No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but the thread I linked also keeps you up to date on what is happening so you can see why the change happened and what is being worked on
See below for the current latest

We are still polishing up the new site - colours and whatnot.

You will notice some things missing, some new features and so on.

If you notice something missing, post here. Many things that are missing are on the list to be re-added anyway.

Rude and unhelpful posts will be met with a kind request to re-phrase the post, and if this doesn't work we'll make another kind request to sod off.

Things to include when reporting an issue:
* Your manners
* Your device (desktop, mobile, tablet) and type (Mac, PC, iPhone, Android)
* Your browser if you know it (Safari, Chrome etc)

Things we know about:

504 errors popping up often. - Currently the top priority.
Account lock with too many login attempts - Changed to CAPTCHA authentication over lock out while we work on this one - may be related to the 504 errors.
Your club name under your details on each post - These have returned but the layout needs work
Tipping using American phrasing. - Fixing
Media embed codes not working eg YouTube - Chief's big goof. We will get that back quite soon.

Some notices might show stacked on top of each other instead of in the scrolling box. We need to edit every single notice to fix this. The upgrade also wiped all date settings on notices so you may see old notices pop up.
Some attached files are still coming across.
Media Gallery is broken and switched off.
Old VBulletin links are broken.
I don't know if BB code for tables works - will check later.
Pagination in threads on mobile - we will sort this out.

Things we will tinker with that could change a few times or not at all:
Colours.
Spacing.
Fonts - sizes and types.
Your user info beside every post (post count, AFL club, etc)

Things we consider fixed:
Badges forced into an incorrect size

Why upgrade?

Version 1 of the software is reaching end of life. No updates will be released after May, apart from security releases. Security releases will stop after December 2019.

So if it wasn't broke and didn't need fixing, it is about to be and will need fixing.

Details: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-1-5-end-of-life-schedule.157679/

Christmas/New Years is the quietest time on the site so this is the best time to upgrade.

Why not have everything running properly before upgrading?

We ran the upgrade multiple times on cloned versions of the site and it worked properly.

But you can't really test every possible combination of events until it hits the user base in the wild. Not without spending huge amounts of money, anyway. So expect issues to pop up, and expect that we will fix them.

Our custom addons like SuperNav (the pop-out side bar) couldn't be re-written in time so we decided to go ahead with the upgrade now and worry about them later. Some of the aspects of our custom work have become redundant with this new version, others just don't fit in.

But wait! There's more!

Version 2.1 of the software will be released later this year, and it will include a range of new features! And of course, an upgrade process similar to the one you are lucky enough to be experiencing right now.

We will likely wait until Christmas 2019 to upgrade again.
Yep. I hope you understand I wasn't necessarily saying the site was bloody awful, only that the poster who said so, would need to be more specific in a feedback thread.

Everything just looks so big on my mobile - is there a style button somewhere or is that only available on a pc or tablet
The lightbulb in the top status bar, if you can't see it on mobile rotate your phone into landscape and it should show up next to the search icon

I'm liking the direction of the changes. A real dark theme pleases me greatly.

I remember years ago when Facebook was making major changes every few months and people would whinge incessantly about how it was worse and they'd lose all the users over it. Then people got used to them, realised the changes were for the best and enjoyed the features they wouldn't otherwise had. Unfortunately it still didn't stop them all whinging again when the next changes rolled through.

504's are annoying but nothing a few refreshes doesn't fix. Good changes. :thumbsu:

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Longtime reader of bigfooty and don't post alot but the new changes and the disappearance of the page numbers to post on mobile is painful. If you change functionality of a site that is old at least go through the right process, so many issues seems it was rolled out to soon.

On feedback. How come th click bait always goes to rumour threads which are closed

Isn this making it harder for mods dragging old threads up?
what do you mean?

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
what do you mean?

Ah I see it’s quite random. The rumour ones do catch the eye, and rumours is not somewhere I visit a lot

This is not just since the upgrade, clickbaits been there a while

23AD9CCD-5720-4080-AC91-EA5A07786BCA.png

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back