News Harley Bennell - Ends at Freo in 2019

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is a newspaper that can fit the whole worlds news on one page and still have room for 2 decent sized adds

It's a glorified community newspaper with a better sports section
Don't diss community news! The Post Community newspaper is one of the few independent reporting newspapers left. Notice it has nothing to say about Bennell.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Had he been with NN the headlines would have been different.
"Fijian superman saves fallen Docker from a fate worse than death."
:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
What if Bennell rang Peter Bell after this happened and Bell notified the media for the articles to be run?

What if Harley was plastered and Colin young found out through social media and he contacted the club? So many “what if’s”.

I’m honestly holding my breath that Harley is there tomorrow.... that is sad the point that I’m at. No other player on our squad do I have the same worry.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was thinking that if Peter Bell really did want to get Harley out of the club then making sure there was some media about it before dropping the boot on him would be the smart plan.

EFA.

Seriously though, I doubt he’d have to worry about going to any effort. The WA media are all over anything negative re our club and add extra interest if it involves Harley.

JBMAN

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just on this incident, forgetting anything in the past, it seems to be absolutely nothing, asked to leave and complies. Monday will tell the story, if he is up to scratch fitness wise and there is nothing more to incident then the club doesn't even need to make a statement. There is nothing to answer. He wasn't in training so he can have a drink and go where he likes but needs to come back to the club in good nick, thats all.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
This is WA remember, journalists don't really have much to do with their time except make stories sound worse than they actually are and provide us with rolling coverage of Ben Cousins.
Hey, you seem to be missing all those years where the media didn't provide rolling coverage of Ben Cousins (or Chick-ee, Gard-ee, Kerr-ee and etceter-ee).

Just on this incident, forgetting anything in the past, it seems to be absolutely nothing, asked to leave and complies. Monday will tell the story, if he is up to scratch fitness wise and there is nothing more to incident then the club doesn't even need to make a statement. There is nothing to answer. He wasn't in training so he can have a drink and go where he likes but needs to come back to the club in good nick, thats all.
A top ten finish in the time trial will go a long way to forgetting the past.

Frigate

Club Legend
Jun 17, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
There seems to be 2 stand out stories for Harley.

I will focus on non Freo supporters first, as every BBQ I go to the footy conversation goes like this :
1. "You have to get rid of that Harley" character!" 9 times out of ten these are Eagles supporters making this statement for a template to win. My usual reply is "are you guys going to get rid of the Liam player?". The conversation will roll on, and then Cousins comes into it, and they say they needed to clear out the players with the culture issue and I point out they still one a flag with these players, in fact both him(9th) and Kerr (2nd) both in the top ten for the Brownlow. So would they have won the flag without them? No. TImes have changed though.

Next : the Freo Faithful.
1. "He has played 2 games in 3 years, it is about time he pulled his finger out and earned his money". My reply to this, is that he has met all the requirements in his contract in this from a work perspective. Off the field he has had his indiscretions, and it is not my point to justify these, or make this the point. The point is that someone like Brad Hill can do something far worse than Bennell has done, and that gets slapped on the wrist and we move on. The main reason is that he is playing and we have seen him plays some great games in Purple.

Harley is considered one of the hardest workers on the training track which is what you want as apposed to the late Sylvia. He has achieved many best on ground performances for Peel, and looked a level above. It is his body that has not held up. The question for me is "do we have a list capable of a premiership within 4years"? If it is yes, you keep your best players that want to be there, even if they are getting injuries". If it is no, then the high risk players you move on. Harley would be there, Sandi would be there, Ballas would be there.

In my opinion, we have a good list now, capable of playing finals footy. I want the best players on our list, I think Harley is worth persisting with given his age. While he is not playing he is not really taking a spot either. IF anything it has provided others an opportunity to fill a void. No body has really done that. An example is Walters going to the midfield, leaving a hole in our forward line, and then getting injured leaving a bigger hole. This is not Harley's fault - it is the fact that we have lacked A grade midfielders and A grade forwards. If we had Harley fit and available and he was not getting a game, then we would be a top 4 team. years.

I appreciate the comment "we are paying him for nothing", which is far from the truth IMO, we are paying him to work hard to be available. Same with Fyfe, same with the Hill brothers, same with Blakely, same with Sandi, same with Walters, same with everyone on our list that has had an injury in the past. Just understand, they want to be out there playing AFL, it is all they have ever wanted. Injuries suck!

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

I will focus on non Freo supporters first, as every BBQ I go to the footy conversation goes like this :
1. "You have to get rid of that Harley" character!" 9 times out of ten these are Eagles supporters making this statement for a template to win. My usual reply is "are you guys going to get rid of the Liam player?". The conversation will roll on, and then Cousins comes into it, and they say they needed to clear out the players with the culture issue and I point out they still one a flag with these players, in fact both him(9th) and Kerr (2nd) both in the top ten for the Brownlow. So would they have won the flag without them? No. TImes have changed though.

1. "He has played 2 games in 3 years, it is about time he pulled his finger out and earned his money". My reply to this, is that he has met all the requirements in his contract in this from a work perspective. Off the field he has had his indiscretions, and it is not my point to justify these, or make this the point. The point is that someone like Brad Hill can do something far worse than Bennell has done, and that gets slapped on the wrist and we move on. The main reason is that he is playing and we have seen him plays some great games in Purple.

