Senior Max King

Remove this Banner Ad

He’s on the board Kegs. But everytime you hear Max’s name come up at the club -
Ben is spoken about joining in a couple of years. A bit of arrogance and a hint of wishful thinking...

Thanks mate.

Like i say, i just can't see him come to anyone other than us IF he chooses to leave. In 2 years we will be rising up the ladder, so he won't be seduced by another club for immediate success ..

AND he can play (and win a flag) with his twin.

We can't get ahead of ourselves.... but "you know it makes sense!" :D

Thanks mate.

Like i say, i just can't see him come to anyone other than us IF he chooses to leave. In 2 years we will be rising up the ladder, so he won't be seduced by another club for immediate success ..

AND he can play (and win a flag) with his twin.

We can't get ahead of ourselves.... but "you know it makes sense!" :D
If he leaves, it’s to us. No questions about it. Just depends on how well he settles in up there. They have some heavy hitters nursing the kids now.. But can’t ignore some of our staff talking about it like it’s a done deal already.

He’s on the board Kegs. But everytime you hear Max’s name come up at the club -
Ben is spoken about joining in a couple of years. A bit of arrogance and a hint of wishful thinking...

Not arrogance at all , more the case of the “club” that recruited him .
Very suprised the Suns picked him when there were options in the midfield available,which their
own supporters were screaming for.

Very suprised the Suns picked him when there were options in the midfield available,which their
Suns need everyone.. not just midefielders. They basically have no talls at either end with departures of Lynch and May. 2MP the exception, but had his own concerns.

There is definitely some arrogance within the club about getting Ben.. just look at our social media posts on draft night.

Yeah, I think it was pretty silly of GC tbh.
Would be more concerned about NOT getting Bing in 2 years if he went to any Melb based club.

Hope you guys don’t mind an external opinion but I really rate Max and I think he was easily the right choice for St Kilda at pick 4. Don’t listen to media tripe and the thoughts of opposition supporters claiming that you have too many talls. None are the quality of Max.

IMO he could have easily been pick 1 even after the ACL injury. In most years he probably would be but due to the strength of this years draft along with the recent failure of high end KPFs and the two bottom sides going for “safer” options, he slid to you guys.

I hope he gets his body right and if he does, I think he will be something special, could be the next buddy franklin (no pressure kid). Now it’s time to build a side around him which is the hard part. I will be following his career closely. Best of luck with him!

P.S- I know it’s probably not the right thread, but I’m interested in how you guys think hugh Goddard will go with us? Was surprised to see him delisted as he was pretty good in the VFL this season IIRC. Being delisted and then rookied by us, my expectations are not exactly high but is he worth a punt?

Last edited:
Hope you guys don’t mind an external opinion but I really rate Max and I think he was easily the right choice for St Kilda at pick 4. Don’t listen to media tripe and the thoughts of opposition supporters claiming that you have too many talls. None are the quality of Max.

IMO he could have easily been pick 1 even after the ACL injury. In most years he probably would be but due to the strength of this years draft along with the recent failure of high end KPFs and the two bottom sides going for “safer” options, he slid to you guys.

I hope he gets his body right and if he does, I think he will be something special, could be the next buddy franklin (no pressure kid). Now it’s time to build a side around him which is the hard part. I will be following his career closely. Best of luck with him!

P.S- I know it’s probably not the right thread, but I’m interested in how you guys think hugh Goddard will go with us? Was surprised to see him delisted as he was pretty good in the VFL this season IIRC. Being delisted and then rookied by us, my expectations are not exactly high but is he worth a punt?
Cheers mate we all have our fingers crossed hoping that maxy does live up to his potential

I don't want to rain on your parade after you came in here full of positivity but i don't have great expectations for hugh goddards future as an afl player. I was rapt when we picked him up and expected good things but injuries and weight gain have turned him into one of the slowest footballers i have seen. If he could regain some speed he could definitely prove me wrong but i don't expect him to do that and he just moved so slowly that i don't think he has any place in the afl

Cheers mate we all have our fingers crossed hoping that maxy does live up to his potential

I don't want to rain on your parade after you came in here full of positivity but i don't have great expectations for hugh goddards future as an afl player. I was rapt when we picked him up and expected good things but injuries and weight gain have turned him into one of the slowest footballers i have seen. If he could regain some speed he could definitely prove me wrong but i don't expect him to do that and he just moved so slowly that i don't think he has any place in the afl

No worries. I’m after true analysis, not just sunshine and rainbows so thanks for the response! Obviously there must have been a major knock on him to be delisted but here’s hoping he can turn it around.

I’m actually quite bullish on the saints recent drafting. I really liked Gresham and hunter Clark in their draft years and hoped the they slid to us at the time. Saints are starting to build a good nucleus of young players imo so keep the faith. Good luck for the year ahead.

