Libbas goal in the 97 prelim

Remove this Banner Ad

I was ten, in one of the bays on the ground level.

Horrific. Walking out with 10,000+ silent people was eerie.

I was a hot headed 19 year old, came close to punching on with a crows supporter trying to shove his scarf in my face at the end

A sharp decline in sexual libido occured post September 97’ leading to forced migration into the Western and Northern suburbs of Melbourne as a result.

Domestic Violence levels also rose, leading to a sharp increase in male incarceration rates within the inner west as well.

These broken homes were not a thriving environment for children of that era to grow and prosper - I give you the Melbourne Gangland War 1998 - 2010.

Mark West was one of the reasons we had a match winning lead (or so we thought) in that game.

He only played about 15 games all up from memory but he was almost unstoppable in this game.

Re: Libba’s behind/goal, I think I’ve said it in the 10959 other threads about 1997 along with several other posters but at the time from where I was I definitely thought it was a goal.

I only watched highlights of the game after the 2016 GF and several other things stood out to me:

- The first of our missed chances in the last quarter was when Jose Romero hit the post from a shot on the 50. You can see from this chance that James Cook is all by himself in the goal square, but Jose just doesn’t see him. If he did see him and he passed it, it’s all over - Cookie has 6 and is 40m in the clear.

- There is a passage of play when we were still only just in front when Scott West emerges from a clearance on the win in space. Michael Martin is running alongside him like a headless chook instead of providing a shepherd, or ahead him. With no one shepherding, and no runner ahead of him which Martin should’ve been, West gets caught instead of getting an Inside 50 and it’s holding the ball. Absolutely crucial bit of play - was furious at Martin (who I never liked - complete dud) when I saw this

- Its been said before but our players totally lost their heads in the last quarter. Leon Cameron did a kick in, when we were still in front, that went straight to a Crows player. But the most telling bit of play of our players doing crazy things is when the Crows launch an Inside 50 - we are still just in front - and Matt Croft takes a spectacular defensive mark, but then immediately plays on instead of taking his time and looking to control possession. Just total craziness - if we did that, we could have knocked 30 seconds or a minute off the clock and held on. Nothing actually came from Crofty playing on - in fact it leads to the missed Mark West shot - but it is still just total craziness.

- Re: the Mark West shot, because I was up the other end and it had been so long since the game, my recollection of it was that he was about 25m out, he wasn’t, he’s actually just inside 50 on the run. Still a chance he should have nailed but not as falling as I remember.

- Again, been said before but the Chris Grant missed shot after they had hit the front is another face palm moment. If either one of them - Hudson or Grant - provides the shepherd it’s a goal, no question. Again, our players just lost their heads.

- Some people I’ve seen have blamed Wallace for the loss, ie Romero playing injured, not putting someone else on Jarman, not flooding the s**t out of the backline when the Crows got on a roll etc etc. For me, none of these are relevant - I don’t blame him, I blame the players. If one of our chances goes through, or our players don’t have a meltdown and keep their cool, we win the game, we are in the GF and Wallace a week later would likely be remembered as a club immortal and the man who broke the curse and the drought instead of Luke Beveridge. I feel sorry for him in this sense - coming so close to being a legend and then having it stolen away from him. Instead he is remembered as another coach who couldn’t quite get there, along with Grant Thomas, Neil Craig etc who Plough was so much better than.

So there’s another post from me on the 1997 prelim = a day that shall live in infamy.

The first turning point of the game was when modra went down. It took until three quarter time for adelaide to get any forward structure. That was when your mids and half backs ran out of legs.

The second momentum shift was at half time when your players were celebrating leaving the field. As if the job had been done.

The next momentum shift was Andrew Mcleod into the middle and the symbolism of shaun Rehn throwing off his knee brace. You had no answer to Mcleod because no one had ever seen him play onball. A perfectly balanced fast elusive skilled player born to play big games. Just one of those things.

The next shift was that point. The way nobody went back to set up after a goal tells you. Your players knew that adelaide finished hard and fitness was superior. Niel Craig responsible for that.

When the last half of the game become kaos Ball it was adelaide young players only getting a game because of the large injury list they had, that stood up.

Edwards kept his head and covered the goal line enabling him to do that Smother.
Goodwin took defensive marks and provided an option despite whatever was coming at him.
Johnson never stopped running .Followed his Coaches orders.
That man mcleod.

Adelaide had a long injury list. The first three of those 4 wouldn't of been playing if Not. They all were critical in that 15 minutes of kaos ball. Adelaide Coaches box was full of guys who had been there and done it at the highest level. Probably the major factor in the end result.

There was an obvious free to jarman not paid in that quarter and he also missed a sitter.

