Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you really spouting something about a player not wanting to go to us in a thread filled with Hawkes supporters having to buy the lie that they rejected Shiel because he didnt choose them?

We focused on Wingard, this has been explained or is that the 'lie' you are referring to?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shiel
Heppel
Smith
Merret

Then you have guys like Parish,Langford,McGrath,Zaharakis,Myers rotating through there it's a pretty good midfield now.
I mean it’s ok and probably just above average...

What you were lacking before the Shiel trade still exists, you needed a big bodied inside mid to win possession and give others more space, and Shiel most certainly is not that player.

Shiel is like Merrett, both have their strengths on the outside, and will flourish with the right players around them. But you guys don’t have that player, Langford is probably the closest you guys have, but atm he’s still not consistent enough to be part of your starting midfield. Smith applies pressure but 74 clearances for an inside mid is shockingly low, perhaps the lowest out of all full-time inside mids that played 22 games?

We all saw how players like Swan, Pendlebury, Beams went when they were our starting mids... all great players on their own but there is just no one to do the selfless and defensive work.

A good/great midfield needs all of polish, speed and contested ball winning ability.

You guys have speed, but lacks the other 2 areas.

If it is so superior how come Essendon haven't won a final in over 5000 days?
You Hawthorn supporters need to pray Essendon don't win another premiership while I'm alive, you will be bent over and will have every piece of low life s**t anti bomber native land owner colored crap thats ever dribbled from your mouths rammed up your yuppie jeep driving arses. Apart from that, I do hope you all have a safe and happy new year.

You Hawthorn supporters need to pray Essendon don't win another premiership while I'm alive, you will be bent over and will have every piece of low life s**t anti bomber native land owner colored crap thats ever dribbled from your mouths rammed up your yuppie jeep driving arses. Apart from that, I do hope you all have a safe and happy new year.

Hit the nail on the head. Good post:thumbsu:

Spot on but not sober.

03e548943e02619fe66894038dedca8ee4228f3a.gif

I mean it’s ok and probably just above average...

What you were lacking before the Shiel trade still exists, you needed a big bodied inside mid to win possession and give others more space, and Shiel most certainly is not that player.

Shiel is like Merrett, both have their strengths on the outside, and will flourish with the right players around them. But you guys don’t have that player, Langford is probably the closest you guys have, but atm he’s still not consistent enough to be part of your starting midfield. Smith applies pressure but 74 clearances for an inside mid is shockingly low, perhaps the lowest out of all full-time inside mids that played 22 games?

We all saw how players like Swan, Pendlebury, Beams went when they were our starting mids... all great players on their own but there is just no one to do the selfless and defensive work.

A good/great midfield needs all of polish, speed and contested ball winning ability.

You guys have speed, but lacks the other 2 areas.

There's this odd belief that kind of reminds me of the old 'Jobe Watson can't kick' myth. I mean, by the time he got to his mid career, Watson was an excellent kick of the ball, and yet people maintained this belief that he couldn't kick.

The same is currently true of Essendon's midfield. Essendon, pre-Shiel, had one of the better performed midfield groups in the game, from round 9 (when they decided to stop sucking balls) through to the end of the season. I think in its final 14 games, it went something like 11-3 for clearance differentials; meaning it's midfield was beating it's direct opponent most of the time. When you consider that Essendon didn't have a single player in the top 30 for clearances PG, that would seem to suggest that Essendon is near, possibly even the, best side in the competition for sharing the load across its entire group.

And yet people are still running with the 'Essendon needs big-bodied midfielders' schtick. No they don't, they're performing fine. If you're going off that final fourteen games (and yes I'm aware that is being selective) it already has one of the top 4 or 5 midfield groups in the game. And we still expect to see improvement from Parish, Langford, McGrath - let alone by adding in Shiel as well.

So considering the above, I'm not sure why people think inside midfielders are the problem at Essendon. Seems to be one of those things that has been repeated over and over and so people simply believe it to be true, despite the facts not supporting the assertion.

So if they're in the top half dozen sides for disposal efficiency, top half dozen sides for inside 50s, top half dozen for clearances - I'm not sure how people can maintain the belief that Essendon's midfield is the problem. The facts seem to support the idea that it is a strength, and one likely to only get better.

The bitterness comes from the Dons offering a bundle load of cash and Jaeger coming as pick 1 in the PSD. Jaeger didnt take one of Dodos 97 calls.

Jaeger didnt wanna join as a PSD pick 1 and be a direct recruit of manufactured cheating

The bitterness comes from the Dons offering a bundle load of cash and Jaeger coming as pick 1 in the PSD. Jaeger didnt take one of Dodos 97 calls.

Jaeger didnt wanna join as a PSD pick 1 and be a direct recruit of manufactured cheating

Huh?

