Prediction Your 2019 Best 22? (Post Trade Period)

Remove this Banner Ad

I will stick with the belief that Bolton wanted them to work hard down back. To learn to fight and scramble for a way out and use their brains instead of some predictable formula for kicking out. And he knows damn well that means we look sillly at times but that is part of the price of a full rebuild. That is one reason why I am not too concerned with that work in progress. The other reason is that as our stocks rise across the field, the ball wont go in our backline as much.

Last edited:
We have to be very scientific and very precise about this matter - because there are a lot of people who think mongrel is a bad thing and that dietary fiber and wot not is what it is all about. You see there is the burden of Millenial Philosophies unburdened by actually ever having to go hungry for anything that overshadows every discussion about what it really takes to beat someone else who wants to win too.

Kane Lucas wants you to get the hard ball for him. If you can polish it too before handing it to him, he would appreciate it very much and would like to buy you a vanilla latte.

Since his retirement, Kane has been on the talking circuit discussing the topic, 'footsteps and you'.

Kane Lucas wants you to get the hard ball for him. If you can polish it too before handing it to him, he would appreciate it very much and would like to buy you a vanilla latte.

Since his retirement, Kane has been on the talking circuit discussing the topic, 'footsteps and you'.
I think its better to not make one player the scapegoat for long term systemic failure

Mongrel isn't the only 'trait' required to play at elite levels - AFL is a running game and a kicking and handballing and tackling game - skills gets you entre- mongrel gets you through opponents equally talented.

That and a sense of humour.

So was Robinson in my view....yet some would say he had some mongrel. Though not me.

I guess what we want is mongrel with some decent skill. Hoping we may have a few of those now.

I just marvel at WHs legacy!
I will always say it goes right back to when they made Brittain coach. Despite the fact we fluked a grandfinal. The arrogance of Elliot created a culture for it all to go wrong. And oh boy did it ever. Almost 2 decades of bad decisions and no leadership. No wonder the wrong players were selected and then failed en masse.

We have to talk about Dale!

I know there are a lot of posters with Thomas in their best 22 but for me he does not make it, unless for injuries during the season.

I feel Thomas is too slow for half back, can’t get any seperation and so kicks under pressure, simply transferring the pressure to a team mate. This then leads to turnovers. He only landed two tackles a game in 2018. He is average in our team overhead and is a less than average kick, in terms of creativity and effectiveness.

In the forward half his lack of pace creates no pressure as the opposing team exits and as above he gets little seperation for his average marking. He is not a reliable kick for goal.

Surely this is the year with a best 22 fit and our new recruits and returning players, we go past him, forward and back.

He is wily and great around the club I believe. He has experience, but I don’t believe these qualities warrant him playing best 22 with the limitations above.

I also don't rate Daisy - sure he can get some kicks, he is smart enough but the problem is those kicks are not good enough - I think we need creative, line breaking half backs otherwise we will continue to be a team who just don't convert on the scoreboard, the only reason he will play games is because he is smart and some kids may not get the structure/ game plan.

My points of difference in 2018 are thus (bold):
- more mobile backline (no Rowe) with Williamson adding mobility but not lacking height and the left peg will be important
- Newman to be a flexible utility, Cuningham is probably the only alternative hb in the twos
- McGovern will demand defenders pay attention and I just hope he can provide some guidance to Charlie & H
- our forward line pressure and conversion is critical to our success going forward, Bugg and Fasolo are our only proven small/medium forwards and must take their 2nd/3rd chance because we don't have much in the twos unless Polson can turn his pressure into pressure & conversion
- note Setterfield appears too good for our twos but I feel only 2 of Cripps, Kennedy and Setterfield should be in the team and Setterfield has more to prove - run from Walsh and O'Brien is required and Ed has the two way run required until our midfield builds their tanks

My Best 22 for 2019 with no Doc and Pickett struggling to get fit:

