Player Watch #35: Nathan Broad

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Don't know about not being able to hurt the oppo going the other way, bloke has a fair tank and if he's on a mid who's not renowned for their defensive running then he could hurt them big time, thinking GAJ/Danger etc. Would give him the opportunity of getting loose inside the Fwd 50.

I get what you say about the ability to win the ball on the inside, but if he's tagging an outside distributor then he has the advantage. JMO.
I agree with your last post about tagging an outside runner like Montagna and even perhaps Gaff but i think its rare these players get tagged its more the inside players that get a fair bit of the ball.

The best taggers Ling/Jacobs usually get a fair bit of the ball and make the player they are tagging actually have to defend against the tagger at times which goes a fair way to nullifying that player - Ryan Crowley was the interesting one only averaging 16 possessions a game but was annoying as farq

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree with your last post about tagging an outside runner like Montagna and even perhaps Gaff but i think its rare these players get tagged its more the inside players that get a fair bit of the ball.

The best taggers Ling/Jacobs usually get a fair bit of the ball and make the player they are tagging actually have to defend against the tagger at times which goes a fair way to nullifying that player - Ryan Crowley was the interesting one only averaging 16 possessions a game but was annoying as farq
Wrong thread for me to banging on about Ellis, possibly need a thread about tagging anyway cos I reckon Graham is our inside worker, reckon we might need an outside worker too.
Anyway, back to Broad........great name for a 'titsologist'

Jul 27, 2008
wahgunyah
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg, Oklahoma City Thunder
He is a very fit, dependable, tough, lock down mid sized defender who can also link up get ball moving forward. You'd love coaching him. Having said that there will always be pressure on him to get picked as we evolve our back 7. Garthwaite needs games in 2019.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sir_Rancelot

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't understand why there is no love for Broady.
He has been solid and very reliable to date.
I can't see him being pushed out because of the following, he has an awesome tank, plays tall and small and it as tough as nails.
IMO Short could be venerable this year, he has some amazing attributes but is the least accountable player in our backline.
Talk of **** being replaced is bloody absurd watch the grand final again and see how good he was.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I can't see him being pushed out because of the following, he has an awesome tank, plays tall and small and it as tough as nails.
IMO Short could be venerable this year, he has some amazing attributes but is the least accountable player in our backline.
Talk of **** being replaced is bloody absurd watch the grand final again and see how good he was.
I agree...badly worded previous post of mine...meant that if Broady does get dropped it will be for some quality kid coming through as for all the first starting 22, competition will drive change...

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
sorry to be the ass, but venerable means 'accorded a great deal of respect, especially because of age, wisdom, or character'.... which changes your post 180º....
Blame the heatwave up here....

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Our backline was rated best in the league. Broad was a part of that mix. Played 18 games. I can't forsee dramatic change to it by the selectors. There are some rule changes coming in. I don't think they will affect Broad too much. Kick ins after a behind is Short's job. Looking at the rate Garth is growing, 195+ by the look of it, could see him brought in against Cox maybe. Garth slotted straight in. I hope Markov can adjust to the pace of senior footy.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2007
THE TAN
AFL Club
Richmond
Playing both houli and short robs the best 6 of a tall which often sees broad and Grimes playing on blokes way bigger than them. Drop one of houli and short bring in garthwaite which releases Grimes and Broad. Seems a obvious and logic move especially with the trouble opposition key tall forwards have caused us, no more so than the prelim.

Last edited:
Did Broady spend any time through the middle before we drafted him ?.....got a vague feeling he may have?......Anyone know ?...cheers

Oct 11, 2003
somewhere in the jungle something is lurking
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
tigers
Playing both houli and short robs the best 6 of a tall which often sees broad and Grimes playing on blokes way bigger than them. Drop one of houli and short bring in garthwaite which releases Grimes and Broad. Seems a obvious and logic move especially with the trouble opposition key tall forwards have caused us, no more so than the prelim.
Painfully spot on
painfully spot on

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
We have Asbury and Rance as 'talls'. Grimes and Broad are 193cm, so quite tall as well. How many forward lines have more than 4 players over 193cm?
Occasionally Grimes or Broad may stand a 'tall' for a period in a game, so can get caught on a mismatch occasionally, but not often. Also Vlastuin is strong overhead as well. Reckon we are pretty good for tall backman, and 2 rebounding defenders are vital in today's game.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
If and when Markov gets into our backline. He is 8-10cm taller than Houli & Short (& Ellis) So that is a different look instantly. Bachar will be the first to depart. (Maybe Broad will attract interest from WA clubs & maybe Ellis will be FA)
I see Garth & Markov as being part of our backline, I hope we can give them senior game time in 2019.
Eagles play a couple of rucks on the field, & Pies have Cox (other than him, their fwd line is not that tall) Nank needs to play ruck/defender & we have to use Lynch's height. He our is equal tallest player.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
We have Asbury and Rance as 'talls'. Grimes and Broad are 193cm, so quite tall as well. How many forward lines have more than 4 players over 193cm?
Occasionally Grimes or Broad may stand a 'tall' for a period in a game, so can get caught on a mismatch occasionally, but not often. Also Vlastuin is strong overhead as well. Reckon we are pretty good for tall backman, and 2 rebounding defenders are vital in today's game.

