Analysis Welcome to dinosaur land - will the rule changes get the game to look like this?

Remove this Banner Ad

How many has Whankley rubbed one out over the new rule changes , probably records the 360 shows and re watched himself , rubs one out while he talks about the rule changes .
Make no mistake and this will happen.

Hocking, Gil and GW will pat themselves on the back after round 3 claiming what a raging success these tweaks to the rules are, thing is rounds 1 to 3 are always free flowing affairs before backlines find their groove and defensive pressure takes over............................

and then all the whinging and complaining will start that some teams are still s**t and some games are still s**t to watch.

These drongo's want end to end free flowing 150-130 scorelines, it won't happen.

Kick in rule won't make an inch of difference, coaches hate turnover on the kick in and players will still be gun shy and still kick to the safe option in the pocket, and remember as soon as you exit the square it's play on and you can be closed down.

Kick up the guts will only be used late in games when behind.

Oh and you still need to wait for the goal umpires signal before resuming play so you can't just grab a ball and play on.
This notion that players will bomb long to the wings is just wishful thinking, turn it over once and players will go back into their shells, especially if it costs you a goal because forward line's will be more open ( only by a few metre's though )

This kick in rule was introduced to stop repeat entries...it won't.
I've actually forgotton. You don;t have to wait for the signal now. Players are playing on while the umpire is signalling a behind aren't they?

I liked the old style of play and hate the new style with all the players in one half following the ball around. It's s**t. I can barely watch any games other than Richmond these days. Until Clarkson started the rolling maul, I could usually watch any game of the week and enjoy it, except for teams coached by Malthouse which were always snooze fests. Plus he is a miserable campaigner.

I am all for opening up the game and view the new rules with sceptical anticipation. I think the AFL will probably **** it up though.
Roos' gameplan at the Swans was about full field congestion

You can still put short arses in the ruck, all this rule is doing is preventing the ruckman from being pinged after getting a feather touch after grabbing the ball, ruckman still has to dispose of the ball legally under this new tweak which really has been relaxed these past two years anyway, they are just making it official now is all.
The short arse ruck (ours) might be able to sweat on the tall ruck if he takes possession. Tackle as soon as possession is taken and that would cause a stoppage. This would stop ruckmen, contesting a thrown in near their own goal, and snapping goals (as easily as Grundy did in the last qtr of the Prelim

The longer square isnt coming in , was rejected by the AFL commission . Major change is 666, one that has slipped through is rucks can grab the pill in a throw in which will kill off using short arses , . Hands in back has been relaxed to mean must be genuine interference in the process , this will benefit jack and dusty and possibly rance
FB don’t have to dummy kick , just play on , will benefit shorty and houli

666 will benefit sides that win clearances and have good key forwards
With the kick in rule change it says that after a point is scored the nearest defender to the goal square has to be 10m back. Team that just scored the behind could just modify their zone a bit. First line is in line of 3 or 4 players with the 10m mark out from the goal square. Would still make an effective fwd 1/2 press.

I've actually forgotton. You don;t have to wait for the signal now. Players are playing on while the umpire is signalling a behind aren't they?
Still have to wait for the signal just not the flags, and that includes being able to grab a ball, need to wait for goal umpires signal. Nothing changes except the kick to self and the man on mark placed back a few metres.

The thing i don't like about the kick in rule is the fact that the players can just overstep with no consequences, every other sport in the world requires the ball being kicked from behind a line when returning the ball into play, soccer, rugby etc.

This is an over-reaction rule change because they don't like repeat entries and their obsession for ping pong football, it will only take clubs a few rounds to adjust to the kick in's and then it will repeat entry heaven back into open forward lines.....hello Lynch.

These changes has me thinking that eventually we will need to replace 2 players with 2 taller players that will need to have speed and endurance
1 change i see is a player like Balta replacing Grigg

* Ruck chop out
* Better mark when ball kicked long from the kick in to winger's
* Booming kick to get the ball in quickly to our fowards

Short kicks a 50-55 mtr kick to Balta on the wing who turns around and kicks long to Lynch 20 mtrs out from goal

These changes has me thinking that eventually we will need to replace 2 players with 2 taller players that will need to have speed and endurance
1 change i see is a player like Balta replacing Grigg

* Ruck chop out
* Better mark when ball kicked long from the kick in to winger's
* Booming kick to get the ball in quickly to our fowards

Short kicks a 50-55 mtr kick to Balta on the wing who turns around and kicks long to Lynch 20 mtrs out from goal

Would be suicide to have another year of Grigg in the ruck.

one additional change that is not being listed but was evident as last season progressed - Prior opportunity is going to be much tighter from the get-go, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 'team prior opportunity' become the norm by season's end. Personally, I think that's a good thing.

