Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TheTigergram

Draftee
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Hello! I'm planning on heading to an Interstate game this year.
If any of you fellow Tigers have been in the past, which stadium and or city was the best to travel to?
Right now, my primary options are GWS @ Spotless in Round 3, Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval in Round 4, and Gold Coast @ Metricon Stadium in Round 16.
Thank you.

Hello! I'm planning on heading to an Interstate game this year.
If any of you fellow Tigers have been in the past, which stadium and or city was the best to travel to?
Right now, my primary options are GWS @ Spotless in Round 3, Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval in Round 4, and Gold Coast @ Metricon Stadium in Round 16.
Thank you.

I have been to both Metricon and Adelaide oval and both are fantastic grounds to watch a game at.

If you want to experience a great atmosphere I would suggest going to Adelaide oval, as it is likley to be a full house and it gets very loud in there.

Voted for Metricon because I enjoy time on the Gold Coast more than Adelaide.

If you go to Metricon I reckon you are almost better off sitting level 2 or 3. I have found that sitting on Level 1 the game kind of gets lost when the ball is on the other side of the ground, almost like it slants away.

TheTigergram

Draftee
Dec 2, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I have been to both Metricon and Adelaide oval and both are fantastic grounds to watch a game at.

If you want to experience a great atmosphere I would suggest going to Adelaide oval, as it is likley to be a full house and it gets very loud in there.

Voted for Metricon because I enjoy time on the Gold Coast more than Adelaide.

If you go to Metricon I reckon you are almost better off sitting level 2 or 3. I have found that sitting on Level 1 the game kind of gets lost when the ball is on the other side of the ground, almost like it slants away.
Thank you so much, I'd say right now i'm leaning towards Round 4 in Adelaide.

Thank you so much, I'd say right now i'm leaning towards Round 4 in Adelaide.

no worries at all!

depending on where you stay in Adelaide it can be a nice walk to the ground as well, passing through Rundell Mall etc.

sante might be able to give more of an idea of what else you can do in Adelaide near the ground :)

Welcome to BigFooty by the way, glad to have another Tiger on board!

Bobsleder

Team Captain
Nov 1, 2008
far away
AFL Club
Richmond
I try to go interstate each year to a different ground.
Adelaide oval is a great experience, traditional atmosphere, walk to the ground is good. I’ve seen both a port game and crows game, i’d Give the port experience the nod over the crows.
If you want to hear the players talking on the ground, go to spotless. You feel like you are on the ground there (same as Metricon). GWS are a quality team to watch.
SCG is good for a game as well, easy to get to the ground and Sydney always put on a good show.
Don’t discount the Gabba, easy to get to and the lions are a team on the up.
I’d put Metricon on the bottom of the list, it’s a bit of a journey to the ground, lacks atmosphere with a poor performing home team.
Yet to make it to Perth, but will have to get there soon, looks great.
MCG is still the best though.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Adelaide oval is a great experience, traditional atmosphere, walk to the ground is good. I’ve seen both a port game and crows game, i’d Give the port experience the nod over the crows.
If you want to hear the players talking on the ground, go to spotless. You feel like you are on the ground there (same as Metricon). GWS are a quality team to watch.
SCG is good for a game as well, easy to get to the ground and Sydney always put on a good show.
I’d put Metricon on the bottom of the list, it’s a bit of a journey to the ground, lacks atmosphere with a poor performing home team.
SA & WA stadium have parochial crowds. (Never been) I have been to Spotless, Metricon & Gabba. Don't expect the atmosphere of a game in Victoria, but enjoy the other attractions of the places you travel to. The Qld grounds are driving distance for me so I never stay in Brizzy. I think I saw the tiges vs the giants in their first year at western Sydney. It bucketed down. & there was a Comicon going on nearby so weird looking dressed up types. Not like us normal tribal footy fans, dressing up in colours

Anyone made it over to Optus yet?
Does it meet the hype?

Yes. Went to Optus last year. Great venue. Craft brewery just down from it is excellent pregame.

Adelaide is my fave, due to proximity to CBD and venue quality.

Spotless ok, but can be a challenge transport wise. Have been there by boat, bus and train. Still haven’t found a truly efficient way.

Gabba is a great seeing ground for footy.

Blundstone is freezing.

Cairns has a weird liquor licence.

TIO is like a Stadium in rural India.

Haere Ra

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have never been to Adelaide Oval, only AAMI, but crowds very parochial - imagine Rich v Carl with only a small section of Richmond supporters.

Metricon is like going to Carlton's Optus Oval with a re-build going on - just feels a bit makeshift. This season the Suns will be even more s**t - have been to a Tiges game there with barely 10,000 and easily 8000 were Tiges supporters. Won't be any better this season I'm tipping - huge PASS, though being a Qlder I will be there. Check out the Sth Qld Supporters Club for a games package event

WA's Optus Stadium is amazing for night games - the Tiges game should be amazing as well. That's where I would go if I could.

