MMA-UFC UFC 232

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
DC vs Jones at HW would be a pretty close match up, don't think he destroys him at all.

Jones could very well beat him but the fact Jones has knocked back any interest in going up says enough IMO.
What does JJ have to do to his body to fight at HW?..Sit back and eat burgers? Ofc not. It would probs take quite some time to put on the weight, just to have to come back down to LHW?
We're not talking 10-15 pounds, or are we?
If you think though that JJ is somehow worried about fighting DC in 'any' weight div you'd be wrong.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
DC deserves to go out on a high.

either a Brock money fight or jones at HW.

cutting to 205 to fight jones is at 40 without your wrestling and boxing advantage is lose lose.

it would hate to see DC take another L to jones at 205, it would haunt him.
An L at either weight would haunt DC. To have his belt taken by JJ at HW would haunt DC more imo.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
What does JJ have to do to his body to fight at HW?..Sit back and eat burgers? Ofc not. It would probs take quite some time to put on the weight, just to have to come back down to LHW?
We're not talking 10-15 pounds, or are we?
If you think though that JJ is somehow worried about fighting DC in 'any' weight div you'd be wrong.

Jones has said he walks around at 225 from memory so he puts on 5-10 pounds (hardly a stretch I’m sure) and he’s 230-235. Dc won strokeforce at 240 from memory.

In reality it’s entirely up to either of them what they wanna do. I for one (and given jones extremely colorful history I suspect most others) would rather see jones go up. Dc doesn’t owe Jones a thing and Jones whole “daddy’s home” Schtick yesterday was infuriating. You wanna apologise to and make it up to the fans, you wanna try to cement your legacy go beat your biggest rival at any combat sports biggest glamour division.

I don’t really care what he does but claiming DC has to come down to “prove” something is just arrogant and wrong.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Jones has said he walks around at 225 from memory so he puts on 5-10 pounds (hardly a stretch I’m sure) and he’s 230-235. Dc won strokeforce at 240 from memory.

In reality it’s entirely up to either of them what they wanna do. I for one (and given jones extremely colorful history I suspect most others) would rather see jones go up. Dc doesn’t owe Jones a thing and Jones whole “daddy’s home” Schtick yesterday was infuriating. You wanna apologise to and make it up to the fans, you wanna try to cement your legacy go beat your biggest rival at any combat sports biggest glamour division.

I don’t really care what he does but claiming DC has to come down to “prove” something is just arrogant and wrong.
Oh well, we'll see what happens.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Greatest LHW, not GOAT.

That being said, going in 3rd gear he got it done pretty easily in the end. Cardio seemed way off though.

If he wants GOAT mantle, has to go up to HW. Don't think he fancies his chances at HW against anyone but Lesnar.
dont see how he cant be the goat unless you take the drugs in, he has destroyed whos who at a time when LHW was the buisness. GSP and him should be the only guys in the equation maybe DJ.

dont see how he cant be the goat unless you take the drugs in, he has destroyed whos who at a time when LHW was the buisness. GSP and him should be the only guys in the equation maybe DJ.

GSP is a fair way in front of him, winning the Middleweight title cemented it.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
GSP is a fair way in front of him, winning the Middleweight title cemented it.
think they are the same path but at this stage there is one difference between the two, No one has stopped jones his only loss was a joke. im not a Jones fan use to hate him back in the day but you can not deny his skill. as for winning the MW title I dont pay too much attentipn to it he beat a guy who well we all know got there is amazing circumstances but was far from the best in that div. id put it in the likes of Arvloski beats dc by a flash ko somehow then jones beats him. doesnt really add to his legacy neither being in another division

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
think they are the same path but at this stage there is one difference between the two, No one has stopped jones his only loss was a joke. im not a Jones fan use to hate him back in the day but you can not deny his skill. as for winning the MW title I dont pay too much attentipn to it he beat a guy who well we all know got there is amazing circumstances but was far from the best in that div. id put it in the likes of Arvloski beats dc by a flash ko somehow then jones beats him. doesnt really add to his legacy neither being in another division
Pretty fair call I reckon.

Respectfully disagree.

I compared who each other has fought, and why I have GSP ahead of him.

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Respectfully disagree.

Intetesting might pull them up in the fight finder, might be hard to argue against 2 x dc 2x gus but we shall look whos there

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 9, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal,Redsox,Celtics
Respectfully disagree.

Final post about this which fighters do you have that puts him ahead hughes penn, dont think penn has won a fight since then? I just think evens, rampage machida shogun and they were all highlight finishes btw except for evens. Then add 4 big fights against dc and gus? Neber bern stopped

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw Ryan Hall's sub on BJ.

What are people's thoughts (on his style)?

I've never trained BJJ but I can appreciate the mastery in his sub techniques, it's just sublime. I can't imagine many fighters would be game to fight a guy like him who doesn't have much to offer as far as the superficial "ranking points" go.

Final post about this which fighters do you have that puts him ahead hughes penn, dont think penn has won a fight since then? I just think evens, rampage machida shogun and they were all highlight finishes btw except for evens. Then add 4 big fights against dc and gus? Neber bern stopped

You're not applying the same logic to GSP that you are to Jones, with Gus 1st time where he won by the skin of his teeth and, then this past week where Gus was far from his best, and probably his best which we'll never see again. That doesn't even include Turinibol pops for his past 2 fights. Massively discounting Penn and Bisping.

