Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
World Cup means nothing. FC more of a measuring stick.
I don't agree at all the the World Cup would mean nothing. No, it's not the same format, but he'll still be building an innings against the best quality bowlers in the world. We already know Warner can play test cricket. He'll then have a couple of FC games to play in between.

Apart from these recent series and the last test match in South Africa, how long has it been since there hasn't been a representative from NSW batting in the top 6. (I'm not including Khawaja now that he plays for Qld).

Would be a rare I would think with Smith, Clarke, Waugh, Taylor all representing as captains.

I'm going to guess this match. Following the 2005 Ashes both Katich and Clarke were dumped and the top 6 was basically Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Hodge/Martyn, Hussey, Symonds for a few series.

There was certainly an intention to come forward more. There were some positive signs to take from his innings. Not saying he's all fixed now but changes like that are not going to happen overnight.

This graphic doesn't scream of someone who refuses to believe he doesn't have a problem with his technique.

Looked like he was playing more aggressive too and looked good for it. He was pissed that he chopped one on again, but at least he genuinely looked good out there.

Given that his ban was probably excessive in the first place, making Warner wait even further for Joe Burns or someone to fail before he gets picked is rubbing salt into the wound.

I think he'll go straight back in but I'm intrigued how the team spirit and dynamic will change once he and Smith are there.

What changes? Still got out to a ball he should have been on the front foot rather than the back foot yet again.

Unless he shows he can play on the front foot to quicks, he’s a big no.

In his defence, that probably required a back foot shot due to the slightly shorter length. The ball seamed in towards his body and didn’t bounce as expected. Basically, Handscomb didn’t adjust to a ball which did quite a bit. He shouldn’t have played any shot in hindsight.

I think overall Handscomb did look better to the quicks in that innings.

Given that his ban was probably excessive in the first place, making Warner wait even further for Joe Burns or someone to fail before he gets picked is rubbing salt into the wound.

I think he'll go straight back in but I'm intrigued how the team spirit and dynamic will change once he and Smith are there.

Keep getting flogged at home and there won't be any team spirit anyway......

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Excessive? Wow

In his defence, that probably required a back foot shot due to the slightly shorter length. The ball seamed in towards his body and didn’t bounce as expected. Basically, Handscomb didn’t adjust to a ball which did quite a bit. He shouldn’t have played any shot in hindsight.

I think overall Handscomb did look better to the quicks in that innings.

To a degree I guess, but jeez I'm not confident one single bit with his technique. If the alternative is Mitch Marsh though...I'd take Handscomb though, at least he can catch.

Excessive? Wow

All 3 bans were excessive. CA are a bunch of blow in muppets though that bowed down to the pressure from outside instead of making a rational decision. A ban of between 3-6 matches (meaning they would have been available the start of this summer) would have been more than enough, considering the offence carried a 1 match ban in the ICC.

I want Starc dropped but he wont be. They drop batsmen after one test yet this guy continues to get picked whilst doing nothing.

Hazelwood can join him too. Both were abysmal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the selectors have totally butchered the last two series in the UAE and India at home, there could well be an argument that you need some stability regardless of whether blokes deserve to be there or not BUT it doesn't mean you should be gifting out more caps to guys who are simply not good enough. In my opinion, the locks for SL should be:

1. Harris
3. Khawaja
5. Handscomb
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
11. Lyon

The selectors know that Smith comes back at four, no ifs or buts. Khawaja has the runs on the board from the UAE. Next, Harris and Handscomb looked the best (still mediocre I know) out of an extremely bad bunch through the series. Now is the time to punt the Marshes, they are just simply not good enough and at SMarsh's age, he isn't going to get any better. It is obviously most likely Warner comes back in based on ability alone unless one of Renshaw/Burns/Hughes plays out of their skin for SL or in the Shield. The Warner question is purely about doucheness obviously.

I know the selectors will not change the bowling attack, even though they should at least give Richardson and one other (preferably Pattinson) a run, those two guys could seriously destroy in English conditions.

So who the selectors fit around the guys above?

These are the most likely options and to be honest, I am not against going against a lot of public perception and playing Stoinis at 6, there is just something about him and his likelihood to step up at the next level, far more likely than Labusausage anyway.

1. Harris
2. (Warner/Renshaw/Burns/Hughes)
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (Patterson/Wade/Maxwell/SMarsh)
5. Handscomb
6. (Stoinis/Head/MMarsh/Maxwell/Lehmann/Henriques/Labusyringe)
7. Paine (c)
8. Cummins
9. (Starc/Pattinson/Richardson/Tremain/Siddle/Neser)
10. (Hazlewood/Richardson/Pattinson/Tremain/Siddle/Worrall)
11. Lyon

Who do you pick?

Laubashghne showed enough this test to lock him in for a while. Play the long game with him.