No worries. I’m after true analysis, not just sunshine and rainbows so thanks for the response! Obviously there must have been a major knock on him to be delisted but here’s hoping he can turn it around.

I’m actually quite bullish on the saints recent drafting. I really liked Gresham and hunter Clark in their draft years and hoped the they slid to us at the time. Saints are starting to build a good nucleus of young players imo so keep the faith. Good luck for the year ahead.
Cheers for the kind message for Max.

Hugh is a tough one. The thing that stands out to me the most about him is he almost always loses his feet in the contest, Not exactly the type you want playing defence IMO - Fwd is the go for Hugh if he is to make it.

Cheers for the positivity re the Saints Mr Anti Superman! :thumbsu:
I too was rapt when we first got Goddard and had high hopes
Sadly a combination of injury, bulk and a lack of confidence
Saw it all go wrong for him at the Saints! Saw in the latter half of the season
In the twos and he looked very ordinary sadly....Painfully slow
And surprisingly meek in the contest which really surprised me
Still a change of environment and possibly more immediate opportunity
At the Blues may turn it all around for him! Was once very highly touted and
Looked a smart versatile aerialist with decent skills at Jnr level!

He is still a youngish lad so you never know man! Good luck with him! :)

Keep the bulk off ala Hipwood and Daniher. Build Max's strength over several years.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep Daniher is the model. 200 cm and 89kg's when drafted now listed as 95 kg's.

Daniher played only 5 games in his first season and I'd reckon Max will play about the same for us.

If he leaves, it’s to us. No questions about it. Just depends on how well he settles in up there. They have some heavy hitters nursing the kids now.. But can’t ignore some of our staff talking about it like it’s a done deal already.

Just to be sure, I’ll travel to the GC the night before they play and start egging his house. He’ll be so buggered on match day, they’ll end up playing him in the two’s, might just get him a year earlier. :p

Oh! The sacrifrces we have to make for the team.:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Suns need everyone.. not just midefielders. They basically have no talls at either end with departures of Lynch and May. 2MP the exception, but had his own concerns.

There is definitely some arrogance within the club about getting Ben.. just look at our social media posts on draft night.
I like a bit of arrogance from the club.

A bit tired of us playing model citizen and getting reamed by the so called power clubs.
Up to the mighty culture of the Suns to stop him leaving.

And if they do, well it's not like any other Kent comes to us when we are nice guys, might as well be arrogant picks.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Shed some bulk off Hugh and he"ll be better for it.
Seemed to lose all pace with us but tye lost confidence and not getting a look in could have also contributed to his poor Saints experience.

I saw Goddard play for Sandringham one game he looked liked he couldn't be bothered running.

Hope he bothers.

I know it’s probably not the right thread, but I’m interested in how you guys think hugh Goddard will go with us? Was surprised to see him delisted as he was pretty good in the VFL this season IIRC. Being delisted and then rookied by us, my expectations are not exactly high but is he worth a punt?
Some interesting opinions floating around about big Hugh. However, there is certainly a reason Carlton couldn’t make this selection quick enough!

Go back a couple of years (to the beginning of 2016) and Goddard's biggest issue was that he put on too much size too quickly (we have a habit of doing this with young talls - Paddy, Hugh, Billy, Lewy - and limiting their ability to run). Going into his second season Hugh just needed to build his speed and endurance (and to drop some size to assist his agility). Then he snapped his achilles (which I am sure is totally unrelated to a teenager putting on large amounts of muscle then trying to play modern afl). Since then he has had a series of leg / foot injuries that have prevented him getting the conditioning he needs.

Towards the end of the year (2018) Hugh was finally starting to get some match fitness and mobility back. 2018 was always about just getting him playing consistently, and the results at the end of the year spoke for themselves.

RD 19 vs Casey he spent most of the game on Weideman (yes the same top 10 pick being talked up as the great white hope of Melbourne).

Hugh had 14 marks (more than half intercepts) and 22 touches. Was named BOG in a team that was comprehensively beaten. Casey had 55 inside 50s and about 15 more shots. Weideman had 5 marks and 2 goals. Yes Weid spent a few minutes a quarter rucking, but according to a few I know at the game Goddard had his measure all day (missed that game sadly but can tell you he had been building to that performance for a few weeks prior).

Following week he played seniors (a form related selection, which is unusual at St.Kilda lately). Yes he looked off the speed, but that was his first game back in nearly 2 years. This board piled onto the kid immediately. Meanwhile our seconds got thumped by Carltons reserves without him (yes that is how bad we are tracking). Given the following week was the last round (and we were out of finals contention) you would think we might take another look before delisting? But no, we dropped him

Went back to VFL for the last round and had 19 touches 8 marks. Along with Coff was the only Saints player that could really hold his head up as we got thumped by Collingwood. But it was the Magpies smalls that did the damage. Given the amount of ball coming into the backline he held up alright.

