Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
This guy is close to AFL ready. He has a tank, is built solidly enough, is at the upper end of the age for a new recruit (he is about to turn 19). He is a well rounded footballer and has played in many big underage games. He will either play multiple games for us this year or at least contribute to the decent depth that we are building and needing. He is a part of the new quick, athletic and mobile squad Pyke is building.
Good name for a Tasmanian thread post.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
What I'm liking the most in our draftees is that there is minimal dickhead factor. The King bros / Smith/ Caldwell sound like absolute tossers.
Can't speak for Smith or the King brothers but I can assure you Jye Caldwell most definitely doesn't fit into that category. I highly doubt any of them do or they would not have been selected for for the AFL Academy squads in 2017/2018.

Oct 8, 2012
Darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers, Sturt
Just entered.
Wait till they get Sadie the cleaning lady.

giphy.gif

This guy is close to AFL ready. He has a tank, is built solidly enough, is at the upper end of the age for a new recruit (he is about to turn 19). He is a well rounded footballer and has played in many big underage games. He will either play multiple games for us this year or at least contribute to the decent depth that we are building and needing. He is a part of the new quick, athletic and mobile squad Pyke is building.
I would like to think he plays some games this year when we have injuries or looking to rest players against weaker teams. May end up surprising...

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tossers don't generally get a gig in the AFL Academy, all those named were members for 2 years. I seem to recall Rory Atkins getting booted at some point for not meeting the standard?...

Well to be fair, strong noises about Smith, the Kings and Rankine thinking they are too good to follow the same system that every other AFL player has been required to follow by naming their state.

Bicks

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
Well to be fair, strong noises about Smith, the Kings and Rankine thinking they are too good to follow the same system that every other AFL player has been required to follow by naming their state.
So that makes them "tossers" OK.
I'd doubt there's more than 2 or 3 in the whole draft who wouldn't have preferred to play in their home state other than any Tassie or NT lads.

So that makes them "tossers" OK.
I'd doubt there's more than 2 or 3 in the whole draft who wouldn't have preferred to play in their home state other than any Tassie or NT lads.

Not only that, but the AFL has been ok with letting others get away with it for a good long while (harks back to Chad refusing to play for GWS)

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Tossers don't generally get a gig in the AFL Academy, all those named were members for 2 years. I seem to recall Rory Atkins getting booted at some point for not meeting the standard?...
Yep. I'd heard a story about him eating a bucket of chicken prior to a game, stupid s**t like that. Took Atkins a bit of time to find that work ethic, but it all eventually clicked for him.

But really, these guys are all barely 18 years old. Even the best people at that age are capable of acting like immature dickheads at times.

Phantom drafts had him going to Geelong. People complaining it was a reach. Crows swoop earlier. To any naysayers, point them to Doedee. Best recent form of any recruiting staff. Kudos.

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Phantom drafts had him going to Geelong. People complaining it was a reach. Crows swoop earlier. To any naysayers, point them to Doedee. Best recent form of any recruiting staff. Kudos.
Doedee would probably be the best guide for Jones. Not so much in their roles for the team, but their athleticism, courage, skills, speed and casual demeanour are quite comparable. Hopefully he can emulate Doedee’s feats, and come first or runners up for the Rising Star award!

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Your guys do alright too. Hoping we've unearthed a Kelly like star with McAdam. Merry Xmas.

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
Top 10 non key position draft picks have a recent history of playing plenty of games

Chayce will play more than 12 IMO

Most top 10 picks probably aren’t going to sides with such a strong, established best 26.

I do tend to agree with you, he’ll get a few games and I think perhaps being a slight reach(as per predraft General consensus) helps, takes away some of that expectation that some players have to deal with.

However, if we have a good year injury wise, it wouldn’t surprise me either if he struggled a touch, just due to opportunity.

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We love having smoke blown up our arse.

That said, thankyou. We love the smoke. :)

Sep 19, 2007
The Pub
AFL Club
Adelaide
But really, these guys are all barely 18 years old. Even the best people at that age are capable of acting like immature dickheads at times.

This can be the real challenge in drafting, especially as a non-Victorian club. Guys mature quite a lot between 18 and 23, just because a guy’s a bit of a douche as a 17 year old, shouldn’t necessarily preclude from drafting him. Atkins had issues, yet talent was there and we’ve ended up with a bargain at pick 88. Sure there’s some issues with his game still, but they’re common issues with most wingers. Can go the other way though...

Giving it some more thought, Chayce seems like a really shrewd/smart pick up.

Our core list are still in their prime (at least for another couple of years), and will likely not have room. Make a lot of sense to draft Chayce given he will take some time to develop. Will be a Gun !

I don't think Chayce is the type who'll need much time. He's already at the top end at the club for endurance, and probably is 4-5kg off being an ideal size which are your two main things which cause players to be long term projects. He's 100% ready to go in 2020, and quite likely is ready now depending on how outside we go with his role. He could easily play half back now if we wanted to move Milera to 80% midfield time for instance.

Back