B: Plowman Jones Simpson
HB: Marchbank Weitering Williamson
C: SPS Cripps Murphy
HF: McGovern Charlie O'Brien
F: Fasolo McKay Bugg
Foll: Kruezer Dow Fisher
Int: Newman Walsh Curnow Kennedy

Reserves (Northern Blues):

B: Garlett Goddard BSOS
HB: Thomas Macreadie Schumacher
C: Finbar Stocker Cuningham
HF: Lang Casboult Silvagni
F: TDK Kerr LeBois
Foll: Phillips Setterfield Polson
Int: Lobbe Owies

Emerg: Pickett

Plowman----Weitering----Simpson
Newman----Marchbank--Williamson
SPS---------P Cripps------Murphy
McGovern--C Curnow-----Fisher
Fasolo------- Mckay---- Cuningham

Kruezer ----Kennedy----Dow

LOB, Walsh, Curnow, Lang/Bugg (or Setterfield preferred if ready)

Have LOB and Walsh on the bench. i'd prefer only one of them and go for the more mature players and the win.

Plowman - Marchbank - Simpson

Newman - Weitering - Williamson

O'Brien - Kennedy - Murphy

Fisher - Curnow - McGovern

Fasolo - McKay - Bugg

Foll: Kreuzer, Cripps, E. Curnow

I/C: Cuningham, SPS, Walsh, Dow

Em: Setterfield, Thomas

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marchbank - Jones - Simpson

Newman - Weitering - Williamson

Fisher - Curnow - McGovern

Fasolo - McKay - Bugg

Foll: Kreuzer, Cripps, E. Curnow

I/C: Cuningham, SPS, Walsh, Thomas

Em: Dow, Setterfield

No Plow and no DOW I see..surprising call ?

Seen some people select Jones, Weitering, Marchbank and Plowman in the backline...
I just can’t see this happening, I’m probably wrong but can’t remember a team rocking 4 key defenders.
What’s the reasoning? Is it because Jones and Plowman are versatile?

Seen some people select Jones, Weitering, Marchbank and Plowman in the backline...
I just can’t see this happening, I’m probably wrong but can’t remember a team rocking 4 key defenders.
What’s the reasoning? Is it because Jones and Plowman are versatile?

Cue Arrow response for the 25th time.

But Hempenshtein, i'm with you. I drop the chaotic Jones in my 22. This fixes two problems. Too tall and rids us of a guy who has no idea what he is doing.

Provisional best 22 and their cabinet positions

State - Patrick Cripps/Sam Docherty
Treasury - Caleb Marchbank
Defence - Liam Jones
Atty General - Zac Fisher
Interior - Matthew Kennedy
Agriculture - Lachie Plowman
Commerce - Dale Thomas
Labour - Will Setterfield
Health - Matthew Owies
Housing - Mitch McGovern
Transportation - Angus Schumacher
Energy - Charlie Curnow
Education - Matthew Lobbe
Veterans - Kade Simpson
Homeland security - Jacob Weitering
CIA - Ed Curnow
UN - Jack Silvagni
EPA - Sam Petrevski-Seton
Small Business - Jarrod Pickett
US Trade rep - Tom Bugg
Senior Advisor - Marc Murphy

Purely for team balance in the side I selected. He would come in for Cuningham or Thomas.

I see no problem in giving him some time in the seconds if AFL team is playing well.

Regarding Plow, I just find it hard to have him in with Weitering, Marchbank and Jones.

He and Dow only miss on team balance.
I have yet to see a team benefit by leaving out a star for any such reasoning. Dow is clearly a cut above. Thats why SOS took him and why Bolts plays him.

Simpson - Weitering - Plowman

Marchbank - Jones - Williamson

McGovern - C. Curnow - Dow

Fisher - McKay - J. Silvagni

F. Lobbe Cripps SPS

I/C. Thomas Polson Walsh Kreuzer

I did this just to show that its getting harder to pick a side.
It's been easy for far too long.

Not meant to be absolute or even my final choices. And I have left out of contention many of those we havent seen in navy blue yet till after the practice matches.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back