Gideon Haigh SLAMS Justin Langer. Destroys Cricket Australia with logic and facts.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
The best batsman in the country right now at shield level is a bloke who has played 20 tests for Australia and averaged 28.
Ignoring Lemonmeringue's one innings, after the current test series Wade's average would be good enough to be the third best batsman in the team right now, Burns would be second, and usually there's space for 6 of those.

Putting it bluntly you could walk Finch and Handscomb out of the side easily for those two. The former's not a test batsman (and definitely not an opener), and the latter was picked on T20 form and is continually exposed against good test bowling (but will probably average 60 against SL).

Ignoring Lemonmeringue's one innings, after the current test series Wade's average would be good enough to be the third best batsman in the team right now, Burns would be second, and usually there's space for 6 of those.

Putting it bluntly you could walk Finch and Handscomb out of the side easily for those two. The former's not a test batsman (and definitely not an opener), and the latter was picked on T20 form and is continually exposed against good test bowling (but will probably average 60 against SL).

I'd easily play Handscomb over Wade. Hands comb's fielding comes into it. Our fielding is bad enough without playing a former keeper in the field, and it's not as if he could catch well with gloves on. Finch was a howler, you could have played half of the Shield batsmen in Australia and still been better.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
I'd easily play Handscomb over Wade. Hands comb's fielding comes into it. Our fielding is bad enough without playing a former keeper in the field, and it's not as if he could catch well with gloves on. Finch was a howler, you could have played half of the Shield batsmen in Australia and still been better.
Missed a dolly last night in the T20 as well.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond
But they’re not. The best batsman in the country right now at shield level is a bloke who has played 20 tests for Australia and averaged 28. That’s the best going around right now. Gilchrist batted in the same position and averaged 48 for Australia. People thinking bog average batsmen playing shield cricket are going to make centuries for Australia are kidding themselves.

Marcus Harris made a big double century for Victoria and averaged over 70 so was rewarded with a test birth. He’s someone Langer wasn’t a fan of when he left WA, yet forced his way in off his own bat. People acting as though there’s some conspiracy against Victorian players not being selected for Australia should realise that there’s no one pressing their claim for a call up.

Who the hell has suggested a conspiracy? I'm just as perplexed at Finch's selection as Marsh jnr. Fact remains there is a guy who averages more, has more natural talent than most and has addressed many of the deficiences that people continue to crap on about.

Missed a dolly last night in the T20 as well.

No shocks there. He's got severe limitations...and this is a bloke that has been tried twice and averages 28 at test level. Dare I say they aren't in a rush to select a bloke averaging 28 that has no other things going for him (i.e. fielding and bowling)

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

Finch was a mistake for sure. The thing about Handscomb though, is that he’s not quite good enough for test cricket, yet will go back to shield cricket and score more runs than anyone else. He’s one of the only batsmen at shield level with the proven ability to score big hundreds. Same as SMarsh. That’s how s**t the standard of batting is at the moment. We just don’t have test standard batsmen and they’re the best we’ve got right now.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Finch was a mistake for sure. The thing about Handscomb though, is that he’s not quite good enough for test cricket, yet will go back to shield cricket and score more runs than anyone else. He’s one of the only batsmen at shield level with the proven ability to score big hundreds. Same as SMarsh. That’s how s**t the standard of batting is at the moment. We just don’t have test standard batsmen and they’re the best we’ve got right now.
I think the difference between the players is night and day. Marsh often scores runs when the team is cashing in, or when the result is beyond a doubt and the pressure is off. Butters is a confidence player. Knocking up a ton against India in India is no easy feat. Sure, he's stunk it up in his last few tests, but there's enough there to persevere with. You know what you're going to get with Khawaja and Marsh and only one is worth sticking with.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This must have been mentioned at least 20 times on this board, whilst a legitimate point I find it a tad amusing as most other batsmen they probably wouldn't give a s**t about the circumstances of their dismissal.

I think in a sample size as small as this it’s fairly relevant, in a similar way to Callum ferguson’s brief test career being partly such a failure due to a run out

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Who the hell has suggested a conspiracy? I'm just as perplexed at Finch's selection as Marsh jnr. Fact remains there is a guy who averages more, has more natural talent than most and has addressed many of the deficiences that people continue to crap on about.
He has played as many test as Travis Head and averages 26 in tests. Maxwell has done sfa in shield cricket this year, he doesn’t deserve a spot as a batsman in the test team.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
But they’re not. The best batsman in the country right now at shield level is a bloke who has played 20 tests for Australia and averaged 28. That’s the best going around right now. Gilchrist batted in the same position and averaged 48 for Australia. People thinking bog average batsmen playing shield cricket are going to make centuries for Australia are kidding themselves.

Marcus Harris made a big double century for Victoria and averaged over 70 so was rewarded with a test birth. He’s someone Langer wasn’t a fan of when he left WA, yet forced his way in off his own bat. People acting as though there’s some conspiracy against Victorian players not being selected for Australia should realise that there’s no one pressing their claim for a call up.
Burns has averaged over 50 since the start of last season.

He has a test average more than a lot of our test players FC average, he has 3 test hundreds, he has a higher test average than most of our top 7, yet can't get a look in.

Just because the cupboard is bare compared to most era's, does not mean we don't pick the best side.