The first turning point of the game was when modra went down. It took until three quarter time for adelaide to get any forward structure. That was when your mids and half backs ran out of legs.

The second momentum shift was at half time when your players were celebrating leaving the field. As if the job had been done.

The next momentum shift was Andrew Mcleod into the middle and the symbolism of shaun Rehn throwing off his knee brace. You had no answer to Mcleod because no one had ever seen him play onball. A perfectly balanced fast elusive skilled player born to play big games. Just one of those things.

The next shift was that point. The way nobody went back to set up after a goal tells you. Your players knew that adelaide finished hard and fitness was superior. Niel Craig responsible for that.

When the last half of the game become kaos Ball it was adelaide young players only getting a game because of the large injury list they had, that stood up.

Edwards kept his head and covered the goal line enabling him to do that Smother.
Goodwin took defensive marks and provided an option despite whatever was coming at him.
That man mcleod.

Adelaide had a long injury list. The first three of those 4 wouldn't of been playing if Not. They all were critical in that 15 minutes of kaos ball. Our ia hung ox was full of guys who had been there and done it at the highest level. Probably the major factor in the end result.

There was an obvious free to jarman not paid in that quarter and he also missed a sitter.
The stuff about celebrating at half time is complete and utter B/S.

The stuff about celebrating at half time is complete and utter B/S.

Adelaide players have spoken about it and they thought a tactical advantage. They have said it was offensive. The week before they came back from a deficite of nearly 4 goals against geelong. They had come back from behind in a few games to over run sides. The game was far from over to them.

Unfortunately. Many in the Melbourne media had tipped against adelaide because of thier record playing in Victoria. They didn't look at the reasons adelaide had a poor record, only the stats. They declared you a walk up start. This was seen as a positive for adelaide in some circles. Underdog status has it advantages.

From memory is was the crowd applauding
James Cook had just kicked a goal on the half time siren.

There is usually some type of response from teammates when that happens.

If the Dogs truly relaxed against a team that was full of run in the second half, (yes the Crow obviously had more run), why did it take until the last 5 mins to hit the front.

The lead would have evaporated within 15 mins of the third quarter.

Last edited:
Adelaide players have spoken about it and they thought a tactical advantage. They have said it was offensive. The week before they came back from a deficite of nearly 4 goals against geelong. They had come back from behind in a few games to over run sides. The game was far from over to them.

Unfortunately. Many in the Melbourne media had tipped against adelaide because of thier record playing in Victoria. They didn't look at the reasons adelaide had a poor record, only the stats. They declared you a walk up start. This was seen as a positive for adelaide in some circles. Underdog status has it advantages.
What the hell has the media’s unfair opinion of the Crows got to do with the apparent “relaxing at half time” ?

I am sure the Bulldogs players did not think the game was over.

As said in my other post the lead would have been whittled away far quicker.

That man mcleod.

Adelaide had a long injury list. The first three of those 4 wouldn't of been playing if Not. They all were critical in that 15 minutes of kaos ball. Adelaide Coaches box was full of guys who had been there and done it at the highest level. Probably the major factor in the end result.

Seems from your post you’re implying I’m not giving the Crows credit for their win.

Nothing could be further from the truth. As heartbreaking as it was for us, it was a brilliant victory by the Crows - I’d almost say it was the greatest victory in their history so far, even with the Grand Final wins.

Agreed also that McLeod killed us. Brilliant footballer. He did it to us the next year too. Sensational player.

Modra going down was an interesting point. I loved the bloke - he was a spectacular player, plus he didn’t mind ripping us a new one. I remember thinking at the time that it was advantageous to us that he’d went down (not implying I liked seeing him injured - I loved him and it’s always awful to see a player do a knee - I mean it was advantageous that he wouldn’t be playing) Who knows what would’ve happened if he didn’t get injured?

Also disagree with what you said re: our players celebrating as if the game was won at half time. As Draft Pick and BrisDog have said, we’d had an excellent 2nd quarter and had kicked a goal on the siren. Nothing more than the usual players pumping each other up you see at the end of a good quarter you see in every game.

Absolutely no chance our players thought the game was won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of things conspired to get Adelaide over the line - the most important being the Dogs missing goal after goal in the last.
The Grant/Hudson debacle, Mark West bursting through CHF and spraying it, Libba's goal that wasn't paid... the list goes on.
Either way Adelaide had to play out of their skins to take advantage of the Bulldog 'yips' and they did.

That man mcleod.

1546848689872.png

Seems from your post you’re implying I’m not giving the Crows credit for their win.

Nothing could be further from the truth. As heartbreaking as it was for us, it was a brilliant victory by the Crows - I’d almost say it was the greatest victory in their history so far, even with the Grand Final wins.