Spotless is a poor man's Metricon - but at least the game will be worth seeing.

Love the Gabba (not as much as the MCG), my second fave ground - take your footy too. Hopefully 2020 you can choose this venue. As someone else said the Lions are likely to be on the up too- be very competitive.

Have a great trip whichever you choose.

Last edited:

Dunger

Premiership Player
Nov 28, 2008
-37.822165, 144.988143
AFL Club
Richmond
Spotless has s**t transport options even with a train station nearby...and a large residential building that's about to topple over. Once you're in spotless it is a good venue.

Metricon was a decent bus trip but not a bad venue, feels like spotless but slightly different

Adelaide oval goes alright, free public transport to the cbd and a nice walk to the oval.

Apr 10, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
As long its a night game, the venue is A class, but if we have a 2:40pm game on a sunny day they stick you behind the goals in the blaring sun and you get scorched.
We had a Day game against the eagles this year and my ticket (through my membership) was in the shade all game

Was different this year as they seemed to have us in a few different bays around the ground, where as at Subi is was all together behind the goals getting scorched

Back to the OP - Optus, AO and SCG are the next best grounds behind the G IMO

Yet to make the Gold Coast and doubt I will prior to them folding...

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
We had a Day game against the eagles this year and my ticket (through my membership) was in the shade all game

Was different this year as they seemed to have us in a few different bays around the ground, where as at Subi is was all together behind the goals getting scorched

Back to the OP - Optus, AO and SCG are the next best grounds behind the G IMO

Yet to make the Gold Coast and doubt I will prior to them folding...

You got lucky, down our end it was shithouse and with the sun right in your eyes its difficult to see down the other end. The venue was made for night events, day time events suck balls. I've been to 4 cricket events here and 4 different locations, I'm not impressed.

The best thing about it is the ability to watch the game from the bar, getting food is an absolute joke too.

Apr 10, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
You got lucky, down our end it was shithouse and with the sun right in your eyes its difficult to see down the other end. The venue was made for night events, day time events suck balls. I've been to 4 cricket events here and 4 different locations, I'm not impressed.

The best thing about it is the ability to watch the game from the bar, getting food is an absolute joke too.

I was at the ODI and the first 3 days of the test and enjoyed the new venue - each to their own I suppose!

Only been to Metricon and Spotless myself.

I liked both, yeah the atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired, but I thought the stadiums themselves were great.

The bus trip out to Metricon is a fair one but when the bus trip is full of Richmond supporters I guess it can be forgiven.

I’ll vote for Metricon, but mainly because the Gold Coast is a great escape from a cold, wet miserable Melbourne winter.

I'll add a vote for Adelaide. Bloody loved the game I saw there. Started in a stand and ended up on the hill. Great atmosphere. And there's something special about watching footy while standing on grass.

Gold Coast - maybe. Some day.

Honestly, I can't see myself trying to get to Homebush. I reckon Shepparton (for the pre-season game) would be easier to get to on public transport. And on that, I gotta say I bloody love the regional games in the pre-season!

My Tiger travel plans for this year are to get to the new Perth Stadium for the Freo game, finances permitting. Loved the fierce, parochial local crowd at the old Subi, many years ago. Sounds like I should take a hat and SPF50+.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
Optus is great for sure, it’s a busy joint but great beer and food and atmosphere.

Adelaide Oval is second best.

Both sets of supporters from all four clubs are spoilt brats though so expect to hear a lot of whinging if only 99.5% goes their way

Both sets of supporters from all four clubs are spoilt brats though so expect to hear a lot of whinging if only 99.5% goes their way

Yeah, and we are so forgiving at the 'G' tooo_O;)

I haven't been to the new Perth stadium yet.

Spotless: Nice ground to watch the footy from. GWS crowd is getting much more passionate now. Pretty easy to get to despite what you may hear. Novotel nearby is a good place to have a beer and there are some good pubs in Lidcombe where you catch the sprinter train to Olympic Park. I love going there.

Metricon: Getting there and back to Surfers is a huge pain in the arse. The buses are free and are apparantely pretty good, but I just Uber it for about $20. Only the golf club nearby to have a drink pregame and it gets absolutely packed. Surreal experience with 20,000 people there and about 15,000 Richmond supporters. Feels like a home game. we have another day game there and it can get pretty warm sitting in the outer.

Adelaide Oval: depends who we are playing. I find the Crows crowd to be insufferable. Port crowd on the other hand are fantastic. Nice walk from the CBD to the ground. Fantastic viewing ground.

Funnily enough the Gabba is my favourite.

Back