Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Woosh, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that If we aren’t neck deep in September this year his bags will be packed.

I think the pressure would be on but context should always come into account.

We have the talent required and the list on paper but if that team isnt taking the park due to injury we will be found out, is that on John If we have a GWS scale injury crisis?

We are also so unsettled going into this year I'm honestly keeping the expectations a bit lower.

I think the pressure would be on but context should always come into account.

We have the talent required and the list on paper but if that team isnt taking the park due to injury we will be found out, is that on John If we have a GWS scale injury crisis?

We are also so unsettled going into this year I'm honestly keeping the expectations a bit lower.
Another free hit it is. One day Woosh might be able to be held to account for the performance of the side, but until that day...

Sheeds club record could be in jeopardy.

Another free hit it is. One day Woosh might be able to be held to account for the performance of the side, but until that day...

Sheeds club record could be in jeopardy.

Did I say free hit?

I said context is needed when making the call. Sacking someone for things that may be beyond their control is the height of idiotic.
Putting an arbitrary measure at the start of the season that if not met means instant sacking is stupid, look at Pies for the most recent example of why this is.

Did I say free hit?

I said context is needed when making the call. Sacking someone for things that may be beyond their control is the height of idiotic.
Putting an arbitrary measure at the start of the season that if not met means instant sacking is stupid, look at Pies for the most recent example of why this is.
Don't follow the pies example, can you elaborate?

Don't follow the pies example, can you elaborate?

Pies and Buckley himself put finals as the absolute must for him to keep his job.
They got massacred by injury and other off field issues and missed.

Full club review, acknowledged that Bucks needed better people around him (something i feel john needs as of this moment) and backed him in. They play off in the grand final the following season.

I don't think you can use injuries as an excuse after seeing what Collingwood did last year.

nO eXCUSes EsSnDON!!!!!!

I think woosh will be judged on our playing style also rather than just wins and losses or winning a final. I think he made plenty of inroads with how he was utilizing certain players eg hurley playing tight rather than loose and hooker going back in defence. I think he did pretty well figuring out the best balance of forward/mid for stringer as the year went on. Can probably get his timing better with regards to swinging hooker forward but nearly jagged a couple of wins with that move. If we were to miss finals and people were calling for his head is there an obvious replacement? Clarkson is clearly the best coach in the comp but isnt available. But you look at buckley who spudded it up for years and a lot of people thought would get sacked. They stick with him and he makes the gf. Same with Richmond sticking with Dimma. In saying all of that though it will be extremely frustrating if we dont perfom next year.

I'm with Jade if we are not deep into finals then he's in pack your bags territory.

Problem is the comp is so even now, so Essendon will need a really good plan in terms of forward coherency, consistency and midfield improvement, probably a bit more solid teamwork.

Need to really fine tune a few areas just to make sure each game is a close contest.

I like that Woosha is trying to get them upbeat and confident, that’s good mental coaching.

I really do think Essendon needs a goal kicking and more skills coaching. Daniher and Hooker had some really flaky technique over the past few years. Our contested marking and leading to position was not great last year either. My opinion.

I’m a bit worried that our senior group just don’t have that X factor to compete with the best teams. You need to be really dynamic with no mucking about in game these days and pretty confident with your skills.

Hopefully Long and Francis get some games next year. I think Long could really grow in the best 22 and provide a bit of pace around the ball.

Players need to be upbeat, but they got to take skills learning really seriously.

The best players are work-horse types, the ones that are just always hungry to provide options, run, that want to endeavour the contest.

Last edited:
Problem is the comp is so even now, so Essendon will need a really good plan in terms of forward coherency, consistency and midfield improvement, probably a bit more solid teamwork.

Need to really fine tune a few areas just to make sure each game is a close contest.

I like that Woosha is trying to get them upbeat and confident, that’s good mental coaching.

I really do think Essendon needs a goal kicking and more skills coaching. Daniher and Hooker had some really flaky technique over the past few years. Our contested marking and leading to position was not great last year either. My opinion.

I’m a bit worried that our senior group just don’t have that X factor to compete with the best teams. You need to be really dynamic with no mucking about in game these days and pretty confident with your skills.

Hopefully Long and Francis get some games next year. I think Long could really grow in the best 22 and provide a bit of pace around the ball.