Personally

1. Harris (but I'm not sold on him yet!)
2. D.Hughes (Warner when returning)
3. Khawaja
4. Laubasghne (Smith)
5. Handscomb (whoever out of him and Marnus scores more runs stays in after Smith returns
6. Bancroft (Head the alternative)
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Jhye Richardson
10. Lyon
11. Tremain

12th Jake Lehmann

I've got to say, I'm really starting to warm to Stoinis at 6, there is just something about him. He is a competitor and he is a pretty good bat who has been constantly improving. Feel free to shoot me down but if you are going to take a punt on an all rounder, I'd FAR prefer him over Labushayne and I'm a Queensland supporter.

I've got to say, I'm really starting to warm to Stoinis at 6, there is just something about him. He is a competitor and he is a pretty good bat who has been constantly improving. Feel free to shoot me down but if you are going to take a punt on an all rounder, I'd FAR prefer him over Labushayne and I'm a Queensland supporter.

Or we can just not pick an all rounder...especially in England.

As a QLD supporter surely you'd know Laubausghne isn't an all rounder! He bats 3 for QLD!

I would be shocked if there aren’t a handful of changes from our last XI that played in the 4th test, whether it be due to form or resting players. Selectors hand has been forced and they can no longer play favourites. Think they will go with this (not personally what I would go with).

Harris
Renshaw
Labuschagne
Khawaja
Head
Handscomb
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Siddle/Tremain
Lyon

If they’re bringing in someone to open with Harris I can’t see them going for anyone other than Renshaw. There’s next to no chance of Burns making the Ashes squad due to being down the pecking order. Selectors will want a batsman of the Pujura mould who values his wicket, bats time and can consistently see out the new ball. Understand Renshaw is not making runs in Shield cricket, but he is undoubtedly the future and needs an extended opportunity before the Ashes.

Think either Hazlewood or Starc gets rested. Don’t care who, but it’s important to let our quicks know that they are replaceable.

Would love to see Wade bat at 6 but unfortunately think the selectors have put a line through him. The way he goes about his cricket is probably too intimidating to the opposition for Langer to want him in his side.

Will be shattered if no changes are made and selectors don’t show a willingness to give prospective players an opportunity to impress ahead of our tour of England.

The side I'd go with

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Wade
Head
Maxwell
Paine
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood
Tremain

Richardson 12th man

Unfortunately, I think the selectors will make minimal if any changes though. I'm not a fan of the Labuschagne selection, but I wouldn't blame them for giving him a decent run.

Out of every test batsman selected since the SA disaster, only Khawaja has a better FC average than Glenn Maxwell and yet he isn't even coming into consideration. Burns has 3 test hundreds and a test average as good as most of the guys FC average yet remains on the outer (and has a better test average than 5 of our top 7). Wade is clearly the in form batsman in the country and hasn't even received a phone call from the selectors.

Let's make our batsman work hard to make runs to get in the national side FFS. Don't make it a lottery anymore.

I feel our bowlers need a real kick up the arse. I don't see how it's fair that state bowlers are bashing down the door at FC level and yet aren't even seriously considered despite how poor we have bowled of late.

I expect we may make one change to the batting line up if any and then keep the same bowling attack

Prediction

Harris
Khawaja
Labuschagne
Marsh
Head
Handscomb/Burns/Wade
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazlewood

Or we can just not pick an all rounder...especially in England.

As a QLD supporter surely you'd know Laubausghne isn't an all rounder! He bats 3 for QLD!

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't think any all rounder should be picked but you and I both know the selectors MUST have one. So going with their stupid thinking, I would FAR prefer Stoinis over Labrat (whom it seems the selectors also view as an all rounder because he certainly isn't being picked on his batting exploits alone).

Or just go with six leg spinning all rounders:

1. Warner (lbg)
2. Short (slc)
3. Smith (lbg)
4. Labushagne (lbg)
5. White (lbg)
6. Sangha (lbg)

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't think any all rounder should be picked but you and I both know the selectors MUST have one. So going with their stupid thinking, I would FAR prefer Stoinis over Labrat (whom it seems the selectors also view as an all rounder because he certainly isn't being picked on his batting exploits alone).

Or just go with six leg spinning all rounders:

1. Warner (lbg)
2. Short (slc)
3. Smith (lbg)
4. Labushagne (lbg)
5. White (lbg)
6. Sangha (lbg)

I'd far prefer Laubasghne over Stones and personally it's not even close. Laubasghne has the technique and our top 6 in general have terrible techniques, Laubausghne was good in Sydney, deserves and extended run, and he's a gun short leg fielder and considering we have Head dropping dolly's at short leg it's a factor.

Agree - surely Cummins is the all-rounder

Pretty much.

We have a shocking top order, further limiting our batting is not the answer. Pick 6 bats, a keeper, and 4 bowlers. It's worked for 100 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back