I would guess that most of the comments you will see on here are based on people that saw his one afl game in 2018 and one in 2016. Almost all will take pot-shots at his mobility / endurance in some way. Remember though, the kid has only just turned 22 and this will be his first real preseason.

In short he needs at least another 6-12 months of conditioning before you see any real results (don’t expect miracles as talls take longer, and given his history he may take longer than most). But if your conditioning staff get him right (and less top heavy) he is a gem of a footballer. Has great hands and has come on leaps and bounds at reading the play (12 months shadowing Jake Carlisle will do that for you). Should be no doubts about his ability, its all about whether you can get him fit and running.

Would have delisted at least half a dozen other Saints before him, and was gutted to see him go. He is a ripping character and wish him all the best with you

Last edited:
if only he can turn paddy into beau maister. remember that game v melbourne. that's the kinda breakout game we need from the player formerly known as mattress gutz
I have no doubt Paddy will have a breakout game next year if given a decent run. He has looked like exploding in a couple of games prior to injury/concussion. He looks fitter so hopefully that along with better ball movement will result in him kicking a few bags. Still dream of both Paddy and King hitting their potential in say 5 years and becoming elite KPF’s. Very unlikely but wouldn’t that be a joy to watch...

Some interesting opinions floating around about big Hugh. However, there is certainly a reason Carlton couldn’t make this selection quick enough!

Go back a couple of years (to the beginning of 2016) and Goddard's biggest issue was that he put on too much size too quickly (we have a habit of doing this with young talls - Paddy, Hugh, Billy, Lewy - and limiting their ability to run). Going into his second season Hugh just needed to build his speed and endurance (and to drop some size to assist his agility). Then he snapped his achilles (which I am sure is totally unrelated to a teenager putting on large amounts of muscle then trying to play modern afl). Since then he has had a series of leg / foot injuries that have prevented him getting the conditioning he needs.

Towards the end of the year (2018) Hugh was finally starting to get some match fitness and mobility back. 2018 was always about just getting him playing consistently, and the results at the end of the year spoke for themselves.

RD 19 vs Casey he spent most of the game on Weideman (yes the same top 10 pick being talked up as the great white hope of Melbourne).

Hugh had 14 marks (more than half intercepts) and 22 touches. Was named BOG in a team that was comprehensively beaten. Casey had 55 inside 50s and about 15 more shots. Weideman had 5 marks and 2 goals. Yes Weid spent a few minutes a quarter rucking, but according to a few I know at the game Goddard had his measure all day (missed that game sadly but can tell you he had been building to that performance for a few weeks prior).

Following week he played seniors (a form related selection, which is unusual at St.Kilda lately). Yes he looked off the speed, but that was his first game back in nearly 2 years. This board piled onto the kid immediately. Meanwhile our seconds got thumped by Carltons reserves without him (yes that is how bad we are tracking). Given the following week was the last round (and we were out of finals contention) you would think we might take another look before delisting? But no, we dropped him

Went back to VFL for the last round and had 19 touches 8 marks. Along with Coff was the only Saints player that could really hold his head up as we got thumped by Collingwood. But it was the Magpies smalls that did the damage. Given the amount of ball coming into the backline he held up alright.

I would guess that most of the comments you will see on here are based on people that saw his one afl game in 2018 and one in 2016. Almost all will take pot-shots at his mobility / endurance in some way. Remember though, the kid has only just turned 22 and this will be his first real preseason.

In short he needs at least another 6-12 months of conditioning before you see any real results (don’t expect miracles as talls take longer, and given his history he may take longer than most). But if your conditioning staff get him right (and less top heavy) he is a gem of a footballer. Has great hands and has come on leaps and bounds at reading the play (12 months shadowing Jake Carlisle will do that for you). Should be no doubts about his ability, its all about whether you can get him fit and running.

Would have delisted at least half a dozen other Saints before him, and was gutted to see him go. He is a ripping character and wish him all the best with you

Thanks! I really appreciate the views of yourself and others on this board. It's definitely interesting to see the different perspectives and I'm glad to see that Hugh had some great support by fans at the Saints. It sounds like he's had a rough time with form and injuries which I can definitely relate to seeing many young backmen at the Blues go through similar issues. Hearing an insight into his backstory I'm just happy for Hugh that he gets a second chance at AFL footy (it can be a ruthless business at times). He is definitely a chance to become a favourite of mine if he can fight back from off the AFL scrapheap. Hope you don't mind if I put this in his thread on the Carlton board for others to see and hopefully get behind Hugh?

Either way I appreciate the advice and best of luck with the Saints moving forward. You guys have a good core group of youngsters with guys like Gresham, Clarke, King, Coffield, Billings, Ross, Acres, Steele and others coming through.

Now I'll let you guys get back on topic and continue talking about how good Max King will be!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back