able to build something lasting because of his quality as a manager.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Di Matteo is a good example of that. Roman probably felt obligated to give him the Chelsea job permanently after winning the FA Cup / CL double as caretaker.

Obviously wasnt the right choice long term in hindsight.

Well if Ole can win us the CL and FA Cup, then I’ll settle for a little more pain in the coming seasons. :D

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Boston Celtics, Patriots
Well if Ole can win us the CL and FA Cup, then I’ll settle for a little more pain in the coming seasons. :D
Either one I'll be happy with to cap off an average season. Would be a good turn around story though.

Just seen some quick highlights of the Soton-Citeh game. Laughed at the saints players shocked at the red card they were arguing after one of the most horrid lunges of all time

Back