Adelaide Crows 1997 vs Richmond 2017 - Who wins?

Who wins between the 1997 Adelaide Crows against the Richmond Tigers of 2017

• Crows of 97

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Tiges of 2017

Votes: 35 66.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Could the Crows of 97 do what their counterparts 20 years later couldn't? It would be a great hypothetical match up. The Crows had a modest 13-9 record to finish the home and away season in comparison to Richmond's 15-7. Both sides had 6-5 records away from home though it must be noted a couple of those Richmond losses were in Melbourne due to playing fellow Victorian tenants. Richmond scored 1992 points in total at the end of the home and away year, let in 1684 boasting a percentage of 118.3. Adelaide amassed a grand total of 2151 and conceded 1769 yielding a percentage of 121.6. The part that matters most however is in finals and both these sides had some of the best campaigns I've witnessed, or at least the most memorable. Adelaide was a force that couldn't be stopped and become the first side ever to win 4 finals. They even chased down a deficit of 7 goals just to get to the Grand Final, ironic as four years prior they coughed up that lead in the same game. Faced adversity in overcoming a very good St.Kilda side and chased down a handy four goal handicap. In the 1997 Grand Final it was staggering that they triumphed with relative ease in the end missing big game players and big stars in general Tony Modra and Mark Riccuito. Darren Jarman destroyed the opp in the last term snagging 5 majors as the Adelaide Crows broke through for their first flag after joining the competition 6 years prior, a great triumph by an interstate side.

The Tigers were a team like the Crows who hit their straps at the right time with no one getting near them. Geelong, the Giants and Adelaide all tasted humiliating losses on the biggest stage as the Punt Road boys roared to victory. Dustin Martin became the first player in the history of the game to win a Brownlow and premiership medal in the same week, and, conjure a Norm Smith. He was blistering during September as Cotchin and Co put on a stellar display leaving their opponents dazed and confused.

Take a look at the teams and let's not forget who the Crows had. A blistering ball magnet of their own in Andrew McLeod. He would win b2b Norm Smith's as his side repeated again the very next year. This is the 97 team however, so I will base my assumption on this season and this season alone { as should you } Caven, Hart, Jameson and Smart in defence with Bickley, Connell, Koster, Johnson as well as others forming the mid. Richmond had the great Rance in defence with Houli who roams off half back, can play midfield and also surge forward. Richmond have spearhead Jack Riewoldt leading the line with a host of many other forwards chipping in like Rioli, Castagna, Butler { the smalls } and others like Caddy and Townsend to name a few.

It's a hard match up as both were obviously the best sides in the finals, for Adelaide, not throughout the home and away season. When it's all said and done it does only matter what you produce in September and they both were unstoppable and did it in different ways. The Crows took whatever adversity the football gods put in their wake and overcome it in testing battles against Geelong, the Doggies, and again vs the Saints while the Tigers belted the living daylights out of the three opponents mentioned. Adelaide did win on Victorian soil, something the Adelaide Crows of 20 years later failed to do. The 97 Crows faced the likes of Brownlow Medallist Robert Harvey, Nathan Burke, Aussie Jones and a formidable front line of Hall and Heatley. Nicky Winmar was badly out of form on the day while Stewie Loewe still conjured up two goals, two other bigger names for the Saints. This is how I have it if they brought their best form going into Grand Final day.

After a tense first term which saw both sides kick two a piece in the first 20, the Tiges nail a couple through Rioli and Riewoldt to hold a two goal lead. Right before quarter time the Crows pull one back through Troy Bond. Richmond leads 4.3 to 3.4 at quarter time.

The second quarter and much like the first it's pretty even. 3 goals each added in the 2nd before the Crows goal right on half time making it honours even going into the main change. 7.6 a piece.