Facts dude.

cheers mate. Hope you have a great new year as well. BTW any success Essendon has whilst any single player or employee involved with the drugs saga is still associated with the club will leave a big * next to it. I'd probably wait til you can win a clean one before you have your meltdown.

cheers mate. Hope you have a great new year as well. BTW any success Essendon has whilst any single player or employee involved with the drugs saga is still associated with the club will leave a big * next to it. I'd probably wait til you can win a clean one before you have your meltdown.
We'd love to have some success with a big * next to it.
It will be a nice reminder of how EFC survived a dark chapter in their history and verifies the strength and fibre of the club and it's supporters.
Can you explain how we can arrange leaving * next to success in 2019 or is the * just some imaginary Hawthorn thing that enables some sort of security as the threepeet drifts away from the memories of all those, except the dwindling Hawthorn family ?
You know, the family club who's average home attendances are likely to fall below 30k this year as the red and black empire surges back above 50k and a * on the horizon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'd love to have some success with a big * next to it.
It will be a nice reminder of how EFC survived a dark chapter in their history and verifies the strength and fibre of the club and it's supporters.
Can you explain how we can arrange leaving * next to success in 2019 or is the * just some imaginary Hawthorn thing that enables some sort of security as the threepeet drifts away from the memories of all those, except the dwindling Hawthorn family ?
You know, the family club who's average home attendances are likely to fall below 30k this year as the red and black empire surges back above 50k and a * on the horizon.
You say 'survived a dark chapter' like your club is a victim. It isn't. It is the perpetrator. Because of that anything you achieve whilst some of the perps are still there invalidates it. Kinda like how if Lance Armstrong returned to cycling now and was clean, no one would accept any of his success.

As far as the three-pete goes, well if I need a refresher, I can watch all of our 13 premierships on DVD or bluray. Do you have that many you can watch again if you want to?

You say 'survived a dark chapter' like your club is a victim. It isn't. It is the perpetrator. Because of that anything you achieve whilst some of the perps are still there invalidates it. Kinda like how if Lance Armstrong returned to cycling now and was clean, no one would accept any of his success.

As far as the three-pete goes, well if I need a refresher, I can watch all of our 13 premierships on DVD or bluray. Do you have that many you can watch again if you want to?
I have no idea how you construe surviving a dark chapter as anything else but a club having survived.

Could you please point me to exactly where the connotation of the club being the victim, is derived?

From today's Herald Sun (or Essendon Herald with Robbo in charge).

15. TRADE FRENZY
Beams wasn’t the only one who switched clubs during what turned out to a bumper trade period. Lachie Neale, Chad Wingard, Ryan Burton, Jesse Hogan, Rory Lobb, Steven May, Kade Kolodjashnij, Jack Hombsch and Sam Mayes all found new clubs in a series of interconnected deals, as Hawthorn, Melbourne, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Brisbane, GWS and Port Adelaide had to work to find the right outcomes. And in separate deals Tom Scully found himself at Hawthorn, while Dylan Shiel chose Essendon above Carlton and St Kilda.

Note how Hawthorn isn't listed here. It is because we withdrew our offer after it became clear the cost would also include a future 1st round pick.

15. TRADE FRENZY
Beams wasn’t the only one who switched clubs during what turned out to a bumper trade period. Lachie Neale, Chad Wingard, Ryan Burton, Jesse Hogan, Rory Lobb, Steven May, Kade Kolodjashnij, Jack Hombsch and Sam Mayes all found new clubs in a series of interconnected deals, as Hawthorn, Melbourne, Fremantle, Gold Coast, Brisbane, GWS and Port Adelaide had to work to find the right outcomes. And in separate deals Tom Scully found himself at Hawthorn, while Dylan Shiel chose Essendon above Carlton and St Kilda.

Note how Hawthorn isn't listed here. It is because we withdrew our offer after it became clear the cost would also include a future 1st round pick.
Note also that Robbo didn't mention that Scully chose Essendon before Hawthorn either. I wonder why Robbo omitted to mention it. Maybe it was a furphy all along.
But I'm with you, Robbo is very very good at what he does.

Head****ed.
It's either that (most likely) or Holy Rioli and his fellow Hawks are overcome with vulnerability at the moment and still clinging to the saga at every opportunity to place a veil over the deep rooted problems now besetting the crew at Glenferrie. The thread dedicated to the saga over at Hawksville is proof enough of the comfort blanket they need.
The vulnerability makes sense when you look at a) their current creaky list and b) some of the decision making since the threepee, a lot of which have been high risk decisions.
In particular, Maurice and Hill left some gaping holes, key position stocks haven't been replenished, the oldest player demographic in the AFL, huge reliance on medicos to patch up dodgy knees and ankles, players pushed above the limit to cover deficiencies (ToM at 97% TOG), high brow midfielders not getting sucked into the vaccuum (Shiel), talented but uninterested players brought into the fold, talented rookies left high and dry etc. etc.
Shiel definitely made the right decision in selecting Essendon, he's a player both clubs definitely required and it's a damn shame only one club had the privilige of being anointed by Dylan.

Last edited:

15. TRADE FRENZY

I feel dirty liking a post where Slobbo accurately reports what really went down. Maybe now the * supporters can move on.

Back