Review Things you remember about 1999 Premiership Year

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember the awful, thick felt-ish "Roo Boys" scarves the club handed out just before the finals. They were shocking but I wish I still had mine!

I have mine

The white was faded when I got mine to a pale blue

It was rubbish...more a Bar runner than anything

PM if you are interested, as I will sell for $221,436.89

Mrs Marstermind and I went to the official club function - I think it was at the Crown Plaza or at least somewhere near there. We decided to get the premiership players to sign the menu and were doing well with only John Longmire and Scott Welsh to go (We didn't have Pagan and were discussing whether we just have the players or to include him too). It was a little awkward asking a couple of players who were with Jason McCartney - we only wanted the guys who played that day. He was in good spirits probably until then. Anyway, latish into the evening we got up for a dance - normally I wouldn't have but we'd only been going out for 6 weeks so I was still in the stage of doing things like dancing to Livin' La Vida Loca with her. When we got back to the table, the menu was gone!

Hopefully, if you are the person who took it, the last 20 years have been a hellish misery for you and staring at the almost completely signed menu has been the only source of joy in your horrible, pathetic life.

Peter Bell & Shanno Grant dominating.

Mckernan putting on a clinic

How many players are a Norm Smith Medallist, Brownlow Medallst, Rising Star and premiership player? None.

Nathan Buckley has all but a Premiership.
Greg Williams has all but a Rising Star (it didn't exist when he was eligible)
Dustin Martin has all but a Rising Star.
Simon Black has all but a Rising Star.
Adam Goodes has all but a Norm Smith.
Sam Mitchell has all but a Norm Smith.
Jimmy Bartel has all but a Rising Star
Chris Judd has all but a Rising Star
James Hird has all but a Rising Star

Buckley, Williams, Martin, Black, Goodes, Mitchell, Bartel, Hird and Judd all rightly are walk up Hall of Fame starts (Buckley, Hird and Williams are already there, Black becomes eligible this year, the others aren't eligible yet)

Corey McKernan is so so so unlucky. He has the two premierships (unlike Buckley, Martin and Judd) but was unlucky for a Brownlow, desperately unlucky for a Rising Star and would have been on the podium for two Norm Smiths (I've watched the 1996 Grand Final at least 20 times and, geez I love Arch, but...Corza...). He's been eligible to be Hall of Fame for 10 years but there is no push for him to be in and I'd guess he won't be for a long long time, if ever.

Our own club has Stevo, Arch, Duck and Schwatta in its Hall of Fame from that era. The AFL has Bell, Carey, Archer and Stevens. All of those guys deserve that status. But IF you were a two time premiership player, two time Norm Smith Medallist , a Rising Star and a Brownlow Medallist....... (But as Corey's ex-coach at the two clubs he played for would say - IF your aunty had balls...)

McKernan could be frustrating. He could be real ordinary at times, but he revolutionised ruck work. For those too young to remember him, imagine Gawn or Grundy with the capacity to kick 30-40 goals a season.

He was a jet.

Last edited:
How many players are a Norm Smith Medallist, Brownlow Medallst, Rising Star and premiership player? None.

Buckley, Williams, Martin, Black, Goodes, Mitchell, Bartel, Hird and Judd all rightly are walk up Hall of Fame starts (Buckley, Hird and Williams are already there, Black becomes eligible this year, the others aren't eligible yet)

Corey McKernan is so so so unlucky. He has the two premierships (unlike Buckley, Martin and Judd) but was unlucky for a Brownlow, desperately unlucky for a Rising Star and would have been on the podium for two Norm Smiths (I've watched the 1996 Grand Final at least 20 times and, geez I love Arch, but...Corza...). He's been eligible to be Hall of Fame for 10 years but there is no push for him to be in and I'd guess he won't be for a long long time, if ever.

Our own club has Stevo, Arch, Duck and Schwatta in its Hall of Fame from that era. The AFL has Bell, Carey, Archer and Stevens. All of those guys deserve that status. But IF you were a two time premiership player, two time Norm Smith Medallist , a Rising Star and a Brownlow Medallist....... (But as Corey's ex-coach at the two clubs he played for would say - IF your aunty had balls...)

McKernan could be frustrating. He could be real ordinary at times, but he revolutionised ruck work. For those too young to remember him, imagine Gawn or Grundy with the capacity to kick 30-40 goals a season.

He was a jet.

Well said

And didn’t he win a BF at Carlstink?

He was a jet.
Awesome post.

When McKernan was in full flight, he was the second best player in the comp. Not a bad effort considering the best player at the time also happens to be the G.O.A.T.

The AFL treated us like s**t with the presentation. I remember talking about it at the Club and they also complained at the time. Never happened again to any other team.

Look at what happens now...every winner player interviewed on ground, Coaches, families and you can watch it all on 7Mate

It’s going to be a great Premiership this year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon choking in the prelim...... AGAIN!!!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably my favourite non-NMFC game of all time (the first GF I ever saw live - 1989 - might challenge it). But given that over summer Foztel show it over and over and over again, I think I'm kind of over it.

The AFL treated us like s**t with the presentation. I remember talking about it at the Club and they also complained at the time. Never happened again to any other team.

I actually agree with you gokangas. I remember being really annoyed at how the whole presentation of the medals etc. was rushed through and the TV coverage was cut short for the News. Was that the year they started the GF an hour later than normal?

Reminiscing about the 90s has become my Happy Gilmore "Happy Place" these days. The team's positioning in the 90s was a perfect storm (coach, stars, list, club culture, general state of the game). I didn't realise that the party wouldn't last forever :( .

Although [REDACTED] was the best outright North side I've seen you don't get a cup for feelpinions so we'll always have the '99 flag to show we actually finished the century on top.

Remember hanging out overnight at the 'G for tickets. Mood was good among the masses after a fledgling Storm had just broken through for the NRL premiership.

Our seats at the GF were partially blocked by TV cameras. They didn't really create that much obstruction but a mate's mum raised the issue with the AFL and to their credit we got to have watched a North Melbourne premiership on Wayne Jackson's tab.

Game itself was more a relief than anything after that 'previous year'. Corey's 5 minutes of madness (in a good way) definitely sticks in the mind. Pike supplemented an already hard and cohesive back unit while Welsh, Abraham and Grant did the same up forward.

1996 probably had a magic about it which wasn't completely matched for me in 99. However to balance that view, by '99 I was a more experienced supporter. Like anything in life the 2nd experience of something is often calmer and less adrenalised than the 1st.

Some post-match memories in no particular order-
-Jason McCartney drunkenly leading the club song at the tennis centre function
-Trevor Marmalade as MC trying to make the crowd chant "kangaroos" instead of "North Melbourne" :mad:
-David King interviewing players at Arden Street the next day - quizzed Scott Welsh with "what this BS about you heading home?" and prompting a then very shy Cam Mooney with "come on, give them (the crowd) something!"
-Speaking to Cam Mooney at the B&F and hearing directly that he didn't want to leave. Major f'up that trade :( . But let's not beat that drum again..
-A mate playing a gig at the Redback - then Carey et al's pub - a couple of days later and calling me during the setup whispering "get your arse over here now"

1 hour later walked into the poolroom of the pub and there's Carey on a big chair like an emperor flanked by his minions. Entire playing group was having their blowout there after the flag.

Highlights:
-Trying on Winnie's premiership medal
-Hanging with Peter Bell as he got increasingly intoxicated and eventually curled up for a sleep. On the footpath.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back