At the moment selection is a complete lottery

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I think the difference between the players is night and day. Marsh often scores runs when the team is cashing in, or when the result is beyond a doubt and the pressure is off. Butters is a confidence player. Knocking up a ton against India in India is no easy feat. Sure, he's stunk it up in his last few tests, but there's enough there to persevere with. You know what you're going to get with Khawaja and Marsh and only one is worth sticking with.
Marsh has played some important innings for Australia, although not for a while now. Most recent was his hundred to win us the day night test match against England in Adelaide.

The big difference I think is that Handsomb has his whole career ahead of him, while I think the Ashes will be Marsh’s final tour for Australia.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Burns has averaged over 50 since the start of last season.

He has a test average more than a lot of our test players FC average, he has 3 test hundreds, he has a higher test average than most of our top 7, yet can't get a look in.

Just because the cupboard is bare compared to most era's, does not mean we don't pick the best side.

At the moment selection is a complete lottery
Agree Burns has been dealt a raw deal. He should’ve been playing instead of Finch.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
He has played as many test as Travis Head and averages 26 in tests. Maxwell has done sfa in shield cricket this year, he doesn’t deserve a spot as a batsman in the test team.
He's played 4 innings?

Whilst not making a hundred, he is still averaging 42. Labuschagne came in after averaging 28.

We've tried 10 batsmen in our top 6 in the last 7 tests, Only one of those ten have a higher FC average than Maxwell.

His test average is low because of his first stint in test cricket about 6 years ago.

He averaged 37 in his last block of games in India and Bangladesh which I think is much more relevant. No one managed to average that much in our home series against India.

Last edited:

Woody15

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
He's played 4 innings?

Whilst not making a hundred, he is still averaging 42. Labuschagne came in after averaging 28.

We've tried 10 batsmen in our top 6 in the last 7 tests, Only one of those ten have a higher FC average than Maxwell.
Wow.

Shame he got run out with the deflection at the non strikers end for 57 against WA at the start of December. I wonder if his summer would have been different had he went on to a big 100.

Apr 19, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Swans Blog
Marsh has played some important innings for Australia, although not for a while now. Most recent was his hundred to win us the day night test match against England in Adelaide.

The big difference I think is that Handsomb has his whole career ahead of him, while I think the Ashes will be Marsh’s final tour for Australia.
Honestly, I hope this was his last series.

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
He's played 4 innings?

His test average is low because of his first stint in test cricket about 6 years ago.

He averaged 37 in his last block of games in India and Bangladesh which I think is much more relevant. No one managed to average that much in our home series against India.
Labuschagne made a 50 for Queensland against a NSW outfit boasting the Australian bowling attack. He also bowls leg spin which is why he was picked on a pitch which churns out huge totals. I’m all for maxwell in the team but he needs to do what Harris did for Victoria and make some decent scores.

archibald

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2004
AFL Club
Richmond

He's played 2 games ffs, while still in those apparently vital games/points to your argument he still averages more than all the incumbants bar Khawaja and Marsh.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Shaun Marsh indicated recently that he and brother Mitch hoped to surpass father Geoff’s number of test matches. Geoff played 50. To date Shaun has played 38 and Mitch 31.
Shaun would have passed his dad already if his hammies/back weren't dodgy.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Labuschagne made a 50 for Queensland against a NSW outfit boasting the Australian bowling attack. He also bowls leg spin which is why he was picked on a pitch which churns out huge totals. I’m all for maxwell in the team but he needs to do what Harris did for Victoria and make some decent scores.
So it's okay for Labuschagne to be selected after averaging 28 because he made a 50 against NSW? He also made 4 the next innings so he had a average of 26 in that match.

The fact you are calling for Maxwell to make the same amount of runs as Harris ( even though he was missing games through Australian ODI and T20 commitments) despite being happy with Labaschagne's inclusion is a contradiction don't you think?

Maxwell also averaged over 50 lat year compared to Labuschagne's 39

You can't have one rule for one player and a different rule for others.

Picking him because he bowls part time leg spin is the same as picking Mitch Marsh.

Shaun Marsh indicated recently that he and brother Mitch hoped to surpass father Geoff’s number of test matches. Geoff played 50. To date Shaun has played 38 and Mitch 31.

Isn’t there another spud with their last name Marsh lol

bh90210fan

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 4, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
So it's okay for Labuschagne to be selected after averaging 28 because he made a 50 against NSW? He also made 4 the next innings so he had a average of 26 in that match.

The fact you are calling for Maxwell to make the same amount of runs as Harris ( even though he was missing games through Australian ODI and T20 commitments) despite being happy with Labaschagne's inclusion is a contradiction don't you think?

Maxwell also averaged over 50 lat year compared to Labuschagne's 39

You can't have one rule for one player and a different rule for others.

Picking him because he bowls part time leg spin is the same as picking Mitch Marsh.
That’s why the selectors picked him. They love all rounders and he bowled well in the UAE.

Maxwell should’ve been over there but he wasn’t so now he has to make a few scores to get back in. If he’s good enough he should be able to do it.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
That’s why the selectors picked him. They love all rounders and he bowled well in the UAE.

Maxwell should’ve been over there but he wasn’t so now he has to make a few scores to get back in. If he’s good enough he should be able to do it.
That's a bit hard to do when there is no cricket on unfortunately. Our schedule is an absolute joke, but that's another issue.

Back