Channel 7 commentary whinge thread 2018-19

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fleming and Slater on the couch before was pretty funny. Attempting to have insight, failing and then resorting to anecdote whilst interrupting and cutting each other off.

It was a classic example of blokes not listening when the other bloke was talking, instead just trying to think of what they would say next.

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
Fleming and Slater on the couch before was pretty funny. Attempting to have insight, failing and then resorting to anecdote whilst interrupting and cutting each other off.

It was a classic example of blokes not listening when the other bloke was talking, instead just trying to think of what they would say next.

Classic Julio vs Nerd power play

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

10Dulkar

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2013
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
With these breakaway prices they do with Trent Copeland. The first time I can recall seeing something like was C4 coverage of the 2005 Ashes. But they would do it in between overs. I think C7 lose a bit when they do it while it interrupts the over.

It offers pretty lightweight knowledge. The only thing I've learnt through these pieces is that Starc doesn't bowl 150 over the wicket, but does do around. I never noticed that.

Channel 4 introduced "The Analyst" in the form of Simon Hughes in 1999 - I think Hughes is excellent either as an analyst or commentator.

It's a shame about Slater who was very popular over here on Channel 4 who brought him back after his serious illness as well. I guess 9 corrupted him.

With these breakaway prices they do with Trent Copeland. The first time I can recall seeing something like was C4 coverage of the 2005 Ashes. But they would do it in between overs. I think C7 lose a bit when they do it while it interrupts the over.

It offers pretty lightweight knowledge. The only thing I've learnt through these pieces is that Starc doesn't bowl 150 over the wicket, but does do around. I never noticed that.
The Copeland segments seem disconnected to the rest of the broadcast. Even though he's at the venue it feels like he's in a Sydney studio and doing the segment remotely from the cricket. Part of it is because he's not part of the ball by ball commentary team and like the couch segments I think the connection would be improved by having a glass window overlooking the field as the background.

Maybe I'm just used to 9 though where they had field in the background for their broadcasts and would sit in a studio when taking an overseas feed.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Posting to say I am TRIGGERED by Ponting and Tim Lane wagging their finger at the crowd tut-tutting them for booing Kohli. Chopra seemed confused by the sudden sanctimonious drivel being spewed.

Oriolis

Rookie
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Just watching the Renegades v Strikers game on 7. So boring I keep falling asleep just about every over. 7 have ruined bbl coverage on free to air tv. Wouldn't be suprised if BBL ratings start to take a dive, the poor commentary teams (even with Ponting and other mainstays) as well as there terrible graphics have ruined what was a good tv attraction due to what 10 did. Channel 10 made the bbl what it is and now 7 have basically destroyed it.

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Just watching the Renegades v Strikers game on 7. So boring I keep falling asleep just about every over. 7 have ruined bbl coverage on free to air tv. Wouldn't be suprised if BBL ratings start to take a dive, the poor commentary teams (even with Ponting and other mainstays) as well as there terrible graphics have ruined what was a good tv attraction due to what 10 did. Channel 10 made the bbl what it is and now 7 have basically destroyed it.

Got nothing to do with 7, it’s the BBL is s**t this year and it goes even longer than ever...

BarryMorgan

Premiership Player
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Don’t know what the biggest mystery of the summer is, why Marnus Labuschagne is batting at 3 or how James Brayshaw has a job

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Don’t know what the biggest mystery of the summer is, why Marnus Labuschagne is batting at 3 or how James Brayshaw has a job

Where is Abbey Gelmi is a bigger mystery than both. She was on the early WBBL, she was in Adelaide, she's been at a few BBL games where she's gotten a total of about 2 minutes camera time... She might as well be Amelia Earhart.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Since I'm pretty far away from the work TV, I can't tell for sure, but it looked like C7 played a minute long highlights package of one catch (that happened about 30 min ago) from several different angles and speeds.

Why?

I'm wondering what it must be like for people at work, watching without sound, who are wondering what the * channel 7's obsession with fist bumps is. Seriously 4 different conversations about it today with commentators saying "I'm too cool for that", to them having just gone back to the archive's to show Viv Richards fist bumping.

The *?

she got engaged

Well that kind of breaks my heart a little :'(

Last edited:

reubski23

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2009
Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tom Brady

1. the cage number 1 rated show
2. any given Sunday number 1 rated show
3. The footy show killed it when he hosted
4. Triple M football heads and shoulders above the rest
5. Commented for years on ING cup then internationals on 9 after averaging 42 in First Class cricket

I don’t know mate I think his resume speaks for itself

Back