Harley is considered one of the hardest workers on the training track which is what you want as apposed to the late Sylvia. He has achieved many best on ground performances for Peel, and looked a level above. It is his body that has not held up. The question for me is "do we have a list capable of a premiership within 4years"? If it is yes, you keep your best players that want to be there, even if they are getting injuries". If it is no, then the high risk players you move on. Harley would be there, Sandi would be there, Ballas would be there.

In my opinion, we have a good list now, capable of playing finals footy. I want the best players on our list, I think Harley is worth persisting with given his age. While he is not playing he is not really taking a spot either. IF anything it has provided others an opportunity to fill a void. No body has really done that. An example is Walters going to the midfield, leaving a hole in our forward line, and then getting injured leaving a bigger hole. This is not Harley's fault - it is the fact that we have lacked A grade midfielders and A grade forwards. If we had Harley fit and available and he was not getting a game, then we would be a top 4 team. years.

I appreciate the comment "we are paying him for nothing", which is far from the truth IMO, we are paying him to work hard to be available. Same with Fyfe, same with the Hill brothers, same with Blakely, same with Sandi, same with Walters, same with everyone on our list that has had an injury in the past. Just understand, they want to be out there playing AFL, it is all they have ever wanted. Injuries suck!
Whilst I agree with your comments I couldn’t give a s#*t what E-girl supporters have to say. At the end of the day Harley needs to rock up to work on Mon fit and ready to go. Then get himself on the park playing decent AFL football.

On the 30th Dec he was with a group of mates (incl. apparently Matera) having a good time. They rocked up to CBH (strong E-girls hangout) and the group (incl. Harley) were asked to leave, which they promptly did. He then reportedly informed the club. Nothing story - waste of air-time. The only issue will be if he doesn’t rock up fit and ready to work on Mon.

He has been given one last chance with a 1-year contract in part due to the fact that he managed to play 10 WAFL games.

He needs to be playing AFL this coming season not WAFL. If his body breaks down preventing him from playing a decent no. of AFL games (>12 games) or he has further off field indiscretions impacting on his ability to train and play then goodbye.

He can start the year in the WAFL but if he does he needs to quickly progress to AFL. Also can’t afford 6-8 games of managed minutes where he sits on the pine for the majority of the 2nd half. Finally - I never want to see him paddling along on that scooter bicycle.

Last edited:

Ghost Pig

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/w...ith-ben-simmons-kendall-jenner-ng-b881066007z

lel if it was harley attending this, during rehab for another calf, it would show a picture of harley w puffy, breezy and nas captioned "Bennel pictured with suspected murderer Sean "Diddy" Combs, Chris "Breezy" Brown, the man responsible for the notorious and brutal 2009 bashing of pop megastar Rihanna and Nasir "Nasty Nas" bin Olu Dara Jones, a nigerian american hardcore rapper who left school in grade 8 after stabbing a fellow student with a 2B pencil."

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/w...ith-ben-simmons-kendall-jenner-ng-b881066007z

lel if it was harley attending this, during rehab for another calf, it would show a picture of harley w puffy, breezy and nas captioned "Bennel pictured with suspected murderer Sean "Diddy" Combs, Chris "Breezy" Brown, the man responsible for the notorious and brutal 2009 bashing of pop megastar Rihanna and Nasir "Nasty Nas" bin Olu Dara Jones, a nigerian american hardcore rapper who left school in grade 8 after stabbing a fellow student with a 2B pencil."

What's wrong with what Nic Nat has done?

Looks like a fun night out with no evidence of drugs and alcohol

JBMAN

Team Captain
Aug 8, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle have confirmed controversial midfielder Harley Bennell will not receive any sanction from the club after his latest off-field indiscretion.
Bennell, who is due to return to training tomorrow along with his teammates following their three-week Christmas break, was asked to leave Cottesloe’s Ocean Beach Hotel last weekend for being drunk.
Having being warned he was on his last chance after a string of incidents, it is understood the Dockers consider the matter a minor one. A club spokesperson yesterday confirmed the 26-year-old would not be punished.
Having played just two games in three seasons at Fremantle due to a string of calf injuries, Bennell put together a solid training block before Christmas to ignite hopes he could turn his fortunes around. The gifted player was handed a one-year contract extension and will play for his career in 2019.
Fremantle football boss Peter Bell said in a statement earlier this week that Bennell had complied with the request to leave a licensed venue.
Meanwhile, West Coast forward Josh Kennedy is expected to remain in modified training away from the main group when the Eagles return tomorrow. The 31-year-old had shoulder surgery after the flag win but expects to be ready for West Coast’s season-opener against Brisbane on March 23.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Kinda agree but only now that Apeness has retired with him Bennell and at least 1 of Shill , Sandi or Fyfe on the injury list it was like we were running with 3 down from the start which was affecting our depth

Keeping him on the list is only a good decision if he gets back to playing some decent footy for us because you never know who could of come into that spot , there is a chance however slight that keeping Harley has cost us the chance to add a potential star to the list

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

M_rash

Club Legend
Jan 20, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
As expected a nothing story.. ******* scum
Be prepared for tomorrow’s BREAKING STORY.

Bennells wild Saturday night. Suspicious white lines on table whilst playing uno.

1546767879972.png

Back