The third term and much like the grand final of 97, the Crows eventually take control in the second part of the 3rd term. Mcleod and Johnson start to win the midfield battle, and after trailing by a couple in the early stages of the premiership quarter, Adelaide's dominance reigns true as they hold a 14 point advantage with a quarter to spare. They lead it 12.11 to 10.9

The last quarter and you know where this is heading. Sorry Richmond fans, but when you think of Darren Jarman, you think of Mike Tyson, and It's lights out folks. Darren Jarman closes the show and forces Tiger despair as he bags not quite the 5 that he got in 97, but the modern day five, which is three. He does finish with 5 for the game though as the Adelaide Crows pull away quite convincingly in the end as they often did when the chocolates were on the table mustering out a 18.14 to 13.11 Victory. When you go toe to toe with the Crow, down you go.

Norm Smith - 3 from 3 for Andrew.

Goals - Jarman 5 Bond 3 Mcleod 2 Ellen 2

Richmond - Riewoldt 3 Rioli 2 Martin 2 Caddy 2

Crows of 97 won against all the best sides that year come September. But the last two times, they did it on the MCG. Adelaide was a force that quite simply, were irrepressible.

Could the Crows of 97 do what their counterparts 20 years later couldn't? It would be a great hypothetical match up. The Crows had a modest 13-9 record to finish the home and away season in comparison to Richmond's 15-7. Both sides had 6-5 records away from home though it must be noted a couple of those Richmond losses were in Melbourne due to playing fellow Victorian tenants. Richmond scored 1992 points in total at the end of the home and away year, let in 1684 boasting a percentage of 118.3. Adelaide amassed a grand total of 2151 and conceded 1769 yielding a percentage of 121.6. The part that matters most however is in finals and both these sides had some of the best campaigns I've witnessed, or at least the most memorable. Adelaide was a force that couldn't be stopped and become the first side ever to win 4 finals. They even chased down a deficit of 7 goals just to get to the Grand Final, ironic as four years prior they coughed up that lead in the same game. Faced adversity in overcoming a very good St.Kilda side and chased down a handy four goal handicap. In the 1997 Grand Final it was staggering that they triumphed with relative ease in the end missing big game players and big stars in general Tony Modra and Mark Riccuito. Darren Jarman destroyed the opp in the last term snagging 5 majors as the Adelaide Crows broke through for their first flag after joining the competition 6 years prior, a great triumph by an interstate side.

The Tigers were a team like the Crows who hit their straps at the right time with no one getting near them. Geelong, the Giants and Adelaide all tasted humiliating losses on the biggest stage as the Punt Road boys roared to victory. Dustin Martin became the first player in the history of the game to win a Brownlow and premiership medal in the same week, and, conjure a Norm Smith. He was blistering during September as Cotchin and Co put on a stellar display leaving their opponents dazed and confused.

Take a look at the teams and let's not forget who the Crows had. A blistering ball magnet of their own in Andrew McLeod. He would win b2b Norm Smith's as his side repeated again the very next year. This is the 97 team however, so I will base my assumption on this season and this season alone { as should you } Caven, Hart, Jameson and Smart in defence with Bickley, Connell, Koster, Johnson as well as others forming the mid. Richmond had the great Rance in defence with Houli who roams off half back, can play midfield and also surge forward. Richmond have spearhead Jack Riewoldt leading the line with a host of many other forwards chipping in like Rioli, Castagna, Butler { the smalls } and others like Caddy and Townsend to name a few.

It's a hard match up as both were obviously the best sides in the finals, for Adelaide, not throughout the home and away season. When it's all said and done it does only matter what you produce in September and they both were unstoppable and did it in different ways. The Crows took whatever adversity the football gods put in their wake and overcome it in testing battles against Geelong, the Doggies, and again vs the Saints while the Tigers belted the living daylights out of the three opponents mentioned. Adelaide did win on Victorian soil, something the Adelaide Crows of 20 years later failed to do. The 97 Crows faced the likes of Brownlow Medallist Robert Harvey, Nathan Burke, Aussie Jones and a formidable front line of Hall and Heatley. Nicky Winmar was badly out of form on the day while Stewie Loewe still conjured up two goals, two other bigger names for the Saints. This is how I have it if they brought their best form going into Grand Final day.

