Famous Collingwood Wins

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty for mine to choose only one. But i’d Rank first finals win against Port no Bucks (2002 Qualifying Final) as something special and against the odds the way we limped into that series.

Another couple were Taz’s and Anthony’s after the siren kicks to win (forget the actual games they were).

As a kid, 1990 GF was special especially growing up in Essendon.

The 5th round win at Arctic park vs Carlton in 88 was a spectacular win on a dreadful day (weather wise).

And have to say Ball’s snap in 2011 Prelim after Buddy all but sank us was another i’ll Never forget.

Sad part, none of the above led to the loving memory of a Premiership.

1990 GF simply the best, the relief and happiness of finally seeing a premiership, nothing is better
As I said to my dad after this year (though he would know this better than I would), the more heartbreak experienced along the way, the more meaningful and exhilarating the next flag would be :)

As I said to my dad after this year (though he would know this better than I would), the more heartbreak experienced along the way, the more meaningful and exhilarating the next flag would be :)
We should have more Silverwear in the cabinet though. That’s the real heartbreak. Then again, we could be St.Kilda. Now that would be a hard slog.

We should have more Silverwear in the cabinet though. That’s the real heartbreak. Then again, we could be St.Kilda. Now that would be a hard slog.
Whenever the thought about Collingwood GF losses comes across my mind, I just think of St. Kilda.
I mean no disrespect or anything to supporters or the organisation when I do this, but it's comforting knowing that there are teams who have it worse.

Whenever the thought about Collingwood GF losses comes across my mind, I just think of St. Kilda.
I mean no disrespect or anything to supporters or the organisation when I do this, but it's comforting knowing that there are teams who have it worse.
Yeah I think the same when it comes to (some) other team supporters and lack of flags. Just not Lions, Essendon, Hawks and Geelong supporters that cry over a flag.

For one reason or another, these stick out for me (in no order);

2002 prelim V Adelaide
2002 Anzac Day
2018 V Adelaide
2018 prelim V Richmond

To me, these 4 are the standouts. The two home and away matches were when I personally thought “this team has got what it takes”. The two prelims were so special, I guess also validating the previous thought earlier in the season.

Clearly the 2010 flag is there as well but why bother mentioning it!

So many already listed here, but there is one that I rate as the most exciting game ever. Carlton V Collingwood, MCG, 1988. A young Collingwood team takes on the reigning premier with the scores close all day. This had everything. A pulsating crowd, filthy acts from Captain Kernahan, stars in Brown and Starcevich and a miraculous last 5 minutes. I was hoarse for days after this one and I've watched it hundreds of times. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLugwp1jqM

You’d think.

But I’m prepared to forgo the heartache for more wins even if the wins are a little less celebrated because of no heartache.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many already listed here, but there is one that I rate as the most exciting game ever. Carlton V Collingwood, MCG, 1988. A young Collingwood team takes on the reigning premier with the scores close all day. This had everything. A pulsating crowd, filthy acts from Captain Kernahan, stars in Brown and Starcevich and a miraculous last 5 minutes. I was hoarse for days after this one and I've watched it hundreds of times. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwLugwp1jqM
Ahhhh Gavin Brown, I just fell in love with him all over again!:hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts::hearts:

The video doesn't do justice to how loud the crowd was. I've never seen anything like it since. One of the greatest experiences of my life.

Me too Raymond. That was probably the worst year of my life. That game saved me during many dark hours. It was an 'old fashioned' crowd and by that I mean there was nothing organised; the crowd just erupted with unbridled joy. The old Southern Stand acted like a sound bowl in those days and I was right in the middle of it. One of the greatest footy moments for me too.

Me too Raymond. That was probably the worst year of my life. That game saved me during many dark hours. It was an 'old fashioned' crowd and by that I mean there was nothing organised; the crowd just erupted with unbridled joy. The old Southern Stand acted like a sound bowl in those days and I was right in the middle of it. One of the greatest footy moments for me too.

I'm glad your years have improved since.
I sat behind the cheer squad in the western stand and the sound when Barwick sent that handpass out to Starca was indescribable. Basically 50,000 stood up and screamed and then screamed even louder as his kick went through at post height.

Relatively new to supporting the Pies (and footy in general) but the 2018 Prelim was a special game to be at. Feels like one that will be looked back upon very favourably in years to come.
Absolutely but I would say 2010 PF was better. This was the game where the long, slow "Collingwood” chant had its origins. As far as I know it was completely spontaneous.

What some postings here show, is just how important Collingwood is to so many people.
The joy, anguish (not always in equal proportion) the journey....

2019 to be a great year of joy.*

* that’s the plan anyway

Absolutely but I would say 2010 PF was better. This was the game where the long, slow "Collingwood” chant had its origins. As far as I know it was completely spontaneous.
It’s a copy of the Liverpool chant. Probably started by BringouttheGimp

I'm not here to announce one better than another - I have no doubt the '10 PF would've been an extraordinarily special event.

The 2010 prelim final atmosphere was top shell.

Agree!

Was mesmerising.

The 2010 prelim final atmosphere was top shell.

Agree!

Was mesmerising.

The noise when Pendles kicked his goal late in the first quarter was amazing.
All started from a Daisy tackle on Scarlet with Beams swooping on the loose ball & handballed to Pendles.
Crowd went nuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back