What I Reckon with Tony Lynn 15 - Closing Down Sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Would anyone like to elaborate more on this game plan B? The one we don't have but others do, to me, its a buzz word or phrase that has no real substance.

I would like to hear some counter argument, or explanation on what West Coasts plan B is, in comparison to their plan A.
There is no single plan b. What people are referring to is Carlton not changing anything much throughout matches. Our plan b was actually that vacant forward line and 100 defenders.

Most clubs plan B is swinging an X factor player forward or back or into the middle, or slowing the play down/ quickening it up. We didn’t really do any of that. We were chasing tail too often.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
What I think is that Bolts has a set mentality … so far to say no game B to stem bleeding.
See, I actively hate the notion of a plan B. Plan B is only needed if plan A isn't up to it.

If you look at the AFL over the past 12 years - 2007-2018 - what you'll observe is that only really two teams over that era had alternative gameplans Geelong and Hawthorn. Geelong kept the basics of their plan, but changed due as much to the change of coach as anything else, becoming less physical and less risky - and, as a consequence, less high scoring - where Hawthorn were a complete unit, most of whom had been together for 5-10 years. When you have that many players who understand plan A, then you have the luxury of creating a plan B.

Everyone else just stuck to their structure, building plan A as best they could. Sydney tinkered with a deep zone in the back half, setting it so it was just that bit too far out to kick for goal, relying on their backmen and their mids to win the ball back, run it far enough to kick it to Rhys Shaw or Jetta, who would then gun it as far and as fast as they could ahead of the ball, with McGlynn and a few others playing high half forwards ahead of the ball when they needed a target. Collingwood set their zone in the corridor side around a stoppage in layers, forcing a free kick wide to a boundary or a rushed kick into the corridor to be a turnover, and meaning that a side looking to switch ran straight into the tackler. RIchmond are fairly well known as to what their plan A is, the doggies not dissimilar. WC on grand final day even after plan A seemed to not be working in the first term, stuck to their guns and waited for plan A to start to work.

Tinkering during the week - arranging matchups and contingency matchups - is not creating a plan B. Throwing Charlie Curnow into the ruck or into a stoppage is not plan B. Cripps resting forward is not plan B, and switching Simpson to the wing and flicking him behind the ball in the back 50 as an extra is not a plan B. Coaches cultivate a plan A, and insert different components into different parts to get different results. Never mind that our players looked confused as * at times last year, resorting to dumb footy because there was not enough understanding between themselves and of the gameplan; if the players don't understand A, why would they understand A and B?

You don't pick a coach who can create plans A through to Z, you pick a coach capable of building a premiership level plan A who can then communicate that plan to their players. Bolts can communicate, certainly; we saw in his first few years how we play when we definitively know what we're doing. It remains to be seen whether he can cultivate an AFL level gameplan capable of taking us to the upper echelon of the competition, and to allow us from being horrific to being hunters.

BlueTongue

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2009
The Void
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
TEAM 17 (Flags)
On the eve of the 2019 season one of the Carlton boards greatest sons is coming home. Tony Lynn 15.

After a few seasons in the wilderness I am back with a thread that promises to offer everything for everyone.

Welcome back 'Lynn the Chin' !

...SNIP
...So what I reckon is blokes like Liam Jones, Darcy Lang, Jarrod Garlett and David Cuningham need to start showing more than just a glimpse of potential, they need to become regular contributors to the senior team. We have enough top notch draftees but our long term success will come from the lesser credentialed players on our list. For the club, as supporters we all accept and respect the re build but in my opinion 2019 can't be about this anymore. We need to start seeing progress and results.

I encourage everyone to drop by and leave your thoughts, positive or negative about where we are at and what you reckon are the current issues or building blocks for the future.

Go Blues!!
I think Liam Jones has shown more than glimpses of potential and is a regular contributor. He will continue to make mistakes, but I'm sure he will refine his game and keep them to a minimum. I can't criticise someone who continually backs themselves in with a team mentality, even if if they make the odd howler.

Okay here goes …

• Jarrod Picket …. does not have the AFL mentality. Injuries aside just does not want it enough.
  • Levi Casboult … will play 3-6 games this year if the young forwards do not hold up … will be a welcome focal point up forward for the NB.
  • Cuningham … better show something this year …. and get his body right or else ….. gone. Could possible sit on him for 1 more year after 2019.
  • Daisy … will play heaps this year if he comes in with the form off the back end of 2018 and be a VALUABLE asset moving forward.
  • Lobbe shits on Phillips. We need a project ruck OR a bought in A grade replacement next year.
  • Gartlett …. if he gets his niggles and shoulders right … can be a weapon. 50/50 whether he is on the list at season end.
  • Smurph needs to take stock and reinvent himself as a goal kicking HF. Will get midfield minutes but needs to focus on putting hurt on the scoreboard OR damaging I50's as an outside runner.
  • LeBois … sorry Soapy V justr don't see it. Gone.
  • Jones … if Jones does not turn around his form this year (back to the end of 2017) it has been a failed experiment.
  • McLovin, MmmK, CC will mark anything that is reasonably delivered to them. All 3 have great hands. NO MORE HOSPITAL BALLS.