After a tense first term which saw both sides kick two a piece in the first 20, the Tiges nail a couple through Rioli and Riewoldt to hold a two goal lead. Right before quarter time the Crows pull one back through Troy Bond. Richmond leads 4.3 to 3.4 at quarter time.

The second quarter and much like the first it's pretty even. 3 goals each added in the 2nd before the Crows goal right on half time making it honours even going into the main change. 7.6 a piece.

The third term and much like the grand final of 97, the Crows eventually take control in the second part of the 3rd term. Mcleod and Johnson start to win the midfield battle, and after trailing by a couple in the early stages of the premiership quarter, Adelaide's dominance reigns true as they hold a 14 point advantage with a quarter to spare. They lead it 12.11 to 10.9

The last quarter and you know where this is heading. Sorry Richmond fans, but when you think of Darren Jarman, you think of Mike Tyson, and It's lights out folks. Darren Jarman closes the show and forces Tiger despair as he bags not quite the 5 that he got in 97, but the modern day five, which is three. He does finish with 5 for the game though as the Adelaide Crows pull away quite convincingly in the end as they often did when the chocolates were on the table mustering out a 18.14 to 13.11 Victory. When you go toe to toe with the Crow, down you go.

Norm Smith - 3 from 3 for Andrew.

Goals - Jarman 5 Bond 3 Mcleod 2 Ellen 2

Richmond - Riewoldt 3 Rioli 2 Martin 2 Caddy 2

Crows of 97 won against all the best sides that year come September. But the last two times, they did it on the MCG. Adelaide was a force that quite simply, were irrepressible.
Richmond actually had a pretty good record against the B2B Crows of that era, which is amazing given that we were coached by Jeff Gieschen. There was the 'pathetic Pitman' game, and then on another occasion Blight was so pissed at being beaten by Richmond at Football Park that he stopped watching the game and left the coaching box early.

Anyhow it's virtually impossible to compare premiership teams of different eras, and these two seem fairly evenly matched.

Richmond actually had a pretty good record against the B2B Crows of that era, which is amazing given that we were coached by Jeff Gieschen. There was the 'pathetic Pitman' game, and then on another occasion Blight was so pissed at being beaten by Richmond at Football Park that he stopped watching the game and left the coaching box early.

Anyhow it's virtually impossible to compare premiership teams of different eras, and these two seem fairly evenly matched.
Didn’t you go 11-0 at home one year and 1-10 away. That 1 win. Footy park vs Adelaide?

In response to op
Taking the premiership teams into account, probably Richmond by a few goals

But if we included injured players (ricciuto and modra). Adelaide by a few goals.

Adelaide start to run away in the 3rd quarter LOL

I stopped reading from that point on ... nice troll though OP :thumbsu:

Adelaide 1997 wouldnt even beat Adelaide 2017, the fitness levels and the amount of running players do today compared to 20 years ago they would have been run off their feet and pushing s**t up hill to keep up.

If it was simply a time machine game then the Tigers would tear Adelaide apart through pressure and fitness. The 97 era had little pressure applied, and much worse fitness.

If Adelaide could prepare using modern techniques for a year, then a great match up. But I suspect that the Tigers would still win because they were built over years for that high pressure relentless game style. And Adelaide wasn't. Comparing across times is so difficult.

Richmond beat us in round 2 at MCG. We thrashed them by 100 points at Footy Park

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1997/011419970726.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who cares. Adelaide won in 97 and Tiges won in 2017. Both were great teams and require no validation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am always in awe that you can start threads with such long OPs and not in all that time typing stop yourself.

Perhaps you could make this a series. Could the Swans of 2006 do what the Swans of 2016 couldn't do?

Saints of 66 do what the Saints of 09/10/10 couldn't?

