Jeff Garlett in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Islanda22

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2014
Australia
AFL Club
Melbourne
What does he need to do to get back into the 22?

Does he get a game Round 1?

I personally have him over Spargo up forward but i think Goodwin has him on the list just in case of injuries or form

I think Spargos already gone past him myself, with his effort he brings compared to Jeff. Watched a couple of last years games in the off season when jeffy played and some of his defensive efforts left a lot to be desired. Throw in weak efforts of going one handed at the ball, and poor kicking and handpassing, as things he has to rectify as well if he wants to play in the ones again, because again, Spargo has him covered there. I know Spargo doesnt hit the scoreboard as much as jeffy could but his pressure and skills are more beneficial to the team overall imo. Also I expect Spargo still has a fair bit of improvement to come from what we've seen of him so far. Thought it was a good first year from him off a limited prep.

From the looks of it Spargo may put in a bit more pressure. Garlett will kick you more goals and I love it when he’s on. He’s massively out of favour with Goodwin it seems. If he works hard he could certainly play a bog role for us. Spargo needs to keep playing to though IMO. He’ll be a gun.

Jeffy goes either of two ways. He gets a kick up the pants and either, cracks the shits and pots around in the VFL until he learns his lesson. Or works hard over preseason to get back into the 22.

I'd like to see Jeffy get to his best again. He's got a case of Tyson-itis. I still think he has enough talent and pace still to warrant a spot if he works hard enough for it, but that's completely up to him

Jeffy goes either of two ways. He gets a kick up the pants and either, cracks the shits and pots around in the VFL until he learns his lesson. Or works hard over preseason to get back into the 22.

I'd like to see Jeffy get to his best again. He's got a case of Tyson-itis. I still think he has enough talent and pace still to warrant a spot if he works hard enough for it, but that's completely up to him

Tysons work rate was fine, if anything I think he worked harder towards the end of his time at Melbourne than his BNF season. He just wasn't good enough

Tysons work rate was fine, if anything I think he worked harder towards the end of his time at Melbourne than his BNF season. He just wasn't good enough
I should clear that up, by Tyson-itis i mean he has shitty second years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he don’t get a early game he my struggle to get in. If he gets a early game will need to be very concistant to hold his spot. I can als see Bradford going past him if don’t get in early.

Jeffy just needs to do what he did in 2017.

#1 for I50 pressure acts in the comp in that year I'm fairly certain. Or at least he was tracking that way at some point in the season.

I like Spargo a lot and definitely see him as best 22, but come round one it's all to be played for. Have seen too many players have second-season syndrome to be confident that he'll still be this high in everyone's estimations as the season goes on, and have also seen Garlett bounce back now more than once from a disappointing season to fire again.

I like Spargo a lot and definitely see him as best 22, but come round one it's all to be played for. Have seen too many players have second-season syndrome to be confident that he'll still be this high in everyone's estimations as the season goes on, and have also seen Garlett bounce back now more than once from a disappointing season to fire again.

Garlett has "bounced back" once by my count, and he left a club for a fresh start to do it.

Spargo is ahead of him, as is Hannan, although talk of Bedford getting ahead of him this season is silly.

Garlett has "bounced back" once by my count, and he left a club for a fresh start to do it.

Spargo is ahead of him, as is Hannan, although talk of Bedford getting ahead of him this season is silly.
2016 he was dropped after the hawthorn game in the wet. 2017 makes the All Australian squad. So i'd say he's bounced back here once before

2016 he was dropped after the hawthorn game in the wet. 2017 makes the All Australian squad. So i'd say he's bounced back here once before

Kicked 29 goals and played 17 games, so 3/4 of the season and a reasonable return in 2016. Played 11 games last year and 9 in his last season at the Blues. Only time he's played a similar number of games was his first season at Carlton. I guess it all depends on what you deem worthy of "bouncing back" from.

Jeffy just needs to do what he did in 2017.

#1 for I50 pressure acts in the comp in that year I'm fairly certain. Or at least he was tracking that way at some point in the season.
I was about to make this exact point.

Wtf happened to him? He literally fell off a cliff in regards to I50 pressure! Why couldn't he put any pressure on in 2018, when he was one of if not the best pressure player in the comp only 12 months earlier?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back