Agreed also that McLeod killed us. Brilliant footballer. He did it to us the next year too. Sensational player.

Modra going down was an interesting point. I loved the bloke - he was a spectacular player, plus he didn’t mind ripping us a new one. I remember thinking at the time that it was advantageous to us that he’d went down (not implying I liked seeing him injured - I loved him and it’s always awful to see a player do a knee - I mean it was advantageous that he wouldn’t be playing) Who knows what would’ve happened if he didn’t get injured?

Also disagree with what you said re: our players celebrating as if the game was won at half time. As Draft Pick and BrisDog have said, we’d had an excellent 2nd quarter and had kicked a goal on the siren. Nothing more than the usual players pumping each other up you see at the end of a good quarter you see in every game.

Absolutely no chance our players thought the game was won.

Modra was the best forward in the league by a country mile that year. The John Coleman Medalist. Had been playing injured for a few months. He would of cracked a ton had he not got injured in July. Ricciutto was running away with the brownlow before injury months before. Modra unstoppable with a midfielder in his form.

Modra had all but snapped his acl early in the year and decided to play on until it went. Then injured his other knee favouring it

When it went snap the whole forward structure went with it. Adelaide were a much better side with smart in defence. He was forced forward. Adelaide were also more dominant with jarman on the ball. Especially when Ricciutto was playing.

Then there was tregenza. He had been adelaides wingman since inception.

The injury to vardy, the second leading goal kicker, in the final against geelong also severely hurt adelaide forward structure.

Another gifted forward in liptak also injured pre finals.

Adelaide was decimated by injury. If modra hadn't of fallen. The result would of been the same as when you played adelaide at Princess Park earlier in the year. The stats early similar just adelaide forward entries not as clean.

Adelaide were always going to beat St Kildale. St Kilda relied on a core group of players who adelaide could handle. When you dealt with them the rest folded. Adelaide were the last team to beat them. They went into the gf unbeaten in the last ten games.

You guys were different. You were more of a team, a cohesive unit.

Modra was the best forward in the league by a country mile that year. The John Coleman Medalist. Had been playing injured for a few months. He would of cracked a ton had he not got injured in July. Ricciutto was running away with the brownlow before injury months before. Modra unstoppable with a midfielder in his form.

Modra had all but snapped his acl early in the year and decided to play on until it went. Then injured his other knee favouring it

When it went snap the whole forward structure went with it. Adelaide were a much better side with smart in defence. He was forced forward. Adelaide were also more dominant with jarman on the ball. Especially when Ricciutto was playing.

The injury to vardy, the second leading goal kicker, in the final against geelong also severely hurt adelaide forward structure.

Adelaide was decimated by injury. If modra hadn't of fallen. The result would of been the same as when you played adelaide at Princess Park earlier in the year. The stats early similar just adelaide forward entries not as clean.

Adelaide were always going to beat St Kildale. St Kilda relied on a core group of players who adelaide could handle. When you dealt with them the rest folded. Adelaide were the last team to beat them. They went into the gf unbeaten in the last ten games.

Are you single handedly trying to depress us all? Cause it’s f*%king working

Talk us through the 2017 GF and we will take you through 2016.

Modra best by a country mile must be news to Sav Rocca (only 8 goals behind in 4 fewer games), Matthew Lloyd and Jason Heatley. And we were missing 3 x best 22 in Dimattina, Southern and Kolyniuk - none of them as soft as “gifted” (read: outside receiver) Liptak, but “decimated” is laughable hyperbole. Then Crows were gifted a heavily distracted/depressed Loewe (sister’s suicide) and Winmar (father’s death) leading up to GF day.
I’ve never read so much crap on here... delusional chap.

That man mcleod.
We never had an answer to McLeod until Dale Morris debuted and took him to the cleaners. Morris pretty much ended McLeod's career!

We never had an answer to McLeod until Dale Morris debuted and took him to the cleaners. Morris pretty much ended McLeod's career!

In 2000 mcleod damaged his Knee to the point he was told retirement is an option. No cartilage left was bone on bone. However his dedication to recovery after every game enabled him to play for another decade. However he was unable to run whole games out like the elite midfielders do. Unable to do pre seasons fully. Hence why he was used up forward and back in defence.

All credit to Morris as mcleod ran rings around many with an injury that should of finished him.

In 2000 mcleod damaged his Knee to the point he was told retirement is an option. No cartilage left was bone on bone. However his dedication to recovery after every game enabled him to play for another decade. However he was unable to run whole games out like the elite midfielders do. Unable to do pre seasons fully. Hence why he was used up forward and back in defence.

All credit to Morris as mcleod ran rings around many with an injury that should of finished him.

you seem to have a bit of an inflated opinion of some of your former players mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back