desie

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2004
Gumnut Cottage
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Arsenal, GWS Giants
Of course there is a large element of projection here. It's same reason the club made a push into the Western suburbs, the Tassie thing. Allocating current resources for projected benefit down the line has been a plank of out business model since Friday night football. Probably earlier.
I think it's largely this, it's the same principle the AFL have used in their investment into GWS and Gold Coast, although no doubt the female participation aspect is helpful when pitching to Government for infrastructure funding in particular.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I question anyone who exhibits blind illogical observance to a creed*. You, my comrade, are an ideologue. You unflinchingly buy in to the whole box and dice.

*except the NMFC (well, at least the actual football part of it)
Sigh. I give up snake.

It is pointless engaging with someone who refuses to discuss in good faith.

Dec 31, 2015
Santiago, Chile
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Current growth in Aussie rules junior player numbers is all down to females playing. Anyone who can’t see the benefits in building an elite Women’s comp for these girls to aspire too is a sexist twat.

I tend not to agree with kangatime all that often, but this post is spot on.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Sigh. I give up snake.

It is pointless engaging with someone who refuses to discuss in good faith.

"Good faith" doesn't include starting off with stupid characterisations:

Don’t be like the LNP who think that women are either at the sink, or waiting for you to pick them up in Hong Kong.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Anyone who can’t see the benefits in building an elite Women’s comp for these girls to aspire too is a sexist twat.

strawman.png

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
"Good faith" doesn't include starting off with stupid characterisations:
Really? That is your problem? A light hearted comment on the current state of conservative politics and saying that is not a good road to travel?

That is what set you off?

Oh dear. Now had I said ‘stop being a sexist whining Pauline Hanson lite supporter’, you would have a point.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Personally I think the AFLW is a longterm plan, and a good one in theory. AFL House is as usual though is ******* it up as much as they can by talking the talk but then tiptoeing off when it's time to walk the walk so they can compete in a sprint for the abominable AFLX.

I partially agree with some of your points about political motivations, but at the end of the day I think that 2 decades from now the AFL in general will be better off and healthier for having the AFLW. A lot of the political aspects are just being used as a marketing tool I think (not all, of course), and I suspect that part of the ordeal that is the teething problems of a new industry will subside over time. Right now there is almost no product, so it 'needs' marketing by other means than the spectacle itself. 5 years, then 10 years, then 20 years from now the product will be much much better, as the quality of the rosters gradually increases along with the pool of new players that have actually grown up playing. I don't think it will ever be as good as the male sport, but I think it could be interesting nonetheless, especially as the tactics and strategies change (as they have to) to fit female biology better.
Exactly this.

Of course it is politics. Politics and money. If the AFL think they can make a buck they'll do it and cause trouble in it. Nothing wrong with that, capitalism etc. Doesn't also mean people can't benefit from it. There are countless women that enjoy playing football so it's good seeing it acknowledged in a National competition. It will inspire future generations and that's great. I'm a long time MMA fan (Shamrock and Gracie days) and I remember the outrage when MMA purists heard that woman would be competing. Dana White himself said "never going to happen". It gets a bit ridiculous when Ronda Rousey goes on a tear and Dana suggests she could knock out Floyd Mayweather in boxing or that she could fight in the men's competition. She dominated because most females coming in came from a wrestling background or a purely standing background - played right into her judo background. Gradually WMMA has improved, fighters are getting better, more well-rounded. I could watch fighters like Joanna Jedrzejczyk or Valentina Shevchenko for days and thoroughly enjoy their technique and open workouts. AFLW will get to that level in the future...probably a long way off but it'll improve in every aspect. That's great.

The only issues are:

- Those with an agenda will start pointing out the wage discrepancy between genders (saw it recently with the women's soccer team). No they should not be paid the same. Maybe when the skill level comes up and they can fill stadiums. Until then let’s not.

- As soon as someone mentions the attractiveness of a female player the white knights will pounce. Yes they are here to play football but it should come as no surprise that Ashmore is the one that will be utilised most in North sponsorship videos/ads etc. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. Women have been saying the same thing about the Tarrant’s and other AFL spunks for years with no issue. If someone thinks an AFLW player is attractive, decides to perve for a bit, and then pays attention thinks "hey this isn't too bad, I'm going to watch AFLW next week!" - Well that's a win. I appreciate the female form and the beauty a woman posseses - man has done ever since Eve used her feminine wilds to convince Adam to eat the Apple in Eden. It's a good thing. It's also a good thing when female fans do it to male players (my mrs only watched North games because of Harper and Swallow - I don't care. I mean I'm better looking so I'm not jealous. I'm just happy she was watching North).

