Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Which H&A game from the 08-15 era comes quickest to mind when you think of us at our absolute best? Which game saw us at our sublime, unstoppable best?
Someone mentioned the ‘Harlem Globetrotters’ game against Collingwood in ‘12 the other day. And yes, that was indeed a ripper. I was there.
But for me, it’s the first half and a bit of this game, against the previous year’s grand finalists, that displays our very best. Freo could have had 5 extra blokes on the field that night and they wouldn’t have touched us.

What about you?

Which H&A game from the 08-15 era comes quickest to mind when you think of us at our absolute best? Which game saw us at our sublime, unstoppable best?
Someone mentioned the ‘Harlem Globetrotters’ game against Collingwood in ‘12 the other day. And yes, that was indeed a ripper. I was there.
But for me, it’s the first half and a bit of this game, against the previous year’s grand finalists, that displays our very best. Freo could have had 5 extra blokes on the field that night and they wouldn’t have touched us.

What about you?
That was the end to end goal in the first quarter from memory. What a night.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rd 12, 1999. St Kilda vs Hawthorn at Waverley. Hawks come back to win after trailing by 63 points.

For those of you too young or just slipped from memory.

I was there Mr. P. What a game.

Apart from the amazing comeback... It was really, really cold at Waverley that day.

Rd 12, 1999. St Kilda vs Hawthorn at Waverley. Hawks come back to win after trailing by 63 points.

For those of you too young or just slipped from memory.
Yep, I was there. At half time I said to my young daughter that I thought we would win, and I meant it. There was a vibe. We were only about ten goals down at that stage, from memory.

That being said, I agree with the OP that the best H&A game I've seen in this era was the Freo match in '14. Sublime.

I was there Mr. P. What a game.

Apart from the amazing comeback... It was really, really cold at Waverley that day.
I was working in Darwin at that time and was at work. Heard that we were down by heaps so didn't pay too much attention (was working). As I was parking the car at home remembered the game was on so turned the radio to it to check the score. Just sat in the car for the last five minutes of play absolutely gobsmacked!

And it was warm that day in Darwin ;)

Not at our best, but the draw against St Kilda is the one that sticks in my brain. The interchange infringement given whilst Cyril was lining up for goal and then Big Boy kicking the goal to draw is the stuff of nightmares. I’ll never forget Campbell Browns reaction on the bench demonstrating the free kick by ripping the bandage off his head and throwing it in disgust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah the 2015 Swans game at ANZ was a ripper. Suckers kicked one from 70 and Joey Kennedy is on the bench shaking his head in disbelief

Rd 3 2013 vs pies. Absolute magic happened after 20 mins into the 2nd qtr that day . Pies were up by four goals and then a bloke called Luke Hodge went mental!!!! Went into the guts and tore the pies midfield a new one, two monster torps from outside 50 in the wet conditions got us back in the game so much so that the pies got Intimitated to the point where they just sat around and watch us bang 20 goals in 70 minutes of sublime footy!! Then there’s Buddy’s Hurdle!!!
Talk about flexing muscle!

Rd 3 2013 vs pies. Absolute magic happened after 20 mins into the 2nd qtr that day . Pies were up by four goals and then a bloke called Luke Hodge went mental!!!! Went into the guts and tore the pies midfield a new one, two monster torps from outside 50 in the wet conditions got us back in the game so much so that the pies got Intimitated to the point where they just sat around and watch us bang 20 goals in 70 minutes of sublime footy!! Then there’s Buddy’s Hurdle!!!
Talk about flexing muscle!
Just watched the highlights of that game, magnificent!

2008 Round 12 v Adelaide @ AAMI. Saturday night game where Hodge kicked the winner. Not our best game, but a real scrap for four quarters, at a venue where we had not beaten the Crows in fourteen years. That was the night I started to believe that maybe, just maybe, the Geelong march to back-to-back premierships wasn't quite the foregone conclusion that everyone was hyping it up to be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back