Picket - After the glimpses awesomeness he showed last pre-season (burning off opponents), before he got injured, I was sure he would be regular 22. Unfortunately, the way he returned to training at the end of last year would seem to support your statement. A real shame - I'd love to see him in full flight.

Lobbe - Don't agree when Philips is at his best - he just cant stay on the park. However, I agree on the Project ruck and have posted this for the last 2 years. It seems we will more likely go out and poach a ready made ruck when the time comes.

Garlett - Just don't see him ever playing to full potential. Always seems to be stuck in second gear, and I think Picket has more upside if I had to choose.

Jones - Unsure about a failed experiment. As I said above, he has made some howlers, but I like to see him back himself regularly and I think he'll make less mistakes.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
This is his year to cast away any doubts that people have concerning him as a coach. He has a list of players capable of achieving progress this year so the pressure is on him to have a good season. He’s intelligent enough to realise his circumstances and he’ll be planning to have his best year as a coach. I’m excited about 2019.

An ex-high profile player and administrator barged into the coaches box during the Port Adelaide disaster last year and let the coaches know exactly what he thought about the display onfield. Bolts knows those displays won’t be accepted any longer. No more excuses.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
An ex-high profile player and administrator barged into the coaches box during the Port Adelaide disaster last year and let the coaches know exactly what he thought about the display onfield. Bolts knows those displays won’t be accepted any longer. No more excuses.
Reminds me of a scene from The Club & this sort of behaviour belongs in a fictional story, not at a professional football club.

Nov 11, 2005
Queensland
AFL Club
Carlton
I can vouch for this guys football ability, club knowledge, leadership and business professionalism. More than I can about some others....
I wouldn't care if it was Ron Barassi, David Parkin, John Kennedy sen, Norm Smith or Tom Hafey, if they don't have an official Matchday role, they should be nowhere near the coaches' box.

Again, this just reminds me of The Club with Graham Kennedy (as the club President) bursting into the coaches' box & giving Jack Thompson (as the coach) an earful. I would hope that Bolts & Co responded to whoever it was in a similar way to Jack Thompson's character responding to Graham Kennedy's character. In this case only 2 words would have been necessary "* off!!!!!"

Given our performance both on and off the field for the last 25 years, reckon this person with all the answers should have put their hand up to help out the club in a formal capacity.

Easy to sit on the sidelines and take pot shots at the ones doing the job. Gutless to do it in a public way so you can feel better for telling it how you see it while the other person has to maintain their professionalism. The person probably tells waiters and retail staff how to do their jobs ‘properly’ as well, believing they are making the world a better place by imparting their wisdom.

start - not much else going on around here this time of year.........

Okay well here is what I reckon.

We as fans are so disconnected to the modern game tactics that it makes it difficult to comprehend what is actually going on. I giggle at the comments about not having a plan B. Most of us would not have any idea what the plan A is.

Twenty odd years ago you could go to a game and have a pretty good sense to what is going on. Nowadays I don’t feel many truly know what is going on.

There needs to be more education to the modern game so us fans can actually feel like we have some semblance of knowledge. The clubs are not willing to divulge and the bafoons that are on special comments offer little more than a player dossier of useless facts.

I will move on now.

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton
Get me on that table with Jo Silvagni and I will be forever in your debt!
I can bring guests to that function. Its a couple hundred for a 3 course meal, drinks & getting to see me John Travolta style take over a dance floor in extremely tightly fitting in the front region slacks & massive collared shirt open to my belly button. The night will be forever etched, nay, burned into your memory !

Okay well here is what I reckon.

We as fans are so disconnected to the modern game tactics that it makes it difficult to comprehend what is actually going on. I giggle at the comments about not having a plan B. Most of us would not have any idea what the plan A is.

Twenty odd years ago you could go to a game and have a pretty good sense to what is going on. Nowadays I don’t feel many truly know what is going on.

There needs to be more education to the modern game so us fans can actually feel like we have some semblance of knowledge. The clubs are not willing to divulge and the bafoons that are on special comments offer little more than a player dossier of useless facts.

I will move on now.
gotta say, I never had any idea of a game-plan back in the 70s, 80s & 90s - we were just better at winning lots of games than other clubs - I'm sure there was some semblance of a structured plan - parko and his corridor for instance - I'm just not sure I need to know - have no idea how my car or computer work but I know I enjoy both........

Last edited:
gotta say, I never had any idea of a game-plan back in the 70s, 80s & 90s - we were just better at winning lots of games than other clubs - I'm sure there was some semblance of a structured plan - parko and his corridor for instance - I'm just not sure I need to know - have no idea how my car or computer works but I know I enjoy both........

My point is the game wasn’t complicated back then, it was simple.

Nowadays it is incredibly complicated but there is little education for the punter to appreciate what they are trying to achieve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back