But we'll agree to disagree though mate.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gsp, DC, Penn, Conor, Nunes, Couture. All two weight class champions. Like it or not all have claims with better resumes than Jon. This is what I was saying, go up to heavyweight and win that belt it’s undeniable, until then you’ll have this fact and the incredibly tarnished “history” to compete with for Goat status.

Just saw Ryan Hall's sub on BJ.

What are people's thoughts (on his style)?

I've never trained BJJ but I can appreciate the mastery in his sub techniques, it's just sublime. I can't imagine many fighters would be game to fight a guy like him who doesn't have much to offer as far as the superficial "ranking points" go.

Absolutely splendid finish, the technique was sublime, even down to throwing the leg kick to get Penn to check it and raise his foot. Leg locks are a bit of a dark art, a lot of BJJ places won’t teacg you a thing about leg locks until years into your training. To go for that kind of entry is risky (similar to flying armbars etc. get it wrong and you give up position pretty badly) but it was superb. Still very hard to see guys with only one real weapon getting too far in the UFC (even Maia who is a techincal wizard couldn’t win a title).

Joker91

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 3, 2012
Tigerland
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Absolutely splendid finish, the technique was sublime, even down to throwing the leg kick to get Penn to check it and raise his foot. Leg locks are a bit of a dark art, a lot of BJJ places won’t teacg you a thing about leg locks until years into your training. To go for that kind of entry is risky (similar to flying armbars etc. get it wrong and you give up position pretty badly) but it was superb. Still very hard to see guys with only one real weapon getting too far in the UFC (even Maia who is a techincal wizard couldn’t win a title).

Agreed.
I think he will get found out against quality opposition.

His last three wins;

Bj- Had lost 5 in a row
Gray Maynard- Had lost 4 of last 5.
Artem Lobov- Was 11-10 prior to fight and is now 13-15.

Very underwhelming.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gsp, DC, Penn, Conor, Nunes, Couture. All two weight class champions. Like it or not all have claims with better resumes than Jon.
They all have losses. Jones doesn't. Obv DC's 2 losses came from Jones. I don't think Jones needs the champ champ status to be considered as the goat. On paper the double champ accomplishments look better, but that doesn't automatically mean that they're better fighters.

They all have losses. Jones doesn't. Obv DC's 2 losses came from Jones. I don't think Jones needs the champ champ status to be considered as the goat. On paper the double champ accomplishments look better, but that doesn't automatically mean that they're better fighters.

Has a DQ loss to Matt Hamill.

Is he the most talented and gifted UFC athlete ever? Absolutely. He is the prototype of the perfect modern UFC athlete, both in skill and physical attributes. IMO Daniel's Heavyweight accomplishments, (currently the only fighter to defend a title while being a dual holder to boot) have him edged in front for career overall at this point in time.

GSP has him edged on quality of competition (IMO)

DJ, SIlva, GSP are ahead of him for consecutive title defenses.

Is he the greatest LHW? Yep.

Is he the GOAT? Could be, but has to do more for mine.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

I’m not saying it does but it leaves an opening on the argument. For mine Jones is the best I’ve ever seen by some margin but if he doesn’t get a second belt people will always have that argument especially given all of his out of cage antics and the drug stuff.

Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Has a DQ loss to Matt Hamill.

Is he the most talented and gifted UFC athlete ever? Absolutely. He is the prototype of the perfect modern UFC athlete, both in skill and physical attributes. IMO Daniel's Heavyweight accomplishments, (currently the only fighter to defend a title while being a dual holder to boot) have him edged in front for career overall at this point in time.

GSP has him edged on quality of competition (IMO)

DJ, SIlva, GSP are ahead of him for consecutive title defenses.

Is he the greatest LHW? Yep.

Is he the GOAT? Could be, but has to do more for mine.
Yeah a DQ. He's never bean beaten I should have said.
Daniel is the man, but once again, he has lost to Jones twice.
Jones's history is a bit cloudy so because of that I can bring him back to the pack a tad, level with one or two folks. But I find it hard to put anyone ahead of him.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah a DQ. He's never bean beaten I should have said.
Daniel is the man, but once again, he has lost to Jones twice.
Jones's history is a bit cloudy so because of that I can bring him back to the pack a tad, level with one or two folks. But I find it hard to put anyone ahead of him.

I don’t have anyone ahead of him but I also have no counter to the argument of “two weight class champion is better than one”.

I doubt you’ll find a single fan, casual or die hard who would honestly say they’ve seen anyone better in the cage but what do you argue if someone says GSP won in two weight classes? DC had LHW and “the” belt HW in the two biggest promotions in the sport? Nunes beat Rousey and Cyborg at bantamweight and featherweight.

The argument isn’t about if Jones is better or not it’s about the fact it’s not a bulletproof argument and if he goes and wins the hw belt it’s basically beyond doubt.

Volk jumps to 4th in the rankings. 6 places is a huge leap, good on him. Now only behind Ortega, Aldo and Edgar. I would assume he has to fight a lower ranked top 10 guy with that sort of leap but either way it’s huge for him.
Only one in the top four not to fight Max is Edgar. If Edgar doesn't get the shot Volk should imo. No way Aldo gets another shot after being destroyed by him twice and I think Ortega needs to win another fight even though he fought like a warrior. Rest of the top 10 don't deserve a shot.

So he might get a shot by default.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back