Food, Drink & Dining Out The Perth Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 4 is here:

It'll be interesting to see if the Kings Square redevelopment has any positive effect. Have had some good times in Freo over the last few years but last night had a bad vibe from the get go. Was back there this morning for brunch at the Monk. Was quite nice. I see that HJs is for lease so it's not like there was someone waiting to jump in. It's bizarre to see such a centrally located, dare I say it iconic, area vacant. The Dome that used to be just up the road has gone so that's what my money is still on.

Parked on the outskirts of Freo yesterday late afternoon for a casual stroll into town for a bite to eat. While getting a parking ticket there were two crackheads fighting in the park next to the machine. Then we were walking down high street mall opposite the national and a fight exploded between two foul mouthed skanks sitting in a group. One threw a bottle at the other which smashed on the ground. Then that one picked up the biggest part of the bottle remaining and threw it back at the other skank all whilst screaming the foulest c bomb ridden language you could imagine at each other. Then we passed an old guy half keeled over on a bench who may or may not have been dead. This was at 5.30pm within the first 10 minutes of arriving. Great advertisement for tourists. Or anyone really.
I don't think people do crack in Western Australia in 2019.

There are shitheads everywhere. You go to Perth Station and wait for a train and there'll be groups of 17-year old's spitting through their teeth, trying to intimidate you, you'll see similar skanks crying and you'll see their meathead boyfriends fighting.

Where do you live?

I'm sick of people hanging s**t on Fremantle but coming into town consistently every weekend and drinking 10 pints.

The weekend is consistently full of suburban shitheads. That's why we have Metropolis, Sail & Anchor, the Monk... to cater for those people. I walk through town on a weekend and people cut in front of you, walking five abreast, people never saying thanks when you get out the way...

Fremantle, for the most part, is lived in by NIMBYs and people who do graphic design, who send their kids to CBC. It's a very privileged, 'have you seen the new Hannah Gadsby?' crowd. It isn't a scumbag town and if you think so, be a tough campaigner and tell us where you live... because I bet no one plans their weekend out there, I bet no one cares about it, and I bet it's an hour away from the beach. Freo is a decent place and is generally full of toff w***ers more than scumbags. I've walked home pissed, I've walked home alone, I'm not a big bloke and I get yelled at... it's this *in world.

You been to Brooklyn? Rome? London? There are ghettos, the down and out, the angry, the opportunistic everywhere. It is this ****ed up, shithole world we live in where companies ream us and who create these massive social issues. These are inescapable in any city of decent population. I was in Melbourne again recently and there's meth heads running up and down the 57 train borderline every second trip. Does it really make North Melbourne or Flemington a scum hole? Would you turn down a house there? Unfortunately it's our world.

It isn't a scumbag town and if you think so, be a tough campaigner and tell us where you live... because I bet no one plans their weekend out there, I bet no one cares about it, and I bet it's an hour away from the beach

lol so defensive about your little patch of paradise, when you spend 90% of your time on here hanging s**t on other suburbs

Not the first place I’d put on my list of suburbs to visit.

SA got a serious melt going doing that post. Passionate about Freo that’s for sure but it is just a place that people go to eat and drink. All the “NIMBY’s” and “Gatsby” crew live in suburbs around the area and those who send their kids to CBC are those who can’t afford those western suburb schools that are just a short hop skip and jump away

lol so defensive about your little patch of paradise, when you spend 90% of your time on here hanging s**t on other suburbs
People come to Freo though and slag it off. Bit rich. And hard to take.

Anyway, if you're going to the strip on a weekend then you deserve to have a s**t time. Carlsberg umbrellas and $13.80 faux-craft beers, have fun. All of those places attract a wide variety of knobheads – big blokes on designated nights out while 'wifey' stays home, young blokes keen to snag a root at Metros – most people in Fremantle on weekends live in Cockburn or Rock'n'am. It's a bit like judging Fitzroy on a Saturday night... how many local or nearby residents actually are there?