Players need to be upbeat, but they got to take skills learning really seriously.

The best players are work-horse types, the ones that are just always hungry to provide options, run, that want to endeavour the contest.
We have X factor coming out of our proverbial bungholes at the moment .... Irish, Walla, Raz, String, Daniher, Saad, Sheil, Smith- s**t apart from Brown and Mutch we ARE x factor; but are we durable and hardworking enough?
We MIGHT also lack some size and some aggression (and maybe height around the ground) - depending on injuries

Dont know how we can save faces if we dont win a final next year.

Not much point building a great list and then crumbling just because of a few injuries.

Not that I expect him to take the view but if I was Worsfold and I couldn't get a win in a final next year with our list I'd probably be embarrassed enough to resign.

It's unlikely that we'd be knee jerk enough to sack him and I'm not necessarily convinced that he should be sacked if the hypothetical eventuates.

I do wonder about the value of most coaches. I'm more inclined to think that the success of Hardwick and Buckley is that they stopped being bad more than becoming particularly good.

AFL clubs are too scared to sack coaches now and I suspect a lot of guys will make a lot of money waiting for and then riding the wave of a talented list.

Dont know how we can save faces if we dont win a final next year.

Not much point building a great list and then crumbling just because of a few injuries.

Not that I expect him to take the view but if I was Worsfold and I couldn't get a win in a final next year with our list I'd probably be embarrassed enough to resign.

It's unlikely that we'd be knee jerk enough to sack him and I'm not necessarily convinced that he should be sacked if the hypothetical eventuates.

I do wonder about the value of most coaches. I'm more inclined to think that the success of Hardwick and Buckley is that they stopped being bad more than becoming particularly good.

AFL clubs are too scared to sack coaches now and I suspect a lot of guys will make a lot of money waiting for and then riding the wave of a talented list.

I think the overall point is simply - it is not one persons doing for either failure as a club or success, however that success is measured. Let's for ease say success for this club is meeting the expectation of a prolonged finals campaign.

The fact that if we dont win a final ( let's just ignore any reasons why) that sacking or keeping the coach will be the solution is I think a fairly naive response.
Its wanting change for changes sake in that if we lose we must be seen to make strong hard change and more and more the coach is seen by people as the mechanism for that change.
It's also elavating a singular person above reality if success is achieved when they were but a singular part of the greater machine.
Think Beveridge of the doggies. Master coach to lost the team in some viewpoints. That shouldnt happen but hey let's just look at those W/L or results in isolation.

I'm not too sure that its fear to sack coaches, and even if it is I dont think it is a bad thing. When in this country we appear to lean more towards the one and done approach to coaches I dont think holding off and looking at the support staff and department as a whole is so bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it depends on who we lose too, I doubt we would sack Woosha if we lost to WCE in Perth.

Considering we’ve never lost to West Coast in finals?

I thought i read somewhere cara wasnt interested in senior coaching. Has he ever applied for a senior position? Would harvey or hird even want to be senior coach again? Who are the others? What if we miss finals in the replacement coaches first year?

Bring back Hirdy
That has to be one of the dumbest things the club could do. Not only was he the public face of the saga, the reality is he wasn't a good coach. If Brisbane were to re-hire Michael Voss, what would you say about them? If Worsfold was sacked the club should be looking at someone like Brenton Sanderson.

That has to be one of the dumbest things the club could do. Not only was he the public face of the saga, the reality is he wasn't a good coach. If Brisbane were to re-hire Michael Voss, what would you say about them? If Worsfold was sacked the club should be looking at someone like Brenton Sanderson.
Who was sacked also.
Hird could coach, but I realize he would never be re-appointed.

Who was sacked also.
Hird could coach, but I realize he would never be re-appointed.
He scraped us into finals twice. Sanderson was a good coach for Adelaide, a smart tactition and was prematurely let go IMO.

He scraped us into finals twice. Sanderson was a good coach for Adelaide, a smart tactition and was prematurely let go IMO.
Lost the players very quickly, not sure I would look at him.

Isn't Rutten a senior in waiting?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

The players had drug bans, the players had to come back from drug bans, it rained this time, Perth is too far away...
While you're rocking in s**t posting any chance you'll remember the post directed to you above about putting performances into context?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back