Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I can wear the grand final, just, but the finals is ridiculous. Australians playing Australians in front of other Australians and we bust out the national anthem? What’s its purpose exactly?

Celebrating the sport unique to this great nation?

Sent from mTalk

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I work 80 hours a fortnight like most full-timers but I work it in 1 week and get the next off.

Wow!
Are you a bit of a zombie at the end of the "On" week?
I reckon I'd be little more than a puddle of goo for the first couple of days of "Off" week.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Similar but better.

As is anything else Aussie v NZ :)

Wish our anthem was more like the Kiwis. Reckon theirs is one of the good ones around the world.

I have a hypothesis that the 'best' anthems are borne out of conflict rather than consensus. But I suspect this would probably be exposed as BS if analysed in any way.

Wish our anthem was more like the Kiwis. Reckon theirs is one of the good ones around the world.

I have a hypothesis that the 'best' anthems are borne out of conflict rather than consensus. But I suspect this would probably be exposed as BS if analysed in any way.
I have a theory that it has more to do with us not really being a nation of singers, God Save the Queen is a bit of a dirge too but the Poms love a sing song and hearing it sung by 80000 at Twickers is amazing. AAF might sound better if it wasn't mumbled half halfheartedly our crowds.

I wouldn't be able to even hum the NZ national anthem tbh

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I wouldn't be able to even hum the NZ national anthem tbh
FWIW....
God Defend New Zealand - sung in Māori then in English. Symbolising a conflict never truly resolved. Brings a tear to my Aussie eye for some reason.

I have a theory that it has more to do with us not really being a nation of singers, God Save the Queen is a bit of a dirge too but the Poms love a sing song and hearing it sung by 80000 at Twickers is amazing. AAF might sound better if it wasn't mumbled half halfheartedly our crowds.

It's because we weren't born out of a civil war or revolution etc. All the great ones come from that (France, US etc). I had a Canadian mate and we'd always joke that the thing that bonds Australian's and Canadians together is that our national anthems suck!! (so does the NZ one for that matter).

He always said that the US national anthem just made you want to get out there and kill some iraqis :D

Our flag and anthem are bog average so happy to switch them up.

Also blatantly obvious that Australia Day should be moved to our true national holiday - Cup Day!

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Australian_Coat_of_Arms.png

Our coat of arms is awesome and should be incorporated on the flag. Take away the wattle, put it in the middle of the flag and even have the southern cross around it

Our national anthem was better before it had that stupid intro that the AFL always play. Sounds like Star Wars is about to begin.

Really? I love the anthem that is played at the footy. Julie Anthony sings it so well, and the backing music gets me pumped up for whatever I'm doing. If anyone's interested, this is the one the AFL uses:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back