If you want to go somewhere decent for a meal and a beer then there's plenty of places – all very close to one another – that are homely and quiet on weekdays and fun and atmospheric on the weekends. No bouncers checking IDs on the doors, no extortionate prices, no Woolworths-ownership of buildings, and good staff who weren't plucked from a Seek.com ad that directed to a 'from 1-5, how good are you at dealing with stress?' questionnaires. But people don't like leaving the strip and don't want to stick their neck further than the bloody Nor*.

Not the first place I’d put on my list of suburbs to visit.

SA got a serious melt going doing that post. Passionate about Freo that’s for sure but it is just a place that people go to eat and drink. All the “NIMBY’s” and “Gatsby” crew live in suburbs around the area and those who send their kids to CBC are those who can’t afford those western suburb schools that are just a short hop skip and jump away
Western suburbs are so overrated. Ugly ass buildings, flogs everywhere, high prices, overpopulated beaches...

Freo, East Fremantle, South Fremantle, and then even places like Bicton have some of the most locked-down real estate in Australia. Houses very rarely come up for sale because it's a genuinely good place to live. The suburban parts are really quiet, really safe. There's good cafés. You don't need a car on weekends or after work because everything is nearby. South Beach is safe to swim in and rarely packed. It's not a 'gatsby' vibe at all either. Freo has plenty of clichés but that isn't one.

Fremantle has its issues but that's because its old working class industries have died down. Hospitality and retail is shrinking on just about every high street in Australia. Not to mention the shopping mall is the new king – why go down a street in the heat when you can walk around air-conditioned Booragoon with ten times as many options? The mayor has nfi what to do and is trying to be a bit too many things. Hopefully the government departments fill the place in after-hours and we get a few good restaurants and bars opening up and the reliance on retail spaces shrinks.

Freo is a nice place. Visitors like it. It's historic and well maintained and unlike Perth proper or many country towns, all the old buildings haven't been torn down. It's a good thing for WA tourism if it's going well.

The poster only mentioned what he seen happen in Fremantle he wasn’t bagging it.
Sa generalisation of what type of people goes to different establishments is way off.
Yep. I love Freo and as I said I've had a lot of good times there in the last few years. I'm a regular visitor because I only live a short distance from it. It's just a shame about the crackheads. Nobody wants to see people screaming abuse and throwing bottles at each other. I'm willing to bet there's pretty much a small group of regulars who are responsible too. Round em up. Take em out to Laverton and ******* leave em there.

Yep. I love Freo and as I said I've had a lot of good times there in the last few years. I'm a regular visitor because I only live a short distance from it. It's just a shame about the crackheads. Nobody wants to see people screaming abuse and throwing bottles at each other. I'm willing to bet there's pretty much a small group of regulars who are responsible too. Round em up. Take em out to Laverton and ******* leave em there.

Don’t hold back with that racism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess I won't hold my breath for an apology.

You dead yet or just blue in the face. I found your choice of Laverton unusual. I apologise unreservedly for thinking you were specifically referring to my mob when using that as your destination point

I havent been to Melb for a few years too, chose OS instead for the last 4 years
I will eventually go to Melbourne though, dont think I will ever go back to WA or SA or Tas again though.
Not that they are horrible they just dont fit into my travel schedule ,there is nothing there drawing me back and there is plenty drawing me to other places instead.
Life and money is finite you need to edit
I'd like to hear more.

I feel like this thread has strayed from its true meaning in life. We, as the pure Perthians we are, must only speak of :
a) the weather
b) the price of fuel/morons that clog up the roads to save 0.5 of a cent/ltr only to spend it on Mars Bars at the register
c) the Bassendean bridge
d) the crack heads in Rockingham
or,
e) Silent Alarm channelling Dear Dolly Doctor/Rolling Stone and/or ranting about something/anything/everything

Look, if you haven't read the memo, it's that or gtfo. That's right my glorious Perth brothers and sisters...that would be a g to the t to the f to the o.

Any sort thinking outside of that clearly defined box is simply not appropriate.

Thank you and you are most welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back