ODI Squad vs India Announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Does this give an idea of what the selectors will go for with the WC squad or are they just trying new options. I mean... I would have Head in my side personally

Did you watch the JLT? Handscomb was one of the best batsmen in the comp.
He was just highlighting the hypocrisy of the statement when Marsh is a proven ODI performer and Handscomb isn't. Both deserve their recall due to ODI/List A form

A fun fact about the current top 10 ODI all rounder rankings. Mitch Marsh has a comfortably superior record than all bar 2 in batting and/or bowling. The two in question are Shakib Al Hasan and Angelo Mathews.

Does this give an idea of what the selectors will go for with the WC squad or are they just trying new options. I mean... I would have Head in my side personally
Struggled against Sth Africa but was in OK form before that.

Squad of 15 for the WC. 14 named there with no Head, Lynn or Short.

I think Short will provide another spin option. Zampa is a waste of a selection IMO.

Yeah - I'm more than happy with Mitch Marsh being picked for ODIs. Different game to Tests and he's pretty good at that level.

Like Watto back in the day. Used to frustrate the hell out of me in Tests - but ODIs - first bloke I'd pick. Horses for courses

Handy's a weird one. Will probably just carry the drinks and helmets to piss off Eddie and old mate Stars member.

Fair to say I am not impressed. As a Melbourne Stars foundation member this happens to us every year. We lose 4 players this year our best 4 players in the team and we have to play the top of the ladder Hurricanes too which HAVE NO PLAYERS SELECTED. This is ridiculous. They take our captain and vice captain we have no other leader in our team so what are we going to do now??? I am so angry with the selectors and this decision that they have made.

Can they just leave Glenn Maxwell out of all these 1 day teams and T20 and give him a decent go of playing the longer version of the game which includes test cricket.Potential test cricket wise the selectors have stuffed him up but perhaps I am showing my love of the" longer version of the game" instead of this short term stuff.

Last edited:
Struggled against Sth Africa but was in OK form before that.

Squad of 15 for the WC. 14 named there with no Head, Lynn or Short.

I think Short will provide another spin option. Zampa is a waste of a selection IMO.
That's fair. It will be much harder to narrow it down once Smith and Warner come back in.
Also going to be interesting to see who gets the nod for the bowlers spots given the selectors hard on for the big three quicks

Tests - Nov-Jan
SS/ODD - Oct-Jan
ODI's Jan
Big Bash Jan-Feb

We'd have clashes with the big bash and ODI's early but everyone would be available for the business end.

Players pushing for test selection would actually be playing FC cricket

AFL season starts end of March
Hmm, that works too. Geez, busy summer for Aussies with A League, Tennis, Cricket plus soccer and basketball overseas.

e best off-spin bowler in the world and we've noted how successful teams around the world have been using a two pronged spin attack in the right conditions in white ball cricket, something we are very mindful of heading to the World Cup," Hohns said.
Hmm, that works too. Geez, busy summer for Aussies with A League, Tennis, Cricket plus soccer and basketball overseas.
But then remember it is no school holiday time

Not even close, they always pick random selections before a WC before seemingly changing tack and going back to what they had wanted the last 4 years. The fact is 1/3 of the final squad isn’t playing this series

Good to see Lynn dropped, such a myth at international level

State form is apparently what they’re looking at. Lynn averaged 75 in the last JLT 50 over Comp and D.Short 80. Farcical now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't have Handscomb in full stop.
Short should be included as he's in good nick and can bowl.

I think we still lack power hitters TBH.

Wouldn't have Handscomb in full stop.
Short should be included as he's in good nick and can bowl.

I think we still lack power hitters TBH.
Handscomb is in good knick as well, and can keep.

This whole forum is just a state dick-waving competition. You're all part of the problem.

Gurinder Sandhu: 51 List A games at an average of 22.6
Sean Abbott: 53 List A games at an average of 24.5

* this forum.

None of you give a s**t about getting the best players in the team, as long as the players from your state are in the team.

You're all part of the problem.

I really liked our 2007 World Cup side. Had plenty of options with the ball and a good mix of players who brought something different.

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Symonds
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Bracken
Tait
McGrath

What I'd like to see with the squad that is available:

Aaron Finch
Shaun Marsh
Usman Khawaja
Glenn Maxwell
Mitch Marsh
Marcus Stoinis
Alex Carey
Jhye Richardson
Nathan Lyon
Billy Stanlake
Jason Behrendorff

Handscomb instead of head is weird.

M Marsh has always been an excellent ODI cricketer so no issue with him in the side.

As for what state players are from, I don’t think most here care, it’s just a loud minority who do. The whole XI could have no Vic’s for decades if we produce a side up with what we had 95-08.

I would definitely have Sandhu in the squad. He's the kind of player that will thrive in English conditions so it makes sense to reintegrate him into the international setup.

I really liked our 2007 World Cup side. Had plenty of options with the ball and a good mix of players who brought something different.

Gilchrist
Hayden
Ponting
Symonds
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Hogg
Bracken
Tait
McGrath

What I'd like to see with the squad that is available:

Aaron Finch
Shaun Marsh
Usman Khawaja
Glenn Maxwell
Mitch Marsh
Marcus Stoinis
Alex Carey
Jhye Richardson
Nathan Lyon
Billy Stanlake
Jason Behrendorff
Well Clarke was batting 4, Symonds 5, Hussey 6 and Lee was a regular, but that's just me being nitpicky.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back