Training 2019 Preseason

Premium

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Medicos will be ultra cautious with Jack. It’s an injury that is fine right now but we want to make sure we have some “insurance” so that that he doesn’t hurt it again. That means plenty of gym and and strength work inside.
Max King looking really good but again he will stay on a modified program for at least a few months yet. This is probably a blessing in disguise as he desperately needs to add strength to his frame. It will be a difficult task with Max as we want to add strength and size but we can’t add too much bulk that it affects his greatest strength at his size which is his athleticism.
A few boys were really lighting the track up pre Christmas, I’m particularly excited by the condition of Hunter Clark, he’s bigger and stronger and more confident, he just has star written all over him. Coffield also has added size and strength. Both these boys are easily best 22 come round 1.
Paddy has been on a modified program because of his foot but joined in some scratch match work pre Christmas and looked absolutely unbelievable. Much has been written about his physique but he is so much stronger now, all of our defenders had great difficulty handling him. If he can just have a good run at it I still think he can be the player we all hoped he would be.
Hanners will still be on a modified program post Christmas due to his “tight hamstring”... Not an ideal start at a new club.
Brett Ratten came over with a reputation that we all knew about but the respect he’s earned from the playing group already is really exciting to see.
Oscar Clavarino another young player that has been super impressive.
Lew Pierce impressing being the only genuine ruck to be in full training with Longer overcoming surgery.
Doulton Langlands having issues with hamstrings.
Robbie Young one of the quickest players I’ve ever seen. Matty Parker has been really impressive in match sim. He’s really hard and likes body contact, he’s definitely made a few players wary around him already. With Gresham and Billings to play much more midfield minutes this season I think there’s a real chance one of Parker or Young could play senior footy early. Parker more
Offense first, Young definitely a defense first forward.
Wilkie looking good. A wonderful reader of the ballin the air across half back.
Jack Steele will become our best midfielder at some stage this season.
Great post MG, by the looks we may have a better season this year , we now have a lot of depth - however its going to be hard to select our best side now.
The forward line is going to be good to see how it works out , with Bruce , Battle , McCartin , Membery , Marshall all fighting for 3 positions , also the small forwards with Long , Lonie , Parker etc.

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is there a reason why we are in the last 4 clubs to resume training on Monday the 14th? The other 4 are Richmond, Melbourne, Hawthorn and North.

Some teams are starting a full week before us..

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-07/back-in-action-when-your-club-returns-to-training
all clubs have the same period of training preseason its up to the specific club how they set out that period .. some choose to go on break a week earlier for the christmas period and come back earlie in the new year others train latter into the christmas period and come back a week later into the new year ... the AFL players association have pretty solid rules preventing clubs from putting extra sessions on compared to others ... all players though have a program they take home on their break they are expected to keep too ... so nothing sinister about us coming back on the 14th ....

We don't have a great recent track record with recuperating injured players, but excited about Jack Bytel
We have the best medical support in the league. I mean we fixed Freeman, Hugh to a extent, possibly Paddy, Kept Roo going on longer than expected just to name some

We have the best medical support in the league. I mean we fixed Freeman, Hugh to a extent, possibly Paddy, Kept Roo going on longer than expected just to name some
Im not saying we dont have a good medical team but we hardly fixed Freeman or Goddard both got delisted , i wouldnt call that a win and how have we fixed Paddy ? The only way we fixed Paddy from concussion was to not play him

Dec 4, 2000
The Bay
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints LUFC
Im not saying we dont have a good medical team but we hardly fixed Freeman or Goddard both got delisted , i wouldnt call that a win and how have we fixed Paddy ? The only way we fixed Paddy from concussion was to not play him
Both were in coma's until our medico's fixed them.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Getting them medically right to play is the medical teams jobs. They were able to get both Freeman and Goddard medically right to play football.

It's not their fault Freeman lost the attributes which got him drafted or that Goddard struggled in the VFL.

Getting them medically right to play is the medical teams jobs. They were able to get both Freeman and Goddard medically right to play football.

It's not their fault Freeman lost the attributes which got him drafted or that Goddard struggled in the VFL.
Im not saying its their fault im saying its not like they got Freeman back to what he was so thats not a win in my eyes, and what about Paddy ?

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Im not saying its their fault im saying its not like they got Freeman back to what he was so thats not a win in my eyes, and what about Paddy ?
To get Freeman able to play again was a miracle in itself. I feel like your criticism of the medical team is for something they have no control over since they cant control the physiological effect serve repeat injuries have on a players elite attributes.

Paddy is physically healthy and fine to play football. He needs to work on changing his technique when approaching contests but that's a football issue not a medical issue.

Mate , you have it all wrong , im saying your post was a bit over the top saying we fixed the players you mentioned , yes they can both walk and run , but are they ever going to be AFL standard , im guessing not so thats the glass half full , anyway lets hope Paddy can get it together and not make it 3 out 3 wasted picks

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mate , you have it all wrong , im saying your post was a bit over the top saying we fixed the players you mentioned , yes they can both walk and run , but are they ever going to be AFL standard , im guessing not so thats the glass half full , anyway lets hope Paddy can get it together and not make it 3 out 3 wasted picks
Medical team is in charge of getting them on the park. The rest is up to the player.

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Medical team is in charge of getting them on the park. The rest is up to the player.

Freeman played a handful of games in his first 2 seasons. I don't know why you're giving the medical staff a tick for him.

Back