Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Meg. Can't believe Jessica McNamee from Packed to the Rafters is in this (relatively) big Holywood popcorn flick. Doesn't do much in the way of acting but she is still gorgeous as hell lol. Ruby Rose gives her usual banal, why the * is she even getting casted role as she always does

Also stars a guy who looks like the Epic Meal Time main guy (much less charismatic) and that bad sort of South American looking villian from Arnie action films around the late 90s early 2000s who seriously looks like he's straight from the late 90s and early 2000s. That's some seriously impressive non-aging for 20 years. Jason Stathem does watered down Jason Stathemy things. There's a also a budget Ken Watanabe thrown in for good measure and a fat Jeff Bridges circa Dumb and Dumber era. And a budget Michelle Yeoh. Oh and this guy

7c48b30f1b3bfe52874a037e96c59d5e--meg-griffin-family-guy.jpg

Seriously the plot is non existent, the overacting horrendous and it's super insulting to the Jaws series. It's not even fun.

Why do I keep hiring out terrible films.

1/5 because Jess

Last edited:
Birdbox - yeh this one was pretty poor. It’s a really, really bad version of A Quiet Place, seriously everything is the same except that krasinski made his post apocalyptic family drama with care, emotion and actual love. Really disliked this 3/10
The Age was raving about it, so I knew then not to bother with it.

I think aquaman and the way they’ve done the character here seems to be very similar to his actual personality, kind of stoner/surfer frat boy. He was vastly different as Drogo in game of thrones and even some of his films (Braven) he has been very different again but his Arthur Curry and seemingly his actual personality is either going to resonate with you or not, it’s gonna be polarizing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spotlight:
This one hits home a lot being from Ballarat and attending a school which was largely effected by the widespread epidemic of priests/brothers molesting kids. I thought it was well paced, insightful (for the uniformed) and the acting was excellent especially by Mark Ruffalo. 9/10

The First Reformed:
I got the point the movie was making and the pacing for the first 2/3rds of the movie was well done. However, I think the last act let the movie down, not just the ending, there seemed a rush to end the movie and really hammer home a point which I think was failed to be delivered. The euphoria scene with the floating bodies felt out of place but the acting was strong and well done of the true struggle of man by Ethan Hawke. 6/10

Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri:
I thought this film was well put together, the pace, the ambiguous ending and the character development between the lead actress and the cop was excellent. Woody Harrelson’s short time in the movie was executed nicely and really helped to tie into the theme of the movie. The ending was excellent I felt, there didn’t need to be a tidy rap up of all the events that took place. Well played by Peter Dinklage showing considerable versatility in his acting these days as well. 8/10

Nocturnal Animals:
The storyline epitomised a person missing their fit in this world, stuck between their desires, their knowledge of what they want their life to look like and the struggles of accepting that they will be similar to their parents. Without giving too much away, the symbolic nature of the book and everything happening in the novel as a gesture of the ex husband’s own emotions is strong. The two seperate (although dependant and important) storylines going on in the movie depict the struggles and headspace of the real life story. The pacing, acting, cinematography and storyline were all great in this film, as was the message that was being conveyed. 8/10

Bewitched - I think my wife and I might be the only two people who actually enjoyed this film. We flicked on the TV last night while she was stuck in bed with what she was very adamant was NOT Bali Belly and it had just started. Despite the overall corniness, still liked it as much as when we first saw it when it came out. It also reminded me that this was the first movie where I found Nicole Kidman attractive. 8/10

Birdbox - waaaaay overhyped this one. Didn't find it overly unique or ground-breaking. Half expecting Rick Grimes to make an appearance as it felt a little Walking Deadish in some of the delivery. Without Bullock (or Malkovich) and this would get zero attention. 5/10 - watchable without being memorable.

Also watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 - this was an interesting little flick. Quite brutal (even some of the kills were to the point that they bordered on comical). Vince Vaughn at his most restrained and he carried the flick on his broad shoulders. Not sure I could watch it again but it was worth the effort - 6/10.

Bird Box. Not terrible, but thought the use of river trip flash forwards etc just gave up any suspense in that you knew nobody in the house besides her and the 2 kids survived. Spent the whole time waiting to see how everyone else died.

Aquaman. Seen it twice now as kids wanted to go again. Good popcorn flick, corny in places, does not take itself seriously. Just shades WW as best DC movie for mine.

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Holy ****. That was brutal.

Not usually into heavy prison movies but this had an air of originality that interested me. By far the most I have ever enjoyed a Vince Vaughn performance.

4 out of 5 head stompings.

Venom; WTF did I just watch? got mind numbingly worse as the movie progressed. Hardy must have been paid a s**t load to lower his standards down to that level, there's no other explanation.

White Boy Rick; not too bad. The lead kid actor wasn't great, a bit wooden and lacking presence. McCounaghy was solid.

My Dinner with Herve. Very good. Dinklage was great, best role I've seen him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back