Bigfooty General Metal Thread Mk.VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished Erased James Colorado. I picked the killer pretty early on though it was still a pretty creepy and somewhat sad series. Didn't think Hiromi and Kayo would end up together. Haha.

One thing that makes those series what they are is the fact that they deal with very serious, very dark themes, but by using child protagonists (well, sort of in this case), it's all approached with a fearless enthusiasm. I think that goes a long way to adding another layer of tragedy to the whole proceedings, as the transition to adulthood with its concomitant loss of innocence/acquisition of cynicism therefore underlies what those same characters experience in terms of plot. I find a lot of Japanese works are lent additional pathos by this.

So ive been bingeing Sumeru, Paradise Lost, Candlemass, Conan and Church of Misery over the past few days. I think i'll probably move on to some Sleep, High on Fire, Okera and maybe Electric Wizard soon. It goes without saying that I'm really enjoying doom and sludge at the moment. I'm annoyed that i havent seen Paradise Lost or Church of Misery live despite nearly buying tickets to their shows last time they toured. Life got in the way i guess! I'm really hoping COM come back sometime as I'm assuming Paradise Lost will!

So ive been bingeing Sumeru, Paradise Lost, Candlemass, Conan and Church of Misery over the past few days. I think i'll probably move on to some Sleep, High on Fire, Okera and maybe Electric Wizard soon. It goes without saying that I'm really enjoying doom and sludge at the moment. I'm annoyed that i havent seen Paradise Lost or Church of Misery live despite nearly buying tickets to their shows last time they toured. Life got in the way i guess! I'm really hoping COM come back sometime as I'm assuming Paradise Lost will!

Paradise Lost eh? I’ve seen them numerous times, the last being extremely underwhelming. For a band who’ve been round 30 years you’d think they’d put in a little effort. No backdrop, no stage props...nothing. Nick looking totally uninterested, Greg looking like Dexter from the Offspring....one of my fave bands however a great live experience they are not.

Paradise Lost eh? I’ve seen them numerous times, the last being extremely underwhelming. For a band who’ve been round 30 years you’d think they’d put in a little effort. No backdrop, no stage props...nothing. Nick looking totally uninterested, Greg looking like Dexter from the Offspring....one of my fave bands however a great live experience they are not.
Not going to lie, that does make me feel better. Sad for a legendary band to just go through the motions/look completely uninspired like that. I hope there was a time where you saw them at the top of their (live) game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Arcturus - Aspera Hiems Symfonia

This has been a while.

Great album. Arcturus were way better pre cosmic circus bullshit.

Currently thoroughly enjoying Tomb Mold's Manor of Infinite Forms. I kinda liken it to High on Fire- not that the two sound sonically similar- but moreso in how Tomb Mold don't really sound like anyone in particular, despite still being a very much riff driven death metal band. Really fun listen.

Other stuff I've been enjoying is Ripper's Experiment of Existence, high quality Chilean thrash, and Eternal Champion's Armor of Ire for some particularly atmospheric trad heavy metal. So much cool s**t out the last few years, I'm still catching up.

Currently thoroughly enjoying Tomb Mold's Manor of Infinite Forms. I kinda liken it to High on Fire- not that the two sound sonically similar- but moreso in how Tomb Mold don't really sound like anyone in particular, despite still being a very much riff driven death metal band. Really fun listen.

Other stuff I've been enjoying is Ripper's Experiment of Existence, high quality Chilean thrash, and Eternal Champion's Armor of Ire for some particularly atmospheric trad heavy metal. So much cool s**t out the last few years, I'm still catching up.

Tomb Mold to Eternal Champion leaves plenty of ‘discovery’ room in between. I think EC includes the two Sumerlands guitarists? Be nice if they put out something new. Did you check them out?

Yeah, I tried Sumerland. It’s ok but has the same problem as Briton Rites (both bands have the same vocalist), which is that the riffs are great but the vocals are shiiiiit

Yeah, I tried Sumerland. It’s ok but has the same problem as Briton Rites (both bands have the same vocalist), which is that the riffs are great but the vocals are shiiiiit

Wow. I actually really like the vocals. Oh well, each to their own.

Edit: I agree, his voice isn’t a great fit on that Briton Rites album. It’s perfect for Sumerlands.

Last edited:

Some good stuff mentioned here. I think Tomb Mold's riffing is quite unique - the verse riff on 'They Grow Inside' is a great example of it. I'd be interested to know what sort of music Derrick Vella listens to as I imagine he has a broad range and isn't interested in just rehashing the same old same old. Guess I should look for some interviews.

Got myself the Justice box set. It's gonna take forever to get through everything. The Black Album box will be as big as a house too the way they're going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back