Could the Cats of 07 and 09 and 11 do what the Cats of 08 couldn't? That's the real question here.

I also think the OP wants to start a tiger/crow shitfight therefore trying to validate a tigers posters ugly winner stuff again. Piss poor troll thread which many of us see through. Maybe I should start up a who would win thread between the hawks and cats - who was better, hawks '89 or cats 09? Be nice if the cats supporters still didn't have a chip on their shoulder and move on, but apparently not.

Richmond of 2017 were very good defensively no doubt about that but I'm sure the 1997 Adelaide would give it their best. 50/50.

I also think the OP wants to start a tiger/crow shitfight therefore trying to validate a tigers posters ugly winner stuff again. Piss poor troll thread which many of us see through. Maybe I should start up a who would win thread between the hawks and cats - who was better, hawks '89 or cats 09? Be nice if the cats supporters still didn't have a chip on their shoulder and move on, but apparently not.

I think on some level they recognise that their era has passed, and much as they can use their home ground advantage to delude themselves, it'll probably never return. So they compensate by trying to drag down supporters of a club that is both on the rise and has a strong future ahead, because it reminds them of everything they're not.

If it was simply a time machine game then the Tigers would tear Adelaide apart through pressure and fitness. The 97 era had little pressure applied, and much worse fitness.

If Adelaide could prepare using modern techniques for a year, then a great match up. But I suspect that the Tigers would still win because they were built over years for that high pressure relentless game style. And Adelaide wasn't. Comparing across times is so difficult.

You make it seem like athletes in the late 90's were light years behind what they are today.
What would bamboozle Adelaide would be the manic forward pressure of the Richmond smalls.
I also don't believe Adelaide would have a suitable match up for Riewoldt. Shaun Rehn was a brilliant intercept mark for a ruckman. Probably the best of his time as he constantly dropped back into the forwards leading space. But Riewoldt (like his cousin), has exceptional aerobic capacity for a relatively tall person so he would eventually find plenty of space to receive the ball.

The midfield battle would be tantalizing. Edwards, McLeod, Johnson, Goodwin, Bickley vs Edwards, Cotchin, Martin, Grigg, Prestia

Last edited:
Richmond actually had a pretty good record against the B2B Crows of that era, which is amazing given that we were coached by Jeff Gieschen.
What was with him?

Coached the 2's to a flag and had a 52% record as Senior coach.

Doesn't scream horrible to me?

You make it seem like athletes in the late 90's were light years behind what they are today.
What would bamboozle Adelaide would be the manic forward pressure of the Richmond smalls. T

Yes. But that pressure is based on superb repeat sprint fitness. No point applying that pressure if you can't keep it up all game. It's not that today's footballers are some sort of gods comparatively. Just that preparation is better nowadays.

The pressure the tigers would bring would undo the Crows. I'm not sure though that the individual Crows players are any lower standard than the 2017 Tigers. Some amazing players in that Crows team.

What was with him?

Coached the 2's to a flag and had a 52% record as Senior coach.

Doesn't scream horrible to me?
I just think Richmond squandered what was the nucleus of a team that should have played more finals during the mid-late-90's. Gieschen and Walls had plenty to work with ... Richo, Wayne Campbell, Matty Knights, Joel Bowden, Darren Gasper, the Kellaway bros., Matty Rogers, Nick Daffy, Benny Gale, etc. Probably should have been a 6th-8th side (rather than 9th ... cue the jokes -12th).

I just think Richmond squandered what was the nucleus of a team that should have played more finals during the mid-late-90's. Gieschen and Walls had plenty to work with ... Richo, Wayne Campbell, Matty Knights, Joel Bowden, Darren Gasper, the Kellaway bros., Matty Rogers, Nick Daffy, Benny Gale, etc. Probably should have been a 6th-8th side (rather than 9th ... cue the jokes -12th).
Finished 9th 4 times between 94 and 2001 should've made more finals than they did during those years

Back