- Don't change the AFL and AFLW games so much that they are unrecognisable. Injuries will happen (ACL injuries will be frequent as we've already seen). Big hits will too. There can't be people sitting there saying "but they are women!" - I hear it in WMMA all the time. It's the way it is. The AFLW players would not want to hear people speaking on their behalf and suggesting they aren't tough and can't take hits - guaranteed they'd bounce back just as quick.

Play ball.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
As soon as someone mentions the attractiveness of a female player the white knights will pounce. Yes they are here to play football but it should come as no surprise that Ashmore is the one that will be utilised most in North sponsorship videos/ads etc. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. Women have been saying the same thing about the Tarrant’s and other AFL spunks for years with no issue. If someone thinks an AFLW player is attractive, decides to perve for a bit, and then pays attention thinks "hey this isn't too bad, I'm going to watch AFLW next week!" - Well that's a win. I appreciate the female form and the beauty a woman posseses - man has done ever since Eve used her feminine wilds to convince Adam to eat the Apple in Eden. It's a good thing. It's also a good thing when female fans do it to male players (my mrs only watched North games because of Harper and Swallow - I don't care. I mean I'm better looking so I'm not jealous. I'm just happy she was watching North).

Will the free ability to ridicule less attractive AFLW players for their looks a la Mick Martyn or Cameron Ling over the years be the ultimate sign that the female athletes have achieved parity?

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Exactly this.

Of course it is politics. Politics and money. If the AFL think they can make a buck they'll do it and cause trouble in it. Nothing wrong with that, capitalism etc. Doesn't also mean people can't benefit from it. There are countless women that enjoy playing football so it's good seeing it acknowledged in a National competition. It will inspire future generations and that's great. I'm a long time MMA fan (Shamrock and Gracie days) and I remember the outrage when MMA purists heard that woman would be competing. Dana White himself said "never going to happen". It gets a bit ridiculous when Ronda Rousey goes on a tear and Dana suggests she could knock out Floyd Mayweather in boxing or that she could fight in the men's competition. She dominated because most females coming in came from a wrestling background or a purely standing background - played right into her judo background. Gradually WMMA has improved, fighters are getting better, more well-rounded. I could watch fighters like Joanna Jedrzejczyk or Valentina Shevchenko for days and thoroughly enjoy their technique and open workouts. AFLW will get to that level in the future...probably a long way off but it'll improve in every aspect. That's great.

The only issues are:

- Those with an agenda will start pointing out the wage discrepancy between genders (saw it recently with the women's soccer team). No they should not be paid the same. Maybe when the skill level comes up and they can fill stadiums. Until then let’s not.

- As soon as someone mentions the attractiveness of a female player the white knights will pounce. Yes they are here to play football but it should come as no surprise that Ashmore is the one that will be utilised most in North sponsorship videos/ads etc. Again, there is nothing wrong with that. Women have been saying the same thing about the Tarrant’s and other AFL spunks for years with no issue. If someone thinks an AFLW player is attractive, decides to perve for a bit, and then pays attention thinks "hey this isn't too bad, I'm going to watch AFLW next week!" - Well that's a win. I appreciate the female form and the beauty a woman posseses - man has done ever since Eve used her feminine wilds to convince Adam to eat the Apple in Eden. It's a good thing. It's also a good thing when female fans do it to male players (my mrs only watched North games because of Harper and Swallow - I don't care. I mean I'm better looking so I'm not jealous. I'm just happy she was watching North).

- Don't change the AFL and AFLW games so much that they are unrecognisable. Injuries will happen (ACL injuries will be frequent as we've already seen). Big hits will too. There can't be people sitting there saying "but they are women!" - I hear it in WMMA all the time. It's the way it is. The AFLW players would not want to hear people speaking on their behalf and suggesting they aren't tough and can't take hits - guaranteed they'd bounce back just as quick.

Play ball.

Agree with that.

I would add though that the women’s cricket and soccer teams are worth more than either of the men’s teams if we go by results. If results are the metric, then the men should get bugger all.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Really? That is your problem? A light hearted comment on the current state of conservative politics and saying that is not a good road to travel?

That is what set you off?

Oh dear. Now had I said ‘stop being a sexist whining Pauline Hanson lite supporter’, you would have a point.

Just pointing out the sheer hypocrisy of your position. Off you go now knackers.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Exactly this.

I think it's about placating political subsidization, nothing more. There is no money in it.

The only issues are:

Guaranteed to happen. The books for the competition and club sides should be kept completely separate, and it should run & profit under it's own steam. The association with AFL clubs has already been the greatest leg up women's football has ever received..

You mean like women gawking at AFL players arses? If they want equality then they'll just have to HTFU.

Current growth in Aussie rules junior player numbers is all down to females playing. Anyone who can’t see the benefits in building an elite Women’s comp for these girls to aspire too is a sexist twat.
But who’s gonna work in the canteen on the weekends???

Back