WBBL|04 Season 2018-19

Remove this Banner Ad

yep; cooked. all out for 118. Quality bowling and some exceptional fielding efforts had the Heat on the ropes through the middle of that innings. Well done to the Renegades. Looking like quite a good side, compared to the first 3 WBBL's.

Sophie Molineux a deserved BoG, too, with 50 from 52 and some quality moves in the field.

Last edited:
That makes the fight for 4th place very real and imminent. Scorchers qualifying would provide a higher chance of a tight semifinal contest, but to hell with them, the future is now! Should also mention an excellent catch by Duffin, going back with the flight, true courage displayed by a true shinboner.

And speaking of fielding, I think that is precisely what got Sydney's Thunder over the line today. Not just catching, but direct-hit run outs and a sharp stumping from Priest removing Osborne on her first ball. The full toss from Gibson that wasn't no-balled is another thing bound to stick out after a narrow margin, Reakes (I think) did take a step or two down the pitch but it still looked way too high to me.

That makes the fight for 4th place very real and imminent. Scorchers qualifying would provide a higher chance of a tight semifinal contest, but to hell with them, the future is now! Should also mention an excellent catch by Duffin, going back with the flight, true courage displayed by a true shinboner.

And speaking of fielding, I think that is precisely what got Sydney's Thunder over the line today. Not just catching, but direct-hit run outs and a sharp stumping from Priest removing Osborne on her first ball. The full toss from Gibson that wasn't no-balled is another thing bound to stick out after a narrow margin, Reakes (I think) did take a step or two down the pitch but it still looked way too high to me.

50/50 on the non no-ball call, looked bad live but it might have been just okay. Remember it's standing position not batting position for those calls.

Sort of hope the Scorchers qualify as I can watch Lanning all day long and not be bored.

Thunder vs Renegades at 1:50pm AEDT today - should be a quite important match for the ladder outcomes. Renegades have a chance to cement a reasonable position.

Strikers vs Hurricanes at 2:10pm AEDT is a chance for the Hurricane's few good players to perhaps get a win, but I reckon the Strikers will beat them comfortably.

Renegades just couldn't get out of second gear. Our bowlers are traveling as well as you could hope in terms of a collective unit, defending a modest total against this Thunder batting line-up is probably a case of now or never.

Sophie Devine again falling just short of a century, this time 99*, at the upgraded/newly-named Karen Rolton Oval. Only saw the last 6 balls of the innings (the first of which possibly Hepburn put one down on the boundary, didn't have the sound on so I'm not positive), but it looks like a cool venue from what little I saw. Worth noting the Kiwi's knock given Australia take on NZ in an ODI there later next month.

139 isn't the worst total by the Renegades, but ya just can't help but think it won't be enough.

Strikers making a massive 5-189 has put the Hurricane's in an almost impossible position to win. Sophie Devine and Tahlia McGrath were superb. If Devine had got more strike throughout the earlier part of the innings, a 100 was a shoe-in...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Satterthwaite actually making the most of her size and athleticism for a change, great catch.
Wow she's done it again, this time in the form of a superb (and admittedly fortunate) run out, what is this fantasy!

Wow she's done it again, this time in the form of a superb (and admittedly fortunate) run out, what is this fantasy!
And then undoes all her good work with textbook right-arm slow junk, back to reality.

If we lose I’m blaming Blackwell
Nah she did her part even if Tahuhu held that sitter, didn't panic and made up for the slow start.

of course it's Blackwell who hits a 6 to win it when they needed 5 to win off the last over... she definitely paced herself in a more old-fashioned way, but it definitely worked, too; and of course a deserving BoG.

Nicola Carey coming in late and hitting a few boundaries was perfect fodder for the run chase to be successful.

Redmayne and Pyke needed 24 off the last two overs and Redmayne on 49 can hardly get any strike, but luckily for the Hurricanes, Pyke has made 12 off 5 balls with a few boundaries just now which has put the Hurricanes in the box seat to actually win needing 12 off 7.

EDIT: Then Redmayne smacks a 4 on the last ball of the 2nd last over to make it only 8 required off the last over and she goes to her 50, appropriately.

by the time the keeper managed to bring the ball back to the bails, it seemed like it was really really close to being safe/out line-ball sorta thing, so I was OK with the ruling, in that case.

two wickets in the first two balls and they stuffed up a lot there in the last over, the Hurricanes, but they manage to hit a 4 on the last ball to tie the match which takes it to a super over... ok wow, I can't believe they both failed to make the 8 in the last over required to win and also after the circumstances of the over itself, I'm shocked they managed to hit a 4 on the last ball, too haha

And then the botched stumping was given out, what a s**t show the end of that innings was.

Screenshot of the run out not given earlier btw:
Screenshot_2019-01-08-16-53-41-06_zpsdqkhalze.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back