Free Agency Stephen Coniglio

Where do you think he will play in 2020 and beyond?

• GWS

Votes: 61 12.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 179 35.4%
  • Carlton

Votes: 185 36.6%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • West Coast

Votes: 27 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 40 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can West Coast afford even "fair" money, having paid similarly-fair amounts to retain Gov and Gaff?
Yes. How might you ask.

(1) The club have a shortage of players at the 24 to 26 age group and on the main list which were the expansion team compromised draft years. The 24 to 26 age bracket is when a more serious salary is paid and hence there is flexibility. Yeo is the main one in that bracket and he signed late 2017 from memory

Age at end 2019 and number of senior players on the list (we have 3 rookies in the age groups but salary would be low)
24 - 3
25 - none
26 - 2

(2) Nic Nat will likely get a salary reduction as I expect coming back from his second ACL. He will be good but not the superstar we paid out last time.

(3) Kennedy, Hurn and Jetta will be coming to the twilight of their careers and I expect more game day balanced contracts or shorter term deals

(4) I relation to Gaff, he signed for around $300k per annum below the Norf offer.

(5) The club have mainly signed players to fixed $$$ without annual escalators meaning as the cap increases in 2019, there will be more room.

As I said, Cogs is unlikely to take the highest bidder money and something around the $1 mln may just snare him.

Thoroughly ridiculous and mildly amusing that you've convinced yourself of this hahaha
Yeah mate. That’s why Jaeger moved back to WA in 2016.

Yeah mate. That’s why Jaeger moved back to WA in 2016.
Actually Jaeger was not a Perth boy and grew up about 4 hours drive north of Perth. He had a brief stint in Perth (about 1 year from memory) so no family there, no core friends there, in fact very little connection at all. About as close as a Mildura person calling Melbourne home.

I suggest you do your homework on Cogs as far as family, friends and connections. I would be very surprised he was lured to that Dizzle Dazzle of Dingley with the never ending supply of pokies and the team getaways to the tropical island getaway of Tassie.

Yes. How might you ask.

(1) The club have a shortage of players at the 24 to 26 age group and on the main list which were the expansion team compromised draft years. The 24 to 26 age bracket is when a more serious salary is paid and hence there is flexibility. Yeo is the main one in that bracket and he signed late 2017 from memory

Age at end 2019 and number of senior players on the list (we have 3 rookies in the age groups but salary would be low)
24 - 3
25 - none
26 - 2

(2) Nic Nat will likely get a salary reduction as I expect coming back from his second ACL. He will be good but not the superstar we paid out last time.

(3) Kennedy, Hurn and Jetta will be coming to the twilight of their careers and I expect more game day balanced contracts or shorter term deals

(4) I relation to Gaff, he signed for around $300k per annum below the Norf offer.

(5) The club have mainly signed players to fixed $$$ without annual escalators meaning as the cap increases in 2019, there will be more room.

As I said, Cogs is unlikely to take the highest bidder money and something around the $1 mln may just snare him.
I think a mil a year might be a bit more than we can afford. I doubt it'll be us or you that makes the biggest offer though. As with Gaff and Kelly I dont think the existing club wants to be too far off but doesn't have to match.

Actually Jaeger was not a Perth boy and grew up about 4 hours drive north of Perth. He had a brief stint in Perth (about 1 year from memory) so no family there, no core friends there, in fact very little connection at all. About as close as a Mildura person calling Melbourne home.
Was Jaeger a WA boy or not?

I suggest you do your homework on Cogs as far as family, friends and connections. I would be very surprised he was lured to that Dizzle Dazzle of Dingley with the never ending supply of pokies and the team getaways to the tropical island getaway of Tassie.
Settle down turbo, its january, don’t use all your bait up early.

But Melbourne is, I take it.
Not everyone's the same though. You can't equate a teenage Cam McCarthy with Cogs who has been with us for 7 years and is settled for example.

We have a few West Australians and by all reports a bit of a WA mafia led by De Boer. He trained with Zac Langdon in Perth last Christmas to help him prepare to transition from WAFL to AFL, and Langdon was ready from round 1 last year.

In the 2017 off season De Boer gave up his own time in the time trials to run with Cogs and get him to a PB.

Even Hill this year was keen to meet De Boer in his intro video, I'd suggest word has got around.

Homesickness is absurd I agree.

There other factors such as does he want his family around to assist at some point if that's his intention? Does he want to end his career in Perth and move more seamlessly into the family business? I have no clue but these things could legitimately be a consideration.

Travelling every second week on long flights wouldn't be too greatly appealing to someone who's already doing quite a bit of travel in-season.

Melbourne clubs have the advantage of less travel, more mates that you've played with easily accessible and more opportunities to really make $$$ on the back of football.
Here here but they can’t have any allowances or help because that would bring clubs on parity vfl house can’t have that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s pretty logical that Melbourne clubs could have an advantage in gaining WA players who don’t want to travel every second week, don’t you think?
That's not relevant until someone can confirm that he is one of those 'WA players who don't want to travel every second week'

What is relevant is that he is a west Australian and west Australians who chose to move clubs overwhelmingly chose to return to WA.

For sure.

So let's say the travel is a major issue for Cogs?

Why would he choose Hawthorn? They travel interstate a grand total of one less time than West Coast next season.

If it is a concern he will avoid Hawthorn, North and Melbourne who all sell their home games interstate.

So let's say the travel is a major issue for Cogs?

Why would he choose Hawthorn? They travel interstate a grand total of one less time than West Coast next season.

If it is a concern he will avoid Hawthorn, North and Melbourne who all sell their home games interstate.
Pfft

I doubt the family club would even pop round to the Coniglios for a BBQ when they're in Perth.

Pfft

I doubt the family club would even pop round to the Coniglios for a BBQ when they're in Perth.
You only had to see the way Clarko embraced Brad Hill the first time we played Freo in Perth after he crossed over to know what sort of value Clarko places on relationships.

Would hope we throw our hat into the ring in a serious way if he decides he'd like to play in Melbourne.

And I'd put our 2019 + 2020 1st round picks on the table to help satisfy the Giants.
RFA - you just need an offer they can’t match. Why would you give them the Crows 1st and your 2020 1st for a player you can get for free? You would have the money that GWS would struggle to match.

RFA - you just need an offer they can’t match. Why would you give them the Crows 1st and your 2020 1st for a player you can get for free? You would have the money that GWS would struggle to match.
Cant see us trying frankly. What you miss is he has to want to take it though.

The way I think it'll go down is we'll make the best offer we can. It'll likely be accepted but if not we wish him well, genuinely. He will have given 8 years of great service

People on here will think that means he'll go but it doesn't of course.

That was under the assumption they'd match given the amount of salary they shed at the end of this year.

Of course would love him for free but can't see it happening and would be prepared to trade big for him instead.

That was under the assumption they'd match given the amount of salary they shed at the end of this year.

Of course would love him for free but can't see it happening and would be prepared to trade big for him instead.
I'm not McCartney or Caruso obviously, but we have a lot of people to sign next year.

Dave Mattews told us supporters we would have the money to go after a big target in trade oeriod next year. Maybe he just couldn't soeak publicly about retention yet, which would be ok to me.

Pretty sure I speak for most of us members when I say I want every cent available spent on retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back