Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Terry Alderman still in good shape? A swing bowler like Sayers if he's fit might be useful.
This, the selectors would be fools not to select a someone like Sayers, Worrall or even Copeland.

I’m interested as to why so many see David Warner as an automatic inclusion for a Ashes series in England. 13 innings without a century in England, with an average of 37 in English conditions.

Sure they aren’t bad numbers but Warner doesn’t have a dominant summer in Australia this time around to make him an automatic conclusion.

Wonder if anyone has some first class averages from Aus players in England. Wouldn’t mind seeing if any aussies have had some good numbers in the uk.

Still better numbers than any of our bats had at home vs India lol.

I think that Head has a future in test cricket. He's streaky AF at times and occasionally downright lucky, but he can build an innings.

Disagree on Butters. He's got a few technical deficiencies, which he immediately addressed in his recall and looked like a genuinely good batsman. His defensive game is pure crap, which is bizarre that he plays that way, since he's a naturally attacking player.

Labushagne will most likely be persevered with, but I really can't see Khawaja remaining an opener. Just lacks the technique to work the ball and the strike.

I don't think Hazlewood or Starc will play, and Starc definitely shouldn't on his form. If he keeps bowling like he did, he shouldn't even go to the Ashes. But you know that will never happen.

See I disagree, I think if Head stays in our team for a period of time it says more about the state of Australian cricket than it does about the quality of Travis Head. Far too many flaws in his game to see him averaging more than the mid 30s at Test level IMO.

Dont wanna offend any posters here but judging from Facebook comments (I absolutely get it) on articles it seems that the Marsh brothers are definitely the whipping boys. If anything I guess the general public had enough of them. And more references talking about how great those early 2000s teams were. Feels like the team is still basking in the glory days, unwilling to produce a new set of legends. Got complacent, thinking that things will just magically happen again.
Hoping that we'll miraculously produce another 5 once in generation players has been CA's plan A for the last ten years and there is no plan B.

See I disagree, I think if Head stays in our team for a period of time it says more about the state of Australian cricket than it does about the quality of Travis Head. Far too many flaws in his game to see him averaging more than the mid 30s at Test level IMO.
Mid 30s is something the team would kill for at the moment, when they're struggling to make it past 150 without a collapse.

Been discussed of late during commentary, that the shield seconds teams need to be playing so guys like renshaw, labuschagne etc are still playing regularly against quality competition.
Makes sense so I doubt we will do it.
WArne was also suggesting yo scrap the u23 part of it, leave it as open. Test these kids against men.
Again, makes sense so unlikely
That's for the seconds, and also players over 23 regularly play in that comp.

If all goes according to plan. Starting team.

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Smith
Patterson
Maxwell
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazelwood

Squad - Starc, Warner, Wade, Neser, Renshaw, Sayers

There's just no chance Starc and Harris aren't in that team, barring injury. I don't think Warner and Smith are shooin either, given no form in long format and having not played it for over a year. Hit and giggle is one thing, 4/5 day cricket is something else entirely.

Pucovski is about as left field as a selection gets. Squad, maybe. Starting 11? No chance. It would be the least experienced team to play England in over 130 years.
Smith will be straight back into the team. I strongly believe Warner will be too but there is absolutely no way in hell we do not rush the bloke who averages 61 at test level straight back into the side.

I think the top 4 is pretty set

Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith

That looks fairly sold IMO. Spot up for grabs for 5 and 6. I wouldn't be against playing one or even both of Burns and Renshaw in the middle order. Head and Maxwell the other two I'd consider playing at 6. It'll really come down to the second half of the Shield season. I really hope we look past Marsh for the Sri Lankan tests as I don't think he deserves to be in the Ashes squad and beating up on Sri Lanka may be enough to get him there.

As far as the bowling goes, I think these four will all be picked in the squad, but I think CA will be hoping Pattinson can keep fit and take some wickets in the Shield as he is one who can really swing the ball.

If I'm picking an 11 now, supposing everyone is fit, it would probably look like this

Harris
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Burns
Head
Paine
Cummins
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazlewood
I don't mind this. The only reservations i have is that Warner tours but does not start. I don't know if we can just rush him back. I think Burns deserves his chance first. I'd also drop Head, he isn't test standard with his technique. Pattinson i agree completely. His County form was hot and i think if fully fit he could be the leading wicket taker over there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see Head getting dropped unless he really drops the ball vs Sri Lanka. If he keeps racking up 30s, then I don't really see him having much of a future, but it is a lot better and more reliable than Smarsh's innings.

