Best 22 2019

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
While I realise that it's not simply a case of replacing a departing player with a similar player (and especially because Leon tends to select the best players and work out positions afterwards), Shiel's departure surely opens up a spot for an inside/outside midfielder to some extent. Taranto could specifically fill the role, in which case it would shift slightly to a midfielder/forward - but largely the same players would be in the mix for both roles (not really being that different). So, both Bonar and Shipley from last year's draft crop, and Hately, Caldwell & O'Halloran from this year's certainly have something to focus on during their pre-season preparation. Caldwell for mine is the closest like-for-like replacement for Shiel, so if he is injury free and can show his best at training, he could certainly grab a spot early. If so, you'd think he'd get rested at some point due to his U18 injury history, so there would certainly be chances for others. Bonar, if he can get his tank up a bit, is a big chance I think for that forward/midfield role - could be devastating bursting out of centre clearances - and showed in 2018 that he can take a good grab forward. Hately a solid chance - probably not so much x-factor but a more solid (and durable) player - to get that early nod. We do really need one or two of these guys to really show something in 2019 to drive the team forward rather than stagnate (which would see us drift backwards).
Caldwell needs to build his tank significantly. Hately will get a game before Caldwell.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Yes a lot to happen until we have an idea of the teams make up for rd 1 but I see Williams and Kennedy as HBFers then Whitfield and Tomlinson as wingers with Kelly and Deledio the others likely to feature with significant game time on the outside from my best 22. Several others will be inline for time on the wings but if any of those players above are moved around then opportunities will present
I think Taranto will rotate between forward and playing around the ball but primarily as a mid, Kelly similar but maybe more outside time
Taranto will play on ball.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
If Hateley stays fit I can see him playing more than 15 games next year.

Hes probably a better genuine mid than say Bonar. Although Bonar showed at times to have some star attributes and was coming from a bit further back with injury so he could really blossom next year.

But Hatleys a genuine onballer ready to go in there

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Hello, I just came to ask who you think will be your number 1 ruck this year?
Mummy is suspended for the first two rounds. Dawson Simpson short odds for those. Probably Mummy after that. Matt Flynn probably plays ruck/forward at some stage through the year. Can't see us playing Mummy and Dawson together.

Mummy is suspended for the first two rounds. Dawson Simpson short odds for those. Probably Mummy after that. Matt Flynn probably plays ruck/forward at some stage through the year. Can't see us playing Mummy and Dawson together.
It's a conundrum I agree, even fit I don't see Mummy playing 21 rounds.
Simpson #1 with mummy coming in and out and Flynn bobbing up occasionally I suspect

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Could well hapoen that way. I like Dawson but do you think his lack of mobility might mean we have to use Tommo or possibly Flynn to defend guys like Gawn, Grundy and Vardy around the ground?

I guess Vardy will more predictably just go forward and the backs can maybe re-shuffle but Gawn and Grundy can pop up anywhere around the ground.

Mummy is very good at putting work into his opposite number and wearing them down, assuming he still has it.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Could well hapoen that way. I like Dawson but do you think his lack of mobility might mean we have to use Tommo or possibly Flynn to defend guys like Gawn, Grundy and Vardy around the ground?

I guess Vardy will more predictably just go forward and the backs can maybe re-shuffle but Gawn and Grundy can pop up anywhere around the ground.

Mummy is very good at putting work into his opposite number and wearing them down, assuming he still has it.
Mummy apparently has a hamstring strain which occurred just before the summer break.... not a good start and maybe a premonition into how many games we will get out of him

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Mummy apparently has a hamstring strain which occurred just before the summer break.... not a good start and maybe a premonition into how many games we will get out of him
Yeah saw that article 5 mins ago. Trying not to stress this far out from the start. I hope the reason we didn't trade in rucks in trade week is because we thought Dawson and Matt Flynn were good to go. Not because we couldn't get one.

