Tom Hawkins Vs Tom Lynch (Richmond)

Who would you rather have

• Tom Hawkins

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Tom Lynch

Votes: 41 63.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I don't think I'd want either considering the age and cost of both players - neither of which are particularly outstanding players to boot.

However, if having to make a choice, I would take Lynch simply because he was a few years younger than Hawkins.

Having said that, that is not an endorsement of Lynch as a player - Hawkins far, FAR out performs him in this regard.

If Hawkins was 26, this would be an absurdly easy decision.

Last edited:
Holy moly, I had no idea Lynch was 27. He's not that good for 27. Am I alone on that?
And to think premiership players have taken cuts to accommodate Lynch....

And to think premiership players have taken cuts to accommodate Lynch....

i dont reckon cotchin, martin, jack & rance are going to need social security any time soon - dont stress too much

the tigers premiership core taking pay cuts to bring in another A grader is a pretty positive sign

This thread seems to be all about reverse psychology - ask posters to compare an apple with an orange, or a forward nearing the end of his career with one supposedly in his prime, just to flatter the one nearing his prime. I am amazed this thread is on its third page. I said it earlier and Coaster2012 touched on this a few posts earlier. Lynch should be compared to someone of his vintage, e.g. Jack Darling

outside of Cameron and Darling there isnt much to compare him too so its natural it turns towards the older stars; Buddy, Hawkins, Kennedy

A lot of average years for a supposed Elite player. He's really only had 1 good year and that was the year Kennedy and Franklin steam rolled the comp. I know the argument will be, but he had injuriesssss. Oh great, so he's injury prone too. Another big tick for him.

Kennedy and Franklin are great players but 30 + yrs old

Lynch was 23/24 that season and 4th in goals, 1st in contested marks total and average. Not sure what else you expect him to do in a pretty rubbish gold coast franchise

Last edited:
Tom Lynch - 26yr 2mth 31 Oct 1992

Not active many guys kicked more goals than him

if

There are 22 current players that have kicked more goals than him. There are 12 that average more goals than him, 3 of which are actually younger. I don't get the hype.

There are 22 current players that have kicked more goals than him. There are 12 that average more goals than him, 3 of which are actually younger. I don't get the hype.

He was a free agent, so I don't begrudge Richmond recruiting him - particularly because their chances of winning a flag post-2019 are slim.

But yeah otherwise I agree, this isn't Lance Franklin.

i dont reckon cotchin, martin, jack & rance are going to need social security any time soon - dont stress too much

the tigers premiership core taking pay cuts to bring in another A grader is a pretty positive sign

outside of Cameron and Darling there isnt much to compare him too so its natural it turns towards the older stars; Buddy, Hawkins, Kennedy

Kennedy and Franklin are great players but 30 + yrs old

Lynch was 23/24 that season and 4th in goals, 1st in contested marks total and average. Not sure what else you expect him to do in a pretty rubbish gold coast franchise

Ablett won a brownlow at GC. Brown kicked over 60 goals in 2017 and NM were bottom 4. Cameron kicked over 60 goals in 2013 when GWS finished dead last.

The point is, his actual output hasn't been great over his career, not top 10 anyway. He's still a fine player, but he's talked about as if he is some top 2-3 elite player. Which he is clearly not. You compare him to players similar in age and position i.e Cameron and Darling, and both of those players have produced more, putting him the worst of the three. Some posters have even referred to him as the best forward in the competition, when isn't even close.

Lynch is top 20 active goals - LeCras, Waite, Cyril hung up the boots

Ablett won a brownlow at GC. Brown kicked over 60 goals in 2017 and NM were bottom 4. Cameron kicked over 60 goals in 2013 when GWS finished dead last.

The point is, his actual output hasn't been great over his career, not top 10 anyway. He's still a fine player, but he's talked about as if he is some top 2-3 elite player. Which he is clearly not. You compare him to players similar in age and position i.e Cameron and Darling, and both of those players have produced more, putting him the worst of the three. Some posters have even referred to him as the best forward in the competition, when isn't even close.

I dont think anyone is denying the like of J Cameron are top quality talents

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except we ain't talking about the last few years where talking over the first 8 years of their careers, but you continue melting like a typical handbagger
Ummmm you do realise that Hawkins has a few injuries concerns in his early years and almost retired

So yes I was talking about their early years.

Except we ain't talking about the last few years where talking over the first 8 years of their careers, but you continue melting like a typical handbagger

So in other words you're comparing a stage of Hawkins career where he was the 3rd or 4th option as a key forward against a bloke who was the number 1 forward when he first started. Seems fair.

Lynch is top 20 active goals - LeCras, Waite, Cyril hung up the boots

Regardless, why is a guy who's just scraping into the top 20 so applauded?

Cause its pretty good to be top20 at 25 years old.

In regards to averages, he is going at about the same goal per game as Roughead, which isnt too shabby - unlike Hawkins and Roughy he hasn't had the privilege of such quality team mates either up until now

Cause its pretty good to be top20 at 25 years old.

In regards to averages, he is going at about the same goal per game as Roughead, which isnt too shabby - unlike Hawkins and Roughy he hasn't had the privilege of such quality team mates either up until now
I went to a Gold Coast game this year. Lynch was honestly just unreal, he seemed to be out there playing 1v22. Even with terrible I50 delivery, he was taking huge contested marks and providing really good leads. The only reason he isn't in the conversation for the best forward in the AFL is because he hasn't had the backing of a good team behind him.

Just look at the top forwards, who have won 8 out of the last 10 Colemans - Kennedy (West Coast for majority of career), Franklin (Hawks, Sydney), Riewoldt (Richmond). All three have played for quality sides (Richmond have been up and down, but usually relatively competitive even when they didn't make finals). I have no doubts that Lynch will look better joining a better side

Lynch was only 25 last season, which is all you can judge him on. Injured for 2 years, and at 23 was AA in a poor team. That makes him a good footballer and about right for a big forward as they usually take a few years to mature.

I was rapt we chose Beams over Lynch.

Really?

Firstly, you didn't "choose", he chose to come to Richmond, if you had a choice between the two, Buckley would have Lynch every day of the week.

Secondly, you were "rapt" your team missed out on a potentially brilliant CHF which is clear deficiency of the team, so you could get ANOTHER midfielder?

Pies supporters are lucky you aren't their list manager.

Really?

Firstly, you didn't "choose", he chose to come to Richmond, if you had a choice between the two, Buckley would have Lynch every day of the week.

Secondly, you were "rapt" your team missed out on a potentially brilliant CHF which is clear deficiency of the team, so you could get ANOTHER midfielder?

Pies supporters are lucky you aren't their list manager.
You're taking line!

Back