Votes: 41 63.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Lets say you can take one for the next few years , who would you take?According to some, Lynch (Richmond not the Crows one) is one knee injury away from a wheelchair and can't play well in big games when the pressure is on.On the other hand people are saying that Hawkins has the turning circle of a Mack truck and is nothing more than an accurate kick with a big behind.

Lets say you can take one for the next few years , who would you take?According to some, Lynch (Richmond not the Crows one) is one knee injury away from a wheelchair and can't play well in big games when the pressure is on.On the other hand people are saying that Hawkins has the turning circle of a Mack truck and is nothing more than an accurate kick with a big behind.
Wouldn't it be better to compare a Jeromy Cameron with Lynch? Tom Hawkins (who was arguably Geelong's most important player in 2018) turns 31 in 2019 while Lynch will be 27

• Banned
Wouldn't it be better to compare a Jeromy Cameron with Lynch? Tom Hawkins (who was arguably Geelong's most important player in 2018) turns 31 in 2019 while Lynch will be 27
Well in the next two years they should retain simular form for the purposes of this thread.Hawkins has 498 goals from 232 games, Lynch has 254 goals from 131 games.

Lynch has upside with question marks; Hawkins is pretty much what he is, but isn't going to get any better and remains to be seen how well he holds up as he ages in to his 30's.

IF Lynch can stay fit, and improves in a better side, he's going to be more useful in 2 - 3 years than a 32 / 33 year old Hawkins.

But based on 2018 form; Hawkins had more disposals, marks, contested marks, goals, I50's, metres gained, and higher disposal efficiency.

Hawkins is coming off the back of one of his best ever seasons. It's reasonable to suggest he could back last season's effort up again at least one more time.

Though Lynch has played his whole career in a poor side, so he may find another level at Richmond. Provided he can form a partnership with Reiwoldt.

Obviously lynch. Hawkins is 30. But there's something about Hawkins that tells me he could still have a breakout year and possibly win the Coleman

I would take Hawkins, the known quantity. He can't kick straight but he's a hell of a mark. Very disruptive to defensive setups and demands a double team. Lynch has been stuck in a backwater team and never shown his potential. At 27 he's still thought of as a 23-year-old prospect in terms of development and proven capabilities. As a key forward at 27 he should be top of his game and proven, but he's not. He's still a work in progress (again, not his fault but he's been hanging at the GCS for all these years).

So, if it were me managing the football department I would go for Hawkins. Perhaps Richmond think they have a strong forward line and Jack to do the FF work if Lynch is a bust, so that could change the mix. I would tend to trade the proven quantity if I were spending top dollar.

I would take Hawkins, the known quantity. He can't kick straight but he's a hell of a mark.

Lynch is actually a statistically better marking forward than Hawkins.
He recently turned 26.

I think people are forgetting Lynch checked out early in the year and did everything to preserve his health as he knew he was leaving.
He is going to be pretty fresh and with an exceptional midfield core feeding him the ball, he will be almost unstoppable this year.

The fear in this thread of overpaying for Lynch and trying to hide it by ripping on Hawkins is palpable. Deflection much?

Not saying Lynch is a hack and cant play.. he'll be very good IMO... but geez..

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody who manages >500 AFL goals in their career is an absolute gun so Hawkins is already there in my opinion.

Lynch - well he is only 27 and should get more opportunities at Richmond but he is only half way there....

Obviously right here, right now you take Lynch because of his age.

But overall - Hawkins has him covered imo.

Lynch is actually a statistically better marking forward than Hawkins.
He recently turned 26.

I think people are forgetting Lynch checked out early in the year and did everything to preserve his health as he knew he was leaving.
He is going to be pretty fresh and with an exceptional midfield core feeding him the ball, he will be almost unstoppable this year.

Hawkins on the left and Lynch on the right. I would take the Tomahawk every day of the week and twice on Saturday afternoons.

1546405187726.png
1546405229520.png

At the same point in their career Lynch is ahead, Hawkins was a spud for most of his early years playing for Geelong even when they were the best side in the league, while Lynch played for completely terrible sides

Goals kicked in the 2018 grand final

Kennedy & Darling - 4
Cox & Mihocek - 3
Riewoldt & Lynch - 0
Jack Riewoldt

Tom Lynch

Kennedy & Darling -
J.Kennedy
J.Darling

Cox & Mihocek

Mason Cox
Height: 2.11 m
Weight: 110 kg

Brody Mihocek
Born: 4 February 1993 (age 25 years), Tasmania

Nationality: Australian
Height: 1.92 m
Parents: Jack Mihocek
Number: 41
Original team: Port Melbourne Football Club

Thats pretty insecure thinking.

Which way will the next long bow be randomly be pointing?

The Bay where all good troll s**t should end up. Where the * else should it go?

Go Catters

Jack Riewoldt

Tom Lynch

Kennedy & Darling -
J.Kennedy
J.Darling

Cox & Mihocek

Mason Cox
Height: 2.11 m
Weight: 110 kg

Brody Mihocek
Born: 4 February 1993 (age 25 years), Tasmania

Nationality: Australian
Height: 1.92 m
Parents: Jack Mihocek
Number: 41
Original team: Port Melbourne Football Club

You’re sixty years old and this is what you do in your spare time. Did the wife leave you for a Pies supporter?

I think by round 6 or 7 , Lynch will be unstoppable. Does the best defender start on Riewoldt or Lynch?Even if Hawkins is on a par with Lynch at the moment, Lynch probably gets the 2nd best defender and will dominate imo. Hawkins has a chance in the next few years to go from quality player to champion player, but Tom Lynch he could dominate for the next 5 years.

Back