Grimes plays on smalls half the time.

Having Broad in the backline releases Rance to float and dominate.

The backline generally seems far more sturdy with Broad in it IMO

mopsy

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2005
Other Teams
RICHMOND

Our backline even with Broad and Grimes and lets face it even though both are over 190cm are not your typical tall. in fact they perform roles that are suited to smalls and mediums and could in reality be classified as such.

I have been through this every yr it seems. Lots of fwd lines have 3 or 4 players over or very close to 190cm i ask how many have 3 or 4 players in defense over 190cm. Few teams have more than one player in defense under 6ft. Imo clubs in general have gone this way it is the norm.

I look at the collingwood p/f debacle and what sort of hit me was just how much bigger they were across the ground in general. and that was despite them having kpf players out due to injury.

I count 9 players above 190cm and a lot of the others were 186 - 189 cm. I think they had just 4 players under 6ft 183cm in their team.

In comparison we had 10 players under 183cm 6ft and the question i keep asking myself is how many can we play before it begins to really hurt us.
I reckon we all agree we needed another tall fwd and we need some more big mids to me they should come in to the team at the expense of smaller players.

Imo there really is a distinction to be made between Dinosaurs of which you dont want a bar of , Kpfs, and genuine talls who are not really kpp's and the roles they are performing.
It should be looked upon as a bonus if you have taller players who can perform a small/medium rolerather than a liability.

Grimes and Broad are a case in point. Yep genuine talls but they are not dinosaurs and they dont play like kpp"s they play like medium sized players and actually perform a medium/small role allowing for another genuine tall to come into the team and allowing greater flexability.

Have a look at the succesful teams over the last 10 yrs or so. They are tall in the back half they dont have many smalls if any. Take Geelong some would say they had a dynasty well the mainstays in the back half for them from 2007 - 2011 were
Harley 192, Mackie 193, Egan 196, Hunt 185, Scarlett 192, Milburn 189, Taylor 195, Enright 187 Wojinski 180. They unfortunately lost Egan to a foot injury rnd 22 which prompted them to take the mature Taylor with their first pick in the 2007 draft.

The hawks 2012 - 2015 the shortest player they had was guerra at 182cm but he had the size 90kg to compete against bigger opponents.

I reckon there is good reasons why clubs dont have too many smalls in the back half and i reckon most can work out why.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree in part that we are pretty small across the board, but we still finished with a Premiership and a top of the table in the last two seasons, so that formula has worked pretty well. We were miserable against Collingwood, who were really the only side all year who consistently troubled us. To me is was mainly due to speed. Langdon for example marked everything that day and is only around the 190cm mark. We were cut up across the park and by Cox. Astbury being ill didn't help that cause.

Having said that, I agree with you that regarding height in the backline. Broad and Grimes have done some really good work against talls but think that someone like Garthwaite would give us more arial power and strength because he players a bit like many good backs, above their height. Scarlett/Milburn/Harley etc were similar. Garth has good running power as well. Broad does give us speed and arial strength, but very little in the way of rebound (he was better in 2017). Rance could easily take his place (I think he is wasted at Full Back), and give us more strength, power and rebound. Maybe then we might squeeze Markov in to replace Short or Houli if they lose form.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Provided a defender has good agility & speed they dont need to be small

Our Backline is extremely fast and agile with players like Rance,Broad,Grimes,Vlastuin and Astbury is really the only player thats slow/less agile

Just need to look back at players like Dustin Fletcher playing on the small fowards and doing a great job , Dylan Grimes is the perfect player for the small fowards

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Provided a defender has good agility & speed they dont need to be small

Our Backline is extremely fast and agile with players like Rance,Broad,Grimes,Vlastuin and Astbury is really the only player thats slow/less agile

Just need to look back at players like Dustin Fletcher playing on the small fowards and doing a great job , Dylan Grimes is the perfect player for the small fowards
The bottom line is we do have as you say a quick backline. There are about 9 players who deserve a spot, with Grimes / Rance / Vlastuin and Astbury cemented, and Houli and Short next then one of Broad, Ellis, Garthwaite, Markov, Menadue and maybe Naish pushing for the interchance spot. Not a bad problem to have. You would have to say our defence is the least of our problems.

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Our backline was rated best in the league. Broad was a part of that mix. Played 18 games. I can't forsee dramatic change to it by the selectors. There are some rule changes coming in. I don't think they will affect Broad too much. Kick ins after a behind is Short's job. Looking at the rate Garth is growing, 195+ by the look of it, could see him brought in against Cox maybe. Garth slotted straight in. I hope Markov can adjust to the pace of senior footy.
Markov is the obvious one , needs to play himself into the side though ,,,,Bolton or naish are a couple that may come hard for a HBF role , we ll soon see ,, they potentially offer more in offence rebounding from 50 if that’s what we re looking for

Back