I'm thinking we wouldn't have ever banked on him playing more than 15, if the issue is resolved and he is fit for round 3 we should be gold

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Kennedy Davis Haynes
Shaw Taylor Williams
Kelly Cogs Whitfield
Greene Himmelberg Deledio
Langdon Cameron Barrells
Simpson Ward Hopper

Taranto Tomlinson Buntine Hately

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Most people have the same 19 players and it is those last spots between Corr/Taylor, and 2 bench players and still plenty of training sessions left before the season starts but my thoughts are that we will be unlikely to see any 1st year players in the first few rounds and then likely only 1 at a time unless one of them has the fitness for more than 70% game time. I can see Perryman, Cumming and Bonar with a strong preseason coming into strong consideration for the 22 after the JLT, possibly Daniels but I think as he does not have the positional flexibility it will be harder for him to break into the 22 and maybe in the second half of the season if Langdon spends some time on a wing he could come in and also later on in the season I think fast smalls will have more impact (Tired legs in a lot of players more the older ones

Kennedy Davis Haynes
Shaw Taylor Williams
Kelly Cogs Whitfield
Greene Himmelberg Deledio
Langdon Cameron Barrells
Simpson Ward Hopper

Taranto Tomlinson Buntine Hately

Barrells is Brent Daniels?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Most people have the same 19 players and it is those last spots between Corr/Taylor, and 2 bench players and still plenty of training sessions left before the season starts but my thoughts are that we will be unlikely to see any 1st year players in the first few rounds and then likely only 1 at a time unless one of them has the fitness for more than 70% game time. I can see Perryman, Cumming and Bonar with a strong preseason coming into strong consideration for the 22 after the JLT, possibly Daniels but I think as he does not have the positional flexibility it will be harder for him to break into the 22 and maybe in the second half of the season if Langdon spends some time on a wing he could come in and also later on in the season I think fast smalls will have more impact (Tired legs in a lot of players more the older ones

Barrells is Brent Daniels?
Yep

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Forget the 'Splash Brothers', meet the 'Dash Brothers' - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-13/forget-the-splash-brothers-meet-the-dash-brothers

Hard to know where this belongs. Interesting points for me:-

1. Lachue Whitfield playedwuthamenuscys tear from round 10 last year.

2. His desire to find a midfield spot might limit his time with us. Hopefully not.

3. I dont think we can fit William's and Whitfield into the back 7 with Heater and Kennedy there. Kennedy could play wing, but neither are really one on one defenders.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Forget the 'Splash Brothers', meet the 'Dash Brothers' - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-13/forget-the-splash-brothers-meet-the-dash-brothers

Hard to know where this belongs. Interesting points for me:-

1. Lachue Whitfield playedwuthamenuscys tear from round 10 last year.

2. His desire to find a midfield spot might limit his time with us. Hopefully not.

3. I dont think we can fit William's and Whitfield into the back 7 with Heater and Kennedy there. Kennedy could play wing, but neither are really one on one defenders.

The injury is interesting and pretty amazing that he played on through the season but also to not really have a drop off during that time, i see Whitfield's best position on the wing but also rotating to half back with his kicking and run a good option
I think Kennedy should be developed into a full time defender as I think that is his best position with his experience and also the club has lots of options for the wing and I was surprised with Langdon's performance in the 2k and maybe he will spend more time around the midfield this season

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The injury is interesting and pretty amazing that he played on through the season but also to not really have a drop off during that time, i see Whitfield's best position on the wing but also rotating to half back with his kicking and run a good option
I think Kennedy should be developed into a full time defender as I think that is his best position with his experience and also the club has lots of options for the wing and I was surprised with Langdon's performance in the 2k and maybe he will spend more time around the midfield this season
I agree with Kennedy as a defender, basically because he's tough one on one. He has played wing though, and someone will have to was my thought.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Langdon’s field kicking isn’t good enough to play in the midfield.

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey guys was just wondering who do u expect to take the kick-ins this year?

Shaw/Williams/Whitfield?

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Hey guys was just wondering who do u expect to take the kick-ins this year?

Shaw/Williams/Whitfield?

Definitely those three and depending on who is around the ball but I would see Kennedy as an option and depending on where and when he plays Finlayson could be an option if he has learnt from the Tasmania trip last year

Back