Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Very interesting article. Why is this Pucovski guy not in the squad yet?

Can understand the allure of Labusunscreen based on these stats even though he shouldn't be in there. Can understand not wanting to throw Pucovski in too early and holding him back and can understand giving S.Marsh the extended run he has had.

Cannot understand how Patterson is never spoken about and how on Earth Burns was shunted after being parachuted in for SA for Finch...Finch for crying out loud. Selectors do not seem watching Shield, let alone analysing data from it.

Can understand the allure of Labusunscreen based on these stats even though he shouldn't be in there. Can understand not wanting to throw Pucovski in too early and holding him back and can understand giving S.Marsh the extended run he has had.

Cannot understand how Patterson is never spoken about and how on Earth Burns was shunted after being parachuted in for SA for Finch...Finch for crying out loud. Selectors do not seem watching Shield, let alone analysing data from it.

Labusunscreen is an interesting addition to the list of different Labuschagne typos.

There was certainly an intention to come forward more. There were some positive signs to take from his innings. Not saying he's all fixed now but changes like that are not going to happen overnight.

This graphic doesn't scream of someone who refuses to believe he doesn't have a problem with his technique.

There's truth there, but in Perth I felt he was staying back further than he normally does - or did in Adelaide. It was almost like he decided to give himself as much time as possible, and as a result never did anything except go back from a deep start. (I'm not saying I know what was going on in his head, its just how it looked.)

Lenny Pascoe was from that part of the world. He was born Leonard Durtanovich.

Interesting to read about him a bit. Apparently he was bullied by the Chappell brothers at junior levels lol. But he was also the most fiercest of the Lillee-Thomson-Pascoe triumvirate, so much so that a hospital ward was named Pascoe-Thomson ward. Also says he loved hitting people in the head but changed after hitting Sandeep Patil once in the head. The Viv anecdote is absolute gold.:D

The only batsman I ever wanted to hit was Viv Richards. He made me angry a lot. So this one time in Adelaide, he came out to bat, and I bowled him two bouncers. The first he top-edged for four, and now he’s looking at me chewing his gum. I bowled him another. Guess what happened? He hit it for four again. The umpire comes down and says, “That’s it you’ve bowled your two.” And Viv’s going, “No let him bowl more”. Greg Chappell from behind the stumps goes “Slippery, if you bowl one more, I will send you off the field.”

A nice read about him.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/cricket/pacers-psychology-is-like-the-rock/

How did I miss the point? You suggested that CA could monetise a second XI tour and I responded to that? The noise about Big Bash disrupting the Shield season wasn’t loud last season when our batsmen were scoring hundreds for fun. We are just unfortunately going through a period were our batsman aren’t as good as the previous generation. It all starts and is going wrong at the grass roots level. An overhaul is needed from the ground up. Our second XI playing simultaneous to our test side isn’t going to make Mitch Marsh score hundred after hundred overnight.
People have been raising issues with it ever since they split the summer over it and what because Steve Smith papered over the cracks that means that the issue doesn’t exist and we should just sit back and wait for the next Steve Smith.

You fascination with the A tours making money just makes no sense the Tac cup makes no money yet it is vital for the success of the AFL. If it’s a waste to invest in player development why bother having a national set up?

With no red ball cricket how is anyone going to push there claims for the test side? They are all off playing club cricket or big bash if they had A games on not only would you have blokes fighting for selection you would have younger blokes getting more exposure to a higher level

People have been raising issues with it ever since they split the summer over it and what because Steve Smith papered over the cracks that means that the issue doesn’t exist and we should just sit back and wait for the next Steve Smith.

You fascination with the A tours making money just makes no sense the Tac cup makes no money yet it is vital for the success of the AFL. If it’s a waste to invest in player development why bother having a national set up?

With no red ball cricket how is anyone going to push there claims for the test side? They are all off playing club cricket or big bash if they had A games on not only would you have blokes fighting for selection you would have younger blokes getting more exposure to a higher level
Money makes the world go around. Cricket Australia is a business. I understand it’s not ideal that nobody is playing shield cricket at the moment, but that’s life and it’s never going to change. There are bigger issues than that, like the development of grassroots level and the current pathway.

12 Man Squad for the Two Tests- get these matches with bans over and done with without chopping and changing:

Marcus Harris
Shaun Marsh (Warner)
Usman Khawaja
Peter Handscomb (Smith)
Marnus Labuschagne
Travis Head
Tim Paine
Pat Cummins
Mitchell Starc
Nathan Lyon
Josh Hazlewood

Peter Siddle

Means Handscomb and Marsh keep their spots for these two matches and are then replaced when the Ashes come up with Warner and Smith. Side is set out in a way that will allow the top 6 to bat in a position they will bat in the Ashes to gain some familiarity.

What about when Handscomb and/or SMarsh make tons against Sri Lanka?

Money makes the world go around. Cricket Australia is a business. I understand it’s not ideal that nobody is playing shield cricket at the moment, but that’s life and it’s never going to change. There are bigger issues than that, like the development of grassroots level and the current pathway.

CA is not-for-profit organisation.

A games are part of pathways and yeah they need a big shake up. Shouldn’t be playing T20 in pathways as a kid. If you get the pathways right you will make more money as you will have a better product

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We took 17 players on the 2015 Ashes tour including Cummins who replaced Ryan Harris. It will be a big squad.

What I reckon we'll go with:

Batsmen: Warner, Harris, Khawaja, Renshaw, Smith, Head then someone or some two out of Maxwell/Labuschagne/Bancroft/Wade
AR: M Marsh or Stoinis depending on second half of Shield season form (deal with it, a pace bowling AR is going)
WK: Paine, Carey
Pace: Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Richardson, Siddle (one up and coming tearaway, one reliable back up)
Spin: Lyon, Agar (they always take Agar)

I actually think with Smith and Warner coming back they'll leave Shaun Marsh behind.
Pattinson should be ready

This is the current batting group we have:
Openers- Renshaw (11 tests), Finch (5 tests), Burns (16 tests), Bancroft (8 tests), Harris (3 tests)
Middle Order- Labuschagne (2 tests), M. Marsh (31 tests), S. Marsh (37 tests), Khawaja (38 tests), Head (5 tests), Handscomb (15 tests)

Could we use this series just to sort the players out and find which ones should be thrown away? Instead of trying new blood, let's just clear the deadwood by giving them a last few chances.
So some more last chances for the Marsh boys?
Why not

Watching Pattinson bowling now and he is actually pitching the ball up, got a LBW and had a few more shouts.

Get him back in the test side ASAP. PATTOMAN

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Youre finding it hard to mount a case for selecting the Marshs.

They are rolled gold proven failures
Yes they are, but so is Handscomb who is also getting a run that gets a free ride mostly around here because he wears a Bushranger hat, it's where we are at. Even Warney agrees with me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back