Prefer consistent 30 than 0, 1, 8, 3, 4, 90, 0, 0, 0, 0, 145, 0, 0, 0 ...

12 Man Squad for the Two Tests- get these matches with bans over and done with without chopping and changing:

Marcus Harris
Shaun Marsh (Warner)
Usman Khawaja
Peter Handscomb (Smith)
Marnus Labuschagne
Travis Head
Tim Paine
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood

Peter Siddle

Means Handscomb and Marsh keep their spots for these two matches and are then replaced when the Ashes come up with Warner and Smith. Side is set out in a way that will allow the top 6 to bat in a position they will bat in the Ashes to gain some familiarity.

I don't see Head getting dropped unless he really drops the ball vs Sri Lanka. If he keeps racking up 30s, then I don't really see him having much of a future, but it is a lot better and more reliable than Smarsh's innings.

Prefer consistent 30 than 0, 1, 8, 3, 4, 90, 0, 0, 0, 0, 145, 0, 0, 0 ...
Not making the most of starts has been the common theme all series for our batsmen. MMarsh aside, they've got at least one this series but failed to develop on them, that suggests to me that the bare bones of a Test match batsman might be there, it's learning how to capitalise from them that will put the skin on the bones, or not. That's why I'm happy seeing the younger guys given a few more chances, if they can start to turn those thirties into fifties and then hundreds they have a future, and it's where I see SMarsh's age as really acting against him.

Not making the most of starts has been the common theme all series for our batsmen. MMarsh aside, they've got at least one this series but failed to develop on them, that suggests to me that the bare bones of a Test match batsman might be there, it's learning how to capitalise from them that will put the skin on the bones, or not. That's why I'm happy seeing the younger guys given a few more chances, if they can start to turn those thirties into fifties and then hundreds they have a future, and it's where I see SMarsh's age as really acting against him.
I don’t head has a technique cut out for test cricket. That’s why I’d like to see him go back to shield cricket and average 45 rather than 36.

I don't mind this. The only reservations i have is that Warner tours but does not start. I don't know if we can just rush him back. I think Burns deserves his chance first. I'd also drop Head, he isn't test standard with his technique. Pattinson i agree completely. His County form was hot and i think if fully fit he could be the leading wicket taker over there.
Warner will have played in a World Cup as well as FC warm up games for or against Australia A. He'll be right to go.

After everything that has happened I don't see why you'd pick Warner and not play him, there's still going to be friction in the playing group and having a character like Warner sitting out games thinking he should be out there would be counter productive imo.

Last edited:
I'd say that the changes he made in the 4th test was a step in the right direction

What changes? Still got out to a ball he should have been on the front foot rather than the back foot yet again.

Unless he shows he can play on the front foot to quicks, he’s a big no.

After everything that has happened I don't see why you'd pick Warner and not play him, there's still going to be friction in the playing group and having a character like Warner sitting out games thinking he should be out there would be counter productive imo.
How so? I think it sends the opposite message. Yes we rate you but you’re not just going to push out Joe Burns who has had a good shield season and deserves a go again. I think Dave Warner needs to bank some first class runs before walking back. Sure, take him in the squad and if no one steps up then play him, but don’t just bring him back at the expense of Burns.

He disgraced himself and Australia with what he did.

I'd say that the changes he made in the 4th test was a step in the right direction
There was certainly an intention to come forward more. There were some positive signs to take from his innings. Not saying he's all fixed now but changes like that are not going to happen overnight.

This graphic doesn't scream of someone who refuses to believe he doesn't have a problem with his technique.

How so? I think it sends the opposite message. Yes we rate you but you’re not just going to push out Joe Burns who has had a good shield season and deserves a go again. I think Dave Warner needs to bank some first class runs before walking back. Sure, take him in the squad and if no one steps up then play him, but don’t just bring him back at the expense of Burns.

He disgraced himself and Australia with what he did.

Warner's straight in. He has the runs on the board, so to speak. Blokes that average nearly 50 in Test cricket are gold to us right now. Burns can fit into the line up, doesn't have to open. Certainly won't be a lack of spots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back