*Opposition supporters welcome
Hi everyone, the cricket is shizer and i am obviously bored and looking at footy already. I have been looking at some old and recent games to really see the difference, skill level etc and how far the game has come.
It got me to thinking about the rule changes, in particular the starting positions. I don't think it will be a bad thing. I have long held the belief if a coach was courageous enough to pull a couple of forwards out of the congestion and place one around the centre and another 30-40m out from goal, the opposition coach would pull at least 3 out to cover the 2 therefore opening the game up a bit. I am going to provide a game from 97 to view. It had scoring, hits, and more importantly, you could run the ball out or concede a point, and it didn't detract from the game either. For old tiger heads this is the "pathetic Pittman" game.
As a side note, the commentary is great proving sometimes "less is more". You don't need 6 people in a box and 3 special comments. The production etc seemed to flow real smooth from a viewing point of view. I am interested on others thoughts after watching parts of or the whole game. Is this what you'd rather watch, or footy how it is today?

Main thing I noticed was the crowd noise wasn't completely muted like the modern day coverage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Main thing I noticed was the crowd noise wasn't completely muted like the modern day coverage.

Just watched Richmond v Port in 97 (I basically put the games on off you tube and do a work out. Should hear the crowd noise on that one and it’s a crowd of 35k. You’d think it was 70k. Sounds heaps better. More “raw” from a tv viewing stand point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still have to wait for the signal just not the flags, and that includes being able to grab a ball, need to wait for goal umpires signal. Nothing changes except the kick to self and the man on mark placed back a few metres.

The thing i don't like about the kick in rule is the fact that the players can just overstep with no consequences, every other sport in the world requires the ball being kicked from behind a line when returning the ball into play, soccer, rugby etc.

This is an over-reaction rule change because they don't like repeat entries and their obsession for ping pong football, it will only take clubs a few rounds to adjust to the kick in's and then it will repeat entry heaven back into open forward lines.....hello Lynch.
we are going to score 180 every week if this is going to be ping pong high speed football

Just watched Richmond v Port in 97 (I basically put the games on off you tube and do a work out. Should hear the crowd noise on that one and it’s a crowd of 35k. You’d think it was 70k. Sounds heaps better. More “raw” from a tv viewing stand point.

Yeah agree. Our 2017 finals series was unbelievable in terms of atmosphere. The commentators were all mentioning it throughout....meanwhile...you watch the games again and you hardly hear a thing. Probably another reason why people feel like the games are "less exciting" these days.

Yeah agree. Our 2017 finals series was unbelievable in terms of atmosphere. The commentators were all mentioning it throughout....meanwhile...you watch the games again and you hardly hear a thing. Probably another reason why people feel like the games are "less exciting" these days.

There’s something just so amazing about that gutteral roar that emits from the crowd once we crank up. It’s a real * you roar.

There’s something just so amazing about that gutteral roar that emits from the crowd once we crank up. It’s a real **** you roar.

Oh yes. That Geelong game still makes the hair on my neck stand up. They say the crowd can be the 19th man....well in that game we were the 19th, 20th, 21st all the way to 29th man. I wish I could find some good quality audio of that game!!

Oh yes. That Geelong game still makes the hair on my neck stand up. They say the crowd can be the 19th man....well in that game we were the 19th, 20th, 21st all the way to 29th man. I wish I could find some good quality audio of that game!!

Yeah, the cats crowd was old school. A whole lot of hurt was exorcised that night.

Yeah, the cats crowd was old school. A whole lot of hurt was exorcised that night.

Cats crowds are meek and non-intimidating.

That night their 3 flags became a talking point no longer.

Loved the booing when they ran out. Honestly the loudest thing ever aside from the first goal vs GWS.

The meltdown over us booing them, outnumbering them and barracking too loudly is still extremely satisfying :)

Just can’t get excited about footy season like usual just because all these knobs will just keep banging on about the state of the game until eventually they * it. Added to that the state of cricket as mentioned in OP and I’ve never been less interested in Australian Sports as now, and that’s from a huge footy and cricket nut.
I got home this arvo and was flicking through the channels and happened upon a Norf v Brisbane game from round 3, 2003. Normally I’d just keep flicking but I watched a bit and it really got me in. Not only did it freak me out that those days only feel like yesterday, so fast does time go but the game was a thousand times better really.
I’m one who has said that I enjoy the defensive aspect of today’s footy and I do, but that was a fast free flowing era of footy. I just wish they’d let s**t evolve naturally like has always been the case rather than interfere, that’s why I think I’ve lost interest. Too many selfish w***ers.

the prelim against gws was the best. mental atmosphere

a day ill never forget. i was at the granny and the prelim was better..

the prelim against gws was the best. mental atmosphere

a day ill never forget. i was at the granny and the prelim was better..
Agree

The atmosphere that day was just amazing and the noise level - Just wow
I will always remember that game as the best for me in regards to atmosphere

one additional change that is not being listed but was evident as last season progressed - Prior opportunity is going to be much tighter from the get-go, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 'team prior opportunity' become the norm by season's end. Personally, I think that's a good thing.
This being the case will assist teams like us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back