Bwillow11

All Australian
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Fred Klassen http://www.espncricinfo.com/netherlands/content/player/1104703.html Dutch ODI and T20I player has signed for Kent in 2019. He is English born.

Hopefully he'll be made available for Netherlands games, but I doubt it. He is yet to play a FC game. Speaking of which, has the Intercontinental Cup been scrapped as was rumoured on here? I can't find anything that suggests there is one starting in 2019, but I think it often gets scheduled very late.

That guy is playing T20 cricket at my local cricket club for this season, took 1/17 off 4 overs in his first game. I might check him out in a few weeks when the boys play at home.

WCL Division Three is underway. Oman is hosting, and would fancy their chances of getting through doubly because of that. Even if they weren't hosting, they're probably the strongest team in the division. To have any chance of participating in League 2 of the new Cricket World Championship, these teams need to win here, so that they can play in WCL 2 next year, which will be the last WCL tournament, and held in Namibia as so many have been.

Both wins yesterday (Oman over Kenya and Uganda over Denmark) were by five wickets. In today's matches, USA have finished their innings, setting Uganda 253 for victory. Singapore has set Oman a more gettable 186.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I still can't believe how far Kenya have fallen. On the other hand, it's amazing Bermuda made it to a world cup once!

Feb 18, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Fred Klassen http://www.espncricinfo.com/netherlands/content/player/1104703.html Dutch ODI and T20I player has signed for Kent in 2019. He is English born.

Hopefully he'll be made available for Netherlands games, but I doubt it. He is yet to play a FC game. Speaking of which, has the Intercontinental Cup been scrapped as was rumoured on here? I can't find anything that suggests there is one starting in 2019, but I think it often gets scheduled very late.

I'm also curious as to the future of the Intercontinental Cup. There has been a lot of chat about the new "World Cup Pathway" however there has been nothing about the cup.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
Something that slipped by me for the WCL Div 3 tournament: the ICC has allowed cricket boards to stream their matches, which they have been wanting to do for a while.
I watched the end of the US v Denmark game on the youtube stream (good game). Its a shockingly bad stream with no sound but stream >>>>>> no stream.

Despite a near-capitulation in the last few overs, Oman has secured their promotion with a four wicket win over the USA chasing 214. In the other match, Kenya has kept the dream alive with a twelve run win against Singapore, after posting 324. With one match left, Denmark has been demoted with no wins to their name, and Uganda is on the precipice after only one win.

New stars, new competitions, and above all, new certainties has been the theme of the year in Associates cricket. 2018 was a year that began with a number of open questions regarding the future shape of international cricket outside the Full Member bubble, most are now closed, though the answers will please some more than others.

The long-expected overhaul of the Associates 50-over competitive structure was finally confirmed, with the decade-old World Cricket League making way for the new CWC League system set to commence after next year's World Cup. The new structure, hashed out in consultation with Associate boards, was designed around a bang-for-your-buck principle, looking to ensure as much international cricket as possible for the 19 Associates taking part as economically as possible.

The new CWC League 2 will see seven of the top eight Associates compete in a series of trilaterals with the eventual winner getting a shot at replacing (or joining) the Netherlands in the following CWC Super League, currently comprising the Dutch and the 12 Full Members. Meanwhile, one rung below the CWC Challenge League will see the next 12 Associate (divided into two groups of six) compete in three six-team mini-tournaments over the course of the league.

The new structure provides more cricket for some, but uncertainty for others. For the 73 ICC members falling outside the new competition, it is unclear whether there will be any formal 50-over international cricket at all. A hastily-retracted press release seemed to indicate that qualification for the Challenge League would be based on T20 results, in keeping with the ICC's pivot toward the shorter format as their preferred vehicle for development outside of a select few countries.

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/105891/doing-more-with-less-the-associates-year

Not enough money (AFAIK), club cricket still gets the most turnover so the FC season is fairly truncated.
Very disappointing. Means each team only really gets 12 days of play. They probably need to bring in another two or three teams to develop the talent

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Resistor

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2012
Fly on the wall
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
they don't fear; Dallas Mavericks
Very excited about this development. Always believed the biggest benefit of the t20 format is that it helps the game grow in areas where cricket isn't popular.

Would have loved a team in Germany and Denmark too. Especially Germany, could have catapulted an already growing sport.

Oman has just finished hosting a T20I tournament with those three nations. They finished last as the only team with no wins, but Scotland, the Netherlands and Ireland all had 2-1 records, with Scotland winning on NRR.

Scotland's success didn't really come from one or two notable players, although Watt did take the most wickets. It was mostly a good all-round performance by the whole team, showcasing their depth again. Ireland was the opposite, with three of the top four run-scorers (O'Brien, Stirling, Balbirnie), but they did have some newer talent as well which is much needed. The Dutch, meanwhile, built their team around two players - Tobias Visee with the bat, who was player of the tournament with 71, 44 and 78, and Fred Klaassen with the ball.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
Oman has just finished hosting a T20I tournament with those three nations. They finished last as the only team with no wins, but Scotland, the Netherlands and Ireland all had 2-1 records, with Scotland winning on NRR.

Scotland's success didn't really come from one or two notable players, although Watt did take the most wickets. It was mostly a good all-round performance by the whole team, showcasing their depth again. Ireland was the opposite, with three of the top four run-scorers (O'Brien, Stirling, Balbirnie), but they did have some newer talent as well which is much needed. The Dutch, meanwhile, built their team around two players - Tobias Visee with the bat, who was player of the tournament with 71, 44 and 78, and Fred Klaassen with the ball.
And on to the one-dayers, where this just happened.

1550562952741.png

Mar 24, 2004
Ljubljana, Slovenia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Would have loved a team in Germany and Denmark too. Especially Germany, could have catapulted an already growing sport.
I hope they provide a pathway for other Associate cricketers in Europe to be included as "Locals". Would provide a great pathway for talent. Probably have to under EU employment legislation but regardless would be a great initiative.

Back