Player Watch Chayce Jones - Re-Signed to End of 2026

John Who

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think Chayce is the type who'll need much time. He's already at the top end at the club for endurance, and probably is 4-5kg off being an ideal size which are your two main things which cause players to be long term projects. He's 100% ready to go in 2020, and quite likely is ready now depending on how outside we go with his role. He could easily play half back now if we wanted to move Milera to 80% midfield time for instance.
How can you be confident he's ready to play in defense when there is no currenrt footage of him playing for the Crows as yet?

How can you be confident he's ready to play in defense when there is no currenrt footage of him playing for the Crows as yet?

Because he has the tools for it. He's rather quick, has a good kick on him, and has good endurance. That's the majority of what you need for a half back spot at an AFL level, seeing it's primarily an outside position.

Shaz2012

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because he has the tools for it. He's rather quick, has a good kick on him, and has good endurance. That's the majority of what you need for a half back spot at an AFL level, seeing it's primarily an outside position.

He still has to step up to the level and show he is good enough at his current level of development. That is no easy thing. If we are a side thats good enough for a top 4 spot then its a lot harder to get into that side. Its not really a matter of whether he can play AFL in 2019, which I agree, I think he can. But can he add more to the side than the guys he would have to keep out.

If we were willing to give out a gold pass or two, then he would be pretty high up on our list. But we have guys like Fog and Gallucci who are almost close enough to hold their own, so probably use up the gold passes if we decide to play them. Then we have guys that fill that need for pressure forwards. Is Chayce a better option than Murphy, McAdam, Davis, Stengle, or even McHenry. I really hope to see the club give games to most of these guys if they push close enough. Jones is high on my list, but ultimately this season more than any other season we need to go all out to make the top 4 and if we are close enough, go all out for top 2. Gold passes might be harder than usual this year.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
He still has to step up to the level and show he is good enough at his current level of development. That is no easy thing. If we are a side thats good enough for a top 4 spot then its a lot harder to get into that side. Its not really a matter of whether he can play AFL in 2019, which I agree, I think he can. But can he add more to the side than the guys he would have to keep out.

If we were willing to give out a gold pass or two, then he would be pretty high up on our list. But we have guys like Fog and Gallucci who are almost close enough to hold their own, so probably use up the gold passes if we decide to play them. Then we have guys that fill that need for pressure forwards. Is Chayce a better option than Murphy, McAdam, Davis, Stengle, or even McHenry. I really hope to see the club give games to most of these guys if they push close enough. Jones is high on my list, but ultimately this season more than any other season we need to go all out to make the top 4 and if we are close enough, go all out for top 2. Gold passes might be harder than usual this year.
"Gold passes might be harder than usual this year"

Hopefully so...#14

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We already have 2 of the best HBF'ers in the league though (Laird, Smith), and we also need to play Milera there. There's like 10 other players lining up for that spot too.
Can't see us doing it.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Hearing this guy is tearing up track and is very much letting his actions do talking

Got a feeling they will find a way to get him in side round 1 likely high forward who gets up and back
Let's hope so

But there's buzz like this every preseason. Then the reality of actually picking a side happens and we realise that if Jones (or whoever) plays then that means Douglas for instance has to miss.

Will be a bold new Crows if it happens.

Let's hope so

But there's buzz like this every preseason. Then the reality of actually picking a side happens and we realise that if Jones (or whoever) plays then that means Douglas for instance has to miss.

Needs to have an impressive JLT and then he makes it hard for the selectors to ignore him.

I'm not saying give him the spot round 1, as he's not in my best 22 this year. More that he could do it if we wanted to, and you are right, he'd be very high on our list for people we'd want to give a gold pass, though Fogarty would be the one we'd opt for. McHenry is one I do expect to get a lot of games though as he fits that pressure forward niche rather perfectly on paper, and is also apparently ready to go.

There are 22 positions, and there is never 22 consistent contributors to a side. You can always find a less important spot or two to blood some kids, and wear the fluctuating performance without much repercussion if you so choose.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's hope so

Milera McGovern Fog and Smith going back further and others played round 1 on debut

High draft picks tend to play round 1 if they aren’t talls

We already have 2 of the best HBF'ers in the league though (Laird, Smith), and we also need to play Milera there. There's like 10 other players lining up for that spot too.
Can't see us doing it.

I'd be moving Milera to being primarily an in/out midfielder this season. He's had 40-45 games, has enough to his game to be a very dangerous player there, allows us to strengthen our outside midfield component even more (which is what we need to be as strong as possible), and really we desperately need more class/x-factor in our midfield if we want to give a premiership a real shake (every side does to be fair, seeing it's something you can never have enough off). Why leave him playing a lesser role?

He's ready now, and it's pretty vital for us to move him.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Needs to have an impressive JLT and then he makes it hard for the selectors to ignore him.

Good JLT form will never be enough to push past loyal servants. Even if those loyal servants were s**t themselves. They get first crack, unless they’ve extended for a pension year like Thommo and hopefully Mackay. But we’ll see.

Last edited:

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Milera McGovern Fog and Smith going back further and others played round 1 on debut

High draft picks tend to play round 1 if they aren’t talls
I agree, when we believe we’ve identified a special talent we tend to play them and as we must rate him to take him that high I think he will get some good opportunities and he should.

The question will be if we are at full strength at whose expense?

From our 2018 side, given his role he’s competing for a spot with Galluci, Douglas, Mackay, Knight, Atkins and Murphy.

He can’t play at the expense of Galluci and Knight, they are part of our future. Atkins will be given a chance and will have to be in poor form to be dropped. Murphy is an easy one as is Mackay. The hard choice will be if it’s between Douglas and Jones, will the club think of the future and go Jones?

Mar 23, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
He can’t play at the expense of Galluci and Knight, they are part of our future. Atkins will be given a chance and will have to be in poor form to be dropped. Murphy is an easy one as is Mackay. The hard choice will be if it’s between Douglas and Jones, will the club think of the future and go Jones?
I suspect Dougie is well aware that this kind of thing is on the cards for him in 2019. He's probably also determined to not let it happen. :)

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I suspect Dougie is well aware that this kind of thing is on the cards for him in 2019. He's probably also determined to not let it happen. :)
Brain fades aside (he cost us two wins last year), Dougie is a pretty decent player. However I hope by the midpoint of the year Dougie is being pushed out of the side by a kid.

Even if it is giving Milera more midfield minutes (he is a natural attacking mid IMO) and bringing in a kid to play a peripheral role. This could be Jones to "HB depth" in the 22 to learn the game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Here is a song i don't want to hear in Round 1

TLC_NO%2BSCRUBS%2B-%2BPART%2B2-379883.jpg

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I'd be moving Milera to being primarily an in/out midfielder this season. He's had 40-45 games, has enough to his game to be a very dangerous player there, allows us to strengthen our outside midfield component even more (which is what we need to be as strong as possible), and really we desperately need more class/x-factor in our midfield if we want to give a premiership a real shake (every side does to be fair, seeing it's something you can never have enough off). Why leave him playing a lesser role?

He's ready now, and it's pretty vital for us to move him.

not me

IMO we need Milera to establish himself at HB for one more season

Milera's 2nd half of 2018 was outstanding as he really started to believe that he not only belongs at this level but also that he can dominant and influence a game, prior to this form patch he was still finding his way in the team.

My concern is moving him to the midfield now could undo some of the foundations that have been laid late last year, I say give him another season at HB with some occasional bursts through the wing / midfield before moving him permanently to the midfield in 2020.

Playing Milera at HB in 2019 will allow him to truly establish his game before taking on a bigger role in 2020

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
not me

Milera's 2nd half of 2018 was outstanding as he really started to believe that he not only belongs at this level but also that he can dominant and influence a game, prior to this form patch he was still finding his way in the team.

My concern is moving him to the midfield now could undo some of the foundations that have been laid late last year, I say give him another season at HB with some occasional bursts through the wing / midfield before moving him permanently to the midfield in 2020.

Playing Milera at HB in 2019 will allow him to truly establish his game before taking on a bigger role in 2020
That’s a safe approach. It wouldn’t be the approach Blight would take and he didn’t take with Macca.

Milera has played afl for 3 years. He excelled in the second half of 2018. He now believes in himself and we need his skillset in the middle. We have Smith back who can take that role.

Chuck him in and he could be the piece we need for 2019 but we won’t know if we are conservative.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
not me

Agree. Smith to play wing with seedsman on the other wing will give massive metres gained and accurate long kicking to our tall forwards. As for young chayce..i see him directly competing this year with atkins for a half forward / wing spot

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
That’s a safe approach. It wouldn’t be the approach Blight would take and he didn’t take with Macca.

Milera has played afl for 3 years. He excelled in the second half of 2018. He now believes in himself and we need his skillset in the middle. We have Smith back who can take that role.

Chuck him in and he could be the piece we need for 2019 but we won’t know if we are conservative.
Or keep milera at halfback as a really creative and elusive playmaker with laird and free up smith for the wing. A halfback of laird / talia / milera would have to be just about the best on paper in the league

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Or keep milera at halfback as a really creative and elusive playmaker with laird and free up smith for the wing. A halfback of laird / talia / milera would have to be just about the best on paper in the league
More than happy to move Smith up the ground but coming off a knee I think they will ease him into it rather than changing roles.

We don’t need Smith, Laird and Milera all down back.

If Atkins is playing well then Seeds and Atkins are fine, if Atkins is s**t Atkins then we make a change there.

Our middle mix is better with Brad back but he needs to stay fit. Adding a player like Milera who can evade, has pace and skills to deliver would be an awesome addition. Plus it puts him closer to goals. I would like to see it in the JLT at least.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
More than happy to move Smith up the ground but coming off a knee I think they will ease him into it rather than changing roles.

We don’t need Smith, Laird and Milera all down back.

If Atkins is playing well then Seeds and Atkins are fine, if Atkins is s**t Atkins then we make a change there.

Our middle mix is better with Brad back but he needs to stay fit. Adding a player like Milera who can evade, has pace and skills to deliver would be an awesome addition. Plus it puts him closer to goals. I would like to see it in the JLT at least.
If milera did transition to midfield it would give us another good option. I still think we have a plethora of good inside mids though and having smith and seedsman wide give us great run and carry options outside. Either way